5E3 Amp Build

What's Hot

Comments

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    Nicely done sir!
    Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    First class!! Amazing for a first build!!! I reckon it’ll fire up fine..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    edited June 2020
    Looks good. Have you got a chassis to stick it in? I think if I ever get round to building an amp I'm going to finish it extravagantly. 
    edited June 2020
    Looks good. Have you got a chassis to stick it in? I think if I ever get round to building an amp I'm going to finish it extravagantly. 
    Do you mean cabinet? 

No waiting for it to arrive. It's being built. I've gone for standard Fender tweed for this. I will be lacquering it though with shellac. I was thinking of doing a light relic, abit like this.... not sure yet. 

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/workshop-59-fender-bassman/

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    edited June 2020
    Chassis/Cabinet yeah I guess so. Box? :D 

Tweed is cool as feck, but is it pink paisley cool? 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/162862/nad-or-new-cab-day-really-pink-paisley-amplifier-build-now-completed

Chassis/Cabinet yeah I guess so. Box? :D 

Tweed is cool as feck, but is it pink paisley cool? 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/162862/nad-or-new-cab-day-really-pink-paisley-amplifier-build-now-completed

The chassis is the metal part the wiring sits in, that's all. 

No, deffinately not pink paisley. I was going to get fudge Tolex, but went Tweed this time. Next one maybe. 
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Very good work! It’s inspiring as I have no soldering experience and that’s the part putting me off. 
    Enjoying your updates and it looks like it is progressing well. 
    Good choice of cabinet too. Where are you sourcing the cabinet from?
    So, as I wait for my speaker, multimeter, and cab to arrive, I've not done much to the amp. However on the suggestion given, I made a Dim Bulb Current Limiter today, for the first test of the amp. Pretty straight forward, parts cost £5 and took about 20 minutes. Should limit any damage to the amp if there is an error in the circuit. 

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Lamp limiter is a good idea for first power up. Hope the remaining items arrive soon.
    edited July 2020
    Advice needed please. 

I started doing my circuit and voltage testing today. 

Firstly when the amp was on the desk at an angle, i.e. with nothing supporting the non-trasformer side, the transformer was making a loud buzzing sound. See video below. When I leveled the chassis with a box, the sound stopped. Is this normal? 

Buzz. 

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
     No, definitely not normal, and the lamp is lit up too?

Is that a 100w filament lamp you are using?

Also it does not look like you have the PT bolted down properly?
    edited July 2020

60w bulb. The dim bulb tester, isn't lit up anymore than if I plugged another device in. It's not lighting up as if there is a short. 

One nut is missing as I moved the earth across one. All others are tight. Put the last one back now. 

As mentioned, when I placed a box under it and leveled it the noise stopped. Voltages are being delivered as they should be. 

Just tried it at an angle with the final PT bolt attached and it's no longer doing it, so perhaps it was just the vibration of the transformer on that one point? 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Is the cover tight on the transformer?  My 5E3 build had a ringing transformer, the cover vibrating at a high pitch.

The bulb will be dropping your voltages a bit but measure all the windings and see if you're getting roughly the right results.
    Is the cover tight on the transformer?  My 5E3 build had a ringing transformer, the cover vibrating at a high pitch.

The bulb will be dropping your voltages a bit but measure all the windings and see if you're getting roughly the right results.
    Thanks. 

It seems it was that one nut missing that was causing it. I swapped the earth position previously and given they are so fiddly to install, thought I'd leave that one until I'd done the checks. 

Anyway, I've run the amp with no tubes and voltages are even in the positions they need to be. Run it stortly with the rectifier and pre-amp tubes and voltages are all there. 

My speaker arrives today, so will do the final test with the power tubes, but so far all looks good. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Blimey this is why I'd never undertake an amp build without some kind of supervision. I wouldn't even know how to build the lamp tester ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Blimey this is why I'd never undertake an amp build without some kind of supervision. I wouldn't even know how to build the lamp tester ;)
    Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFRwOnLsZI&t=6s
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3145
    tFB Trader
    Barnezy said:

60w bulb. The dim bulb tester, isn't lit up anymore than if I plugged another device in. It's not lighting up as if there is a short. 

One nut is missing as I moved the earth across one. All others are tight. Put the last one back now. 

As mentioned, when I placed a box under it and leveled it the noise stopped. Voltages are being delivered as they should be. 

A 100w bulb is better in this application. It'll allow up to 416mA of current (see Ohms law) at 240v which still is lower than the consumption of nearly every guitar amp >5w but crucially, it won't glow in a non-fault condition such as powering up with no valves installed. A 60w bulb will emit a slight glow, which may confuse the user into thinking there is a fault when there's not.

Nice build BTW!
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    RiftAmps said:
    Barnezy said:

A 100w bulb is better in this application. It'll allow up to 416mA of current (see Ohms law) at 240v which still is lower than the consumption of nearly every guitar amp >5w but crucially, it won't glow in a non-fault condition such as powering up with no valves installed. A 60w bulb will emit a slight glow, which may confuse the user into thinking there is a fault when there's not.

Nice build BTW!
    You learn something new every day.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Barnezy said:
    Just tried it at an angle with the final PT bolt attached and it's no longer doing it, so perhaps it was just the vibration of the transformer on that one point? 
    Thats good, Transformer bolts beed to be tight, the laminations in a transformer actually move under magnostriction, thats why when you run a valve amp without a speaker attached you can hear the output transformer emmiting the guitar signal...

.... but of course we would never run the amp without a speaker attached!!