Fake Jason Davis Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt Necks

What's Hot
Guys, if you see a neck on ebay or similar by Ex Fender Custom Shop masterbuilder Jason Davis then it is pretty certain to be a fake. Just watched helplessly as some poor soul wasted £700 here in then UK on one. I messaged the seller and gave him the benefit of the doubt but he never responded. These fakes have all the correct looking decals and red CS stamps etc but contain errors in the R E L I C stamp and this one had a terrible faux pas by stamping the date a year after Jason left Fender!! Seen around 30 of these go for sale over the last two years. They are usually highly flamed and heavily relic'd on the rear. They originate from the US where an unscrupulous seller is auctioning these under multiple seller Id's for around $700 a pop. Seen three for sale here in the Uk now. Buyer beware as always!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is not correct at all 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    For the attention of all Forum Members. Scoobysnack will be carrying out an audit on the factual correctness of all posts since the forum was established. Please do your best to assist with this process.
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5005
    Guys, if you see a neck on ebay or similar by Ex Fender Custom Shop masterbuilder Jason Davis then it is pretty certain to be a fake. Just watched helplessly as some poor soul wasted £700 here in then UK on one. I messaged the seller and gave him the benefit of the doubt but he never responded. These fakes have all the correct looking decals and red CS stamps etc but contain errors in the R E L I C stamp and this one had a terrible faux pas by stamping the date a year after Jason left Fender!! Seen around 30 of these go for sale over the last two years. They are usually highly flamed and heavily relic'd on the rear. They originate from the US where an unscrupulous seller is auctioning these under multiple seller Id's for around $700 a pop. Seen three for sale here in the Uk now. Buyer beware as always!
    Have you got links for any of these previous auctions on eBay? I’ve tried searching in eBay completed items using various relevant search terms but nothing has come up.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    It certainly is correct. There were absolutely loads of them on ebay. No links now cos ebay links go dead quickly these days. I have quite a few jpegs of them. One ended up at a rather well known UK Custom Shop dealer for sale on a body and it fooled them. I messaged the shop and they realised on close inspection it was a fake.I won't name the dealer here, they are much respected and it was an easy error. 
    The question is if they were real necks....why the heck would you take the neck off a $3k masterbuilt guitar and sell it for $700? I mean they never parted the rest of the guitar out...no bodies ever surfaced for sale. 
    Funnily enough I just saw at the weekend a fake decal set on ebay and on that sheet were two builder signature decals for Mike Ponce who was only a Masterbuilder there for 1998-9. They looked pretty realistic and even had the serial numbers below the signature ready. 
    Next question...why are you dragging this one up @scoobysnack Have you some evidence to prove otherwise? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    This is most intriguing........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    Okay, further proof. Page 82 in the official Fender produced book The Dream Factory Jason Davis left the Custom Shop March 5th 2004'

So here's a lovely fake neck of his stamped 2005 that was for sale on Reverb a couple of years back! Lol.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/5706059-fender-custom-shop-masterbuilt-jason-davis-62-stratocaster-neck-tuners-usa
    SNAKEBITE said:
    This is most intriguing........
    Not really, its old news now. There's fakes everywhere, so good, some bad, some expensive and some cheap. Its always been that way.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    I remember seeing one of these in 2008 with JQD stamped on neck base, really highly birdseye neck being sold as a Fender Masterbuilt 72 Tele - it was infact a a truly horrible partcaster

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I recently spent 700 quid on a custom shop neck, builder stamp says David Jason. Anyone know if this is legit?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Yep F A K E.....those are the very same pics the seller used on ebay..or are you the seller? How odd. 

The absolute confirmation of these fakes came from the head of the Fender Custom Shop MIke Eldred on the official Fender Forum. Sadly when Eldred left Fender the powers that be removed his section 'Ask Mike Eldred' from the forum and all the threads that went with it.

The red Custom Shop stamps were being sold on ebay at one stage, Fender stopped using them around 2000.

This is what a relic neck looked like in 2004....spot the difference guys. 

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    If someone can't tell the difference between a fake and a real one, in terms of quality then who are the real con artists? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Well with the fakes selling for $800 plus, you'd have hoped they were reasonably good lol
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2192
    I've definitely noticed these necks appearing periodically on partser Strats but I've never seen any fully assembled Jason Davis Strats
  • If someone can't tell the difference between a fake and a real one, in terms of quality then who are the real con artists? 
    guy's HERE know NOTHING at all ... Speak about shit....
    order a birdies/flamed 5A neck with dark rosewood and heavy rolled fingerboard will cost about 600$ with shipping + 20% VAT at home..
    add 150$ relicing process and 80$ fender relic tuners 
    finally add 40 euros for a bone nut

how much will it cost .....
     it's THE REAL DEAL 
    I WILL NEVER SELL this neck cause it SOUNDS fabulous on every GUITARS

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Fishboy7 said:
    I've definitely noticed these necks appearing periodically on partser Strats but I've never seen any fully assembled Jason Davis Strats
    ask Jason ... he build BASS now... and some guitars

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6684
    Hey  guys, after some deep investigation I think I have uncovered who is selling these necks... 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Strat54 said:
    Well with the fakes selling for $800 plus, you'd have hoped they were reasonably good lol
    LOL what...
    you never tried one...
    don't speak here...
    YOU KNOW NOTHING AT ALL ....

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smith 57 Dakota over grey , Smith 63 ultimate relic 3ts and Cruz 65 ultimate HSS Floyd Richie Sambora replica ....
This discussion has been closed.