What is the definitive acoustic bass?

What's Hot
EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
We all know the iconic models of the guitar and electric bass world

Bass - Jazz, P, Stingray
Electric - LP, Tele, Strat
Acoustic six string - D-28, D-18, OMxx, J45

(List not exhaustive - don't take offence if I've missed your favourite model).

But what are the iconic or pre-eminent acoustic basses? This seems to get far less discussion. For myself I've owned a Breedlove 5 string Atlas series that was very nice, but a jumbo Guild acoustic bass has been what really stood out for me (although the pickup in the Breedlove was better). It seems to get a decent showing at MTV unplugged sessions, presumably for good reason. I wonder why there seems to be so little discussion on this, and indeed why major brands don't seem to be competing in this market niche more. Is there such a thing as an iconic acoustic bass?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Being completely blunt, I think its because acoustic bass guitars are pretty much pointless for the vast majority of bassists. 

If you use them unplugged, they aren't loud enough to compete with anything else. An acoustic guitar will drown one out. 
    If you amplify them, then you may as well just be using a solid body. 

I think that most people who want an "acoustic bass tone" probably want a double bass anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    My idea of the ultimate acoustic bass is Danny Thompson’s upright - ideally, played by DT himself.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Being completely blunt, I think its because acoustic bass guitars are pretty much pointless for the vast majority of bassists. 

If you use them unplugged, they aren't loud enough to compete with anything else. An acoustic guitar will drown one out. 

I think that most people who want an "acoustic bass tone" probably want a double bass anyway. 

This

I think they mostly exist so bass players don't look out of place at acoustic gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited June 2020
    As above, so...
    P bass with an f hole painted on it.

The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72263
    Guild B-50.

(With the reservations already mentioned about all acoustic bass guitars - which for once is probably the right name...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24211
    Double bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4131
    Another vote for the Guild as its the only one I can recall being used anywhere, that said - Fretmeister’s right as usual: the correct answer is a double bass.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6102
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    I found the Taylor Baby one to be good fun to play and it had a nice amplified sound that sits better with acoustic guitars. However, the strings on that thing cost around £40 a set :(
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    equalsql said:
    Is the hat necessary for the full acoustic effect?
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Kebabkid said:
    I found the Taylor Baby one to be good fun to play and it had a nice amplified sound that sits better with acoustic guitars. However, the strings on that thing cost around £40 a set :(
    Yep , The GS Mini is pretty versatile , can do "woody" double bass type tones to more of a Jazz Bass growl .
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24211
    Kebabkid said:
    You don’t normally buy Flatwound bass strings, do you?!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055

This

I think they mostly exist so bass players don't look out of place at acoustic gigs.
    on MTV Unplugged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    My shuker fretless has under saddle piezos and sounds as “acoustic” as a bass probably can... it however really doesn’t look acoustic in the slightest....