Dame Vera Lynn

What's Hot
JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436

103 is a decent innings.  RIP.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    I remember seeing her on the same bill as Hawkwind at an anti-heroin benefit gig in Crystal Palace back in the mid-80s. That was a bit unexpected.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    yorkio said:
    I remember seeing her on the same bill as Hawkwind at an anti-heroin benefit gig in Crystal Palace back in the mid-80s. That was a bit unexpected.
    Makes total sense. She wouldn't have ever touched the stuff. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    My dad always had a lot of time for Vera - He said she wasn't a great singer in the sense of Ella Fitzgerald or Karen Carpenter, but for what she represented especially during WW2 - She had a great innings and did  a lot to be proud of - RIP Dame Vera
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    My dad always had a lot of time for Vera - He said she wasn't a great singer in the sense of Ella Fitzgerald or Karen Carpenter, but for what she represented especially during WW2 - She had a great innings and did  a lot to be proud of - RIP Dame Vera

Indeed, not a great voice if considering some others of the time. However she was prepared to go to the forward areas and travelled extensivly. She would have been the same age as many of 'our boys' that she met and sang to. She deserved the reputaion as the forces sweetheart. RIP

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I was surprised how upset I was to hear this news this morning.  She wasn't someone you saw every day, but she's been a significant public figure for the whole of my life, the whole of my parents' lives, and they're now gone.

I feel very sad that she was there to see the troops come home from the war but she hasn't made it to the end of this pandemic.  There's something a little foreboding about it.
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    My dad was at school with her in the East End, some of the other kids didn't have shoes...
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    She campaigned for decent Force's pensions  too.

RIP
    When logic and proportion
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

RIP

Unfortunately this has been quietly done away with by the government
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    ESBlonde said:
    Indeed, not a great voice if considering some others of the time. However she was prepared to go to the forward areas and travelled extensivly. She would have been the same age as many of 'our boys' that she met and sang to. She deserved the reputaion as the forces sweetheart. RIP
    Philly_Q said:

I feel very sad that she was there to see the troops come home from the war but she hasn't made it to the end of this pandemic.  There's something a little foreboding about it.
    phil_b said:

RIP
    Unfortunately this has been quietly done away with by the government
    I also find it sad that at the end of even her very long life, there are still British servicemen and women stationed overseas where they have no business being sent, and that ex-servicemen are still treated so poorly by their country. The original intent of her most famous song is in danger of being forgotten and turned into a bit of meaningless nostalgia.

RIP :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson