The ongoing salvation of a 70's Gibson SG...

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3821
edited June 2020 in Guitar
My first gig, at 16, in November 1992 using my dad’s friends 1974 Gibson SG:

It was a world away from my Aria Pro II MG. It sounded lovely and warm, although the G was out of tune for the majority of the gig...I have it on VHS somewhere, the set list including all-sorts from Queen to Megadeth. 

Fast-forward to November 2017:

“So, yesterday, I decided to go for a walk around the back of the village I live, little rural roads, secluded and quiet. Quite common for me on a day off. Cold, bracing, lovely. Already buzzing from a nice time with my girlfriend.

Car drove past, ah, it's my dad's old mate Joe. Big wave, he pulled up. Talked guitars. I borrowed his '74 SG in 1992 for my first proper gig, the 25th anniversary of which just passed within the last fortnight (I still have it on VHS!). 

Last time I saw the guitar, it was on the concrete floor of an outhouse, headstock snapped off. I berated him and told him it was criminal. He's since had it repaired but still when I went round to his to have a look, it was very dirty, loosely strung, no bridge, pots knackered. Again, I had to let him know that this just wasn't good enough!  

I asked him how much he would want if he chose to sell it.  As he knows my history with the guitar and how much I loved it, he has remarkably decided that if I were to be the owner it would make him very happy to know it has gone to a good home.  So it's now mine to hopefully restore to as close as possible to its former glory.”

I never found out who did the repair. Perhaps for the best!

Pics are post-cleanup:

IMG-20171129-164224
IMG-20171129-170039
IMG-3240
IMG-3241
IMG-20171129-170051     

Later that year, @OilCityPickups covered the yellow bobbins and @SteveRobinson did a full setup and rewired it:

IMG-20180328-124743

Following the work, it played well, sounded great. But the U-style neck never sat right with me. I’d play it occasionally but I didn’t like the worn lacquered neck and it never fully intonated correctly. And fast-forward to this year and my girlfriend has been my wife for nearly two years. Having had HJ Williams build me a couple of guitars, I asked if we would build me a new neck. So, he commenced:

IMG-3237

This is the disaster zone that was the original ‘repair’ job after Haydn chipped away the car filler and whatever other crap was used to hold it together:

I’m pleased to say, Haydn has managed to salvage (edit!) the fretboard. It will be re-refretted (perhaps obvious from the next pic!). The new neck he has begun to carve is yet to be glued and is made of wenge and will be oiled (I’m a total rosewood fanboy and wanted something similar):

IMG-3233 IMG-3234 IMG-3235 

Despite the Gibson heritage, it will no longer be a Gibson. So I’m not opting for decals and have asked Haydn to do an abalone inlay of the following, which is Sanskrit for breathe (I’m a bit of a meditation nerd and has personal meaning - I also considered an HP Lovecraft Elder Sign!):

IMG-3236        

UPDATES:

Finish work.  Original tuners changed to Gotoh locking, 2.5mm fret-wire and radius re-shaped to a conical 10 to 14.

P1020199 P1020200 P1020201 P1020202 P1020203 P1020204 P1020205 P1020206 P1020208 P1020209 P1020210 P1020211 P1020212
And listen to it in use here (rough and ready!): https://voca.ro/eAwOBSJ5iJy
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 30reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    Great story. Keep us updated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2573
    Love it :+1: 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    yes love that! great story, although I'm sure hayden salvaged the fretboard rather than savaged it

I preferred the uncovered pick ups though, personal preference I guess

would love to know more about the 1992 set list too, think I was still into house and techno then haha
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3821
    tony99 said:

would love to know more about the 1992 set list too, think I was still into house and techno then haha
    Christ. From memory:

Nirvana - In Bloom
    L7 - Pretend We’re Dead
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Queen - Stone Cold Crazy
    Guns ‘N’ Roses version of Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
    Megadeth - Skin Of My Teeth

Struggling a bit behind that! I’m glad to say, I don’t have a VHS player!

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    That's cool! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10913
    edited June 2020
    Awesome well worth the effort for something with sentimental value like this. Can't you reuse the veneer from the old headstock?

That repair gave me a panic attack
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4151
    It's Trigger's broom  :-)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    tony99 said:

Christ. From memory:

Nirvana - In Bloom
    L7 - Pretend We’re Dead
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Queen - Stone Cold Crazy
    Guns ‘N’ Roses version of Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
    Megadeth - Skin Of My Teeth

Struggling a bit behind that! I’m glad to say, I don’t have a VHS player!
    knockin on heavens door must've been the slowie, all the 90s kids having a neck haha
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    roberty said:
    Awesome well worth the effort for something with sentimental value like this. Can't you reuse the veneer from the old headstock?

It’s a shocker. 

I asked him to do a matching ebony veneer. The headstock looked so crap, because of whatever glues and things had been smeared on it, that I presumed it wouldn’t scrub up. I should ask for d old headstock though!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10913
    roberty said:

It’s a shocker. 

I asked him to do a matching ebony veneer. The headstock looked so crap, because of whatever glues and things had been smeared on it, that I presumed it wouldn’t scrub up. I should ask for d old headstock though!
    Yes you can hang it on the wall as a warning to the others :-) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Great story and beautiful guitar.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Jebus, that original neck repair looked like one of those car accidents that leave hardened traffic officers crying on the kerb. Great to see you bring this SG back to life.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23522
    I'm impressed by how cleanly the old neck came out.  But the headstock repair looks like it's been in a fire!
    @Moominpapa The repair reminds me of this:

@philly_q, I think that’s why the likes of @Deijavoo describe Haydn as a genius!

My band, Red For Dissent
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    He really is one clever dude. Absolutely lovely chap too.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Nice tee by the way.  Where was that?
    Deijavoo said:
    Nice tee by the way.  Where was that?
    Monroes, Workington. Oh, so long ago!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 588
    Great story and pics. I have a VHS/DVD recorder. If you’re interested in converting your gig video to DVD I’d be happy to do it. Drop me a PM. 
    Thanks, @switch625 I think I’d be too embarrassed to let anybody else see it. If I recall correctly, it has my first gig (few months before) in a school field where I sing Metallica, etc. very badly. But it has the bonus of In Bed With Chris Needham on there. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    It’s definitely not a Gibson anymore...

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom