Nylon-string for sofa noodling recommendations?

What's Hot

I’ve been getting into fingerstyle a bit lately, and I’ve got a sudden yen to learn some Bach. But it sounds a bit weird on a steel-string dread, so I’m thinking about nylon-string guitars. I learned to play on my mum’s old classical, and I quite enjoy plunking out some jazz chords on my daughter’s half-sized Yamaha, but it doesn’t really stay in tune.

I’m not planning to get seriously into classical guitar. Some Bach tunes and a bit of jazzy or bossa novaesque noodling is probably the height of my ambition. But I wouldn’t mind something a bit better than a charity-shop job, something that sounds half-decent and intonates and stays in tune. No need for a pickup. I’m not too fussed about size – I play a dread on the sofa quite happily but smaller is okay too. I don’t like cutaways or bling. New or second-hand, I don’t want to pay much more than £500.

What would you be looking at if you were me?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TrevinDevonTrevinDevon Frets: 28
    edited June 2020

I’ve been getting into fingerstyle a bit lately, and I’ve got a sudden yen to learn some Bach. But it sounds a bit weird on a steel-string . . .

Well, you say that, but ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    You probably want a "crossover" slightly narrower nut than a traditional classical, often with a radiused rather than flat fretboard.

It's a bit above your budget but, on the basis of recommend what you play :) , I'd suggest a Faith Lyra. Plays like butter etc.etc. :) .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited June 2020

I’ve been getting into fingerstyle a bit lately, and I’ve got a sudden yen to learn some Bach. But it sounds a bit weird on a steel-string dread, so I’m thinking about nylon-string guitars. I learned to play on my mum’s old classical, and I quite enjoy plunking out some jazz chords on my daughter’s half-sized Yamaha, but it doesn’t really stay in tune.

I’m not planning to get seriously into classical guitar. Some Bach tunes and a bit of jazzy or bossa novaesque noodling is probably the height of my ambition. But I wouldn’t mind something a bit better than a charity-shop job, something that sounds half-decent and intonates and stays in tune. No need for a pickup. I’m not too fussed about size – I play a dread on the sofa quite happily but smaller is okay too. I don’t like cutaways or bling. New or second-hand, I don’t want to pay much more than £500.

What would you be looking at if you were me?

I'd recommend either a Cordoba (MIC) or a Camps (Spain)

I see you are in London, and when it reopens I'd advise making a trip to London Guitar Studio (which is off Bond Street) and going there and trying a few different guitars and finding whether your ears like cedar or spruce and which brands suits your hands better than others.

A little over your budget but I'd recommend a Camps M7S, which is a flamenco guitar (which usually means less relief and lower action than a classical guitar) which I liked a lot when I played it, otherwise they have a few classicals which your ears might like the sound of more.

The Camps like the Cordobas have adjustable truss rods.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    Until I fell over and broke it, I had a 3/4 size kids classical for TV noodling.

It was far better than it should have been and really comfy for an electric player.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Get a deep cutaway so you can do heavy metal too! I have an Alvarez rc20sc. It’s awesome. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    edited June 2020
    I recently picked up a Fender 3/4 size classical guitar for a very low price new, given it's all laminated, but it's a joy to play.  It has a slight neck radius(as opposed to the usual flat no-radius most classicals have).  Once I got used to the string spacing I couldn't put it down.  It's a Classic Design CN 60S classical guitar that has a 43mm nut.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    edited June 2020
    keep looking on ebay for a few months
    you can get a £1200 RRP classical for £500 usually
    research the brands and model numbers of the spanish-made ones, and just keep an eye on it. I got a £1600 one for £600, and a £300 one for £50 (years ago, but you appreciate the ratios of price). Used market for traditional classicals is saturated I think

as soon as you want cutaways, electronics, fusion, narrow nut, there are few bargains
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited June 2020
    I just bought an Ibanez AE450. It’s basically a nylon version of Vai’s Euphorias but not quite as spiky. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    GG are discounting their Finlayson (made by La Patrie) brand.  The OO body particularly looks ideal for sofa noodling.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/finlayson/guitars/acoustic/classical-guitar-std/
  • I would definitely look at buying something second hand  from mid range  Juan Hernandez, Paco Castillo, or Camps
    I was looking for something similar last year and went for one of these, it's actually a really useable instrument!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPz-PkFxToM
    yes, I bought one recently too
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    You could try the La Patrie (Godin) Motif - It has a parlour-sized body with a full 25.5" scale classical neck - 2" nut width with a gentle 24" radius. It is one of the most comfortable classical necks I've played and I've got Brook to replicate it on the custom Cary classical they are currently building for me.

You see a demo on YouTube here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWL4cumy29c - with Bach! The latest model has a more interesting headstock and comes in at under £500 new (without pickup).

There's also the Art & Lutherie (also Godin) Roadhouse Nylon Burst - this is basically the same guitar as the La Patrie but with a cooler, simpler finish. It is currently discontinued but there  is one up on eBay at the moment (but collection only from Exeter).

I've previously had them both and would highly recommend them.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    Loads of great ideas here - thanks everyone. 
    So I think what I want is a 7/8 sized classical, in part for sofa convenience, in part because that's what I learned on and I'm nostalgic.

Do any of you nylon-knowledgeable people have recommendations? Cordoba Dolce/Parlour, Alhambra Senorita are on my radar, but is there anything else I should be looking out for? 
  • I was looking for a 3/4......7/8 nylon pre lockdown and was mulling over either a Cordoba Dolce or Iberia. Truss rods in them too. Thinking of going online with Thommann.
    Online opinion seems to tilt to the Cordobas because they're way cheaper in the US than the Alhambras are, but here it's the other way round...