P bass tuners

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
Been thinking of upgrading the tuners on my mexi P bass.
the hipshot hb7’s are a direct replacement with a bigger ratio but are a little spendy and there doesn’t seem to be any in stock anywhere.
are there any other brands that will drop straight in preferably with the ramped up gearing?
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Gotoh GB640 are also lightweight and excellent, can't recall the ratio though. 
  • Gotoh GB640 are also lightweight and excellent, can't recall the ratio though. 
    Similar ratio but the dimensions are very different to the mexi fit tuners.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    How many variants of the Hipshot HB7 are there? Make certain to purchase a set indicated as fitting Fender MIM instruments. These will have the correct length key shafts to clear the edge of the headstock. 

Schaller BM 'heads have a similar area back plate to the stock Asian ones. Again, make certain of the key shaft length before ordering.

Hipshot Ultralites will look right from the front but leave original fastening screw holes and an area of pallid finish exposed around the back of the headstock. 

IMO, if you are going to plough this much investment into your bass, you might as well choose three Ultralites and one Xtender for the E string.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How many variants of the Hipshot HB7 are there? Make certain to purchase a set indicated as fitting Fender MIM instruments. These will have the correct length key shafts to clear the edge of the headstock. 

Schaller BM 'heads have a similar area back plate to the stock Asian ones. Again, make certain of the key shaft length before ordering.

Hipshot Ultralites will look right from the front but leave original fastening screw holes and an area of pallid finish exposed around the back of the headstock. 

IMO, if you are going to plough this much investment into your bass, you might as well choose three Ultralites and one Xtender for the E string.
    As far as I’m aware the hb7 is specifically for MIM basses and need no re-drilling. The ultra lites will make my headstock look like the woodworms have paid a visit.
    was kinda hoping one of the other manufacturers made a drop in replacement for a bit less cash.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Sounds as if you already have the correct solution. The only thing to do now is stump up the money and place your order. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    I’ve never cared about the woodworm look.

Ultralites all the way.
  • Sounds as if you already have the correct solution. The only thing to do now is stump up the money and place your order. :)
    They do appear to the best most expensive solution, only nobody has got any.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • How many variants of the Hipshot HB7 are there? Make certain to purchase a set indicated as fitting Fender MIM instruments. These will have the correct length key shafts to clear the edge of the headstock. 

As far as I’m aware the hb7 is specifically for MIM basses and need no re-drilling. The ultra lites will make my headstock look like the woodworms have paid a visit.
    was kinda hoping one of the other manufacturers made a drop in replacement for a bit less cash.
    Yes the HB7 are a straight swap - I did this a couple of weeks ago. The new bushes are a bit looser.

• Yes the HB7 are a straight swap - I did this a couple of weeks ago. The new bushes are a bit looser.

Did you get yours in the UK @PrecisionGuided ? And do you think they are worth the investment .
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I got them on eBay (btnmusic) for £96.
    The no-name ones on the MIM PJ had started to fail with the black plastic sheet cracking so they needed replacing.
    The Hipshots are finer ratio and better quality.
    Worth it? Maybe, as they were a drop in, no drilling.

• I got them on eBay (btnmusic) for £96.
    The no-name ones on the MIM PJ had started to fail with the black plastic sheet cracking so they needed replacing.
    The Hipshots are finer ratio and better quality.
    Worth it? Maybe, as they were a drop in, no drilling.
    Cheers for that. Currently a 2 month wait from BTN. Will keep an eye on them though. Their price looks to be the best on them.
    The Swamp City Shakers