How to 'release' excess gear.... (or in the times of Covid: slimming down)

What's Hot
Posting for a friend.......  he knows  I am he is not alone....

"Many of us have more gear than we need. I certainly wish I could slim it down to a few guitars and a couple of amps, plus some pedals, but it seems so difficult to let them go. Too many possessions become a burden, do they not?

Of course, it all depends on what you think is too much. To me, it is all about having a few good things with character that won't let you down.  I am bad enough but I have a friend who spends (and always has) lots of money on gear, always chasing the next 'ultimate' gtr/amp/pedal...

Familiar reasons/excuses/procrastinations may include:

• I may need to use it!
  • I wil llose money on what I paid!
  • I love the look of it!
  • their commission is too high!
  • I have had it for years!
  • custom-built is hard to sell!
  • etc, etc...

I am struggling internally to sell things that I haven't used for years.  These things weigh down on me yet I can't quite feel happy to release!  What is the secret to solving this Stoic challenge? It is like giving up something you are addicted to - you actively have to WANT to let go to feel happy about it.."

Give me him your cosmik observations....

(Obviously I'm keeping the really good gear until I need to sell/trade,but don't tell the wife...)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    edited June 2020
    I’ve done exactly that this lockdown. I realised 8 weeks in that I was looking at a wall of beautiful guitars but wasn’t playing them. Each time I sat down to play them I worked through them, undecided as to which one I wanted to play and then walked away. Option paralysis. 

So I shifted a few, got it down to four played-in, well-used electrics, through a  stereo amp rig and I can’t stop playing when the opportunity arises. 

I’ve 3 acoustics and one of those might go before long too as they are not getting the use. 

I just feel this time has allowed for reflection. I’ve had bigger collections of ‘better’ guitars, but I’ve also not had this much fun playing in years; I think there’s something in that letting go and getting back to what it was all about in the first place. 

• I just feel this time has allowed for reflection. I’ve had bigger collections of ‘better’ guitars, but I’ve also not had this much fun playing in years; I think there’s something in that letting go and getting back to what it was all about in the first place. 

That's it. When I was a kid I never thought about anything other than my one guitar and playing.  I would love to get back to that state of mind, almost literally. Being a giggingording musician does require a certain amount of backup and variety but I know I have more than I need.  And there are many out there whose need is greater than mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I go through cycles, got down to two electrics for a good while and really enjoyed it, but then, largely through the COVID period, have built back up to 5 electrics. I’m fairly relaxed about it right now, haven’t got my usual urge to sell up. I think it’s largely because I have my clear no.1 and no.2, then a few pieces which are there just to bring out a different side of playing, almost as palate cleansers, or as just a bit of fun. They cost a fair bit less than the main 2 also. However, I’m pretty honest with myself that I’d be 90% as happy as I am now with just a Strat, and 95% as happy with a Strat plus something with humbuckers.

As for letting go, just do it - I’ve struggled for ages in the past with guitars that were supposedly sentimental etc. and actually freeing yourself and realising they are just guitars, and there are other great guitars out there if you make a mistake is quite liberating. I now have the attitude that nothing is sacred, if I wake up one morning and want to shift no.1, I’ll do it. Can’t imagine it right now np it never say never, it’s only an object.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I am struggling internally to sell things that I haven't used for years.  These things weigh down on me yet I can't quite feel happy to release! 
    I think we all get caught in this mindset, there are very few guitarists that aren’t hoarders. If I think round my social circle there are images of lockup’s and ‘studios‘ (usually the garage or spare room) full of PA systems, organs, random folk instruments, and everything else in between ‘just in case’. Most of it loses value and is outdated, half of it possibly only half works and the vast majority see little or no use. 

This recent clear out is one of several I’ve done in the last 7-8 years. Each time I accumulate more and each time I have to recognise the point it’s hindering my playing and go through the process again. Recognising the problem and dealing with it has been liberating, but as @dindude points out, you have to lose the sentimentality and view these as tools. 

I’d encourage you to just do it, there’s little point worrying about the ‘what ifs’ if you haven’t played something in years. Could you narrow down the absolute keepers or pieces you feel you need to ‘do the job’, whether that be gigging, recording, writing or playing for fun? 
  • @dindude and @Teyeplayer ;

Thanks for those comments, you are definitely feeling what I'm talking about.

The power possessions have over us is not to be underestimated.

I have a few things I will probably end up selling for trading here - just need to work through it all and see what needs to go. 

Cheers!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    For me I've always kind of progressed to better equipment meaning the stuff I dont use is cheaper / less desirable stuff. And while I don't use it much the amount I would get from selling is too small to be worth getting rid. Its not so much that Ive lost money on them, theyve all more than given me their dues its jsut that the risk I might want it for the sake ov £100 doesnt seem worth it.

They will get donated to the kids when they are old enough.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Too many possessions become a burden, do they not?
    The power possessions have over us is not to be underestimated.
    Only because you've persuaded yourself that stuff is a burden.

It's an interesting (if you're into that sort of thing) psych question, or perhaps its a sociological "imagine no possessions" angle.   

But, ultimately
    (a) it's just stuff,
    (b) you own it, not the other way around,
    (c) if you want more, get more, if you want less, sell it.
    (d) be careful how far you take this approach, or you'll end up running around naked in the street.

Or is it just another way of expressing some sort of OCD quest for "the best".  Rather than "which is the best guitar in the shop - I need to buy it", it becomes "which is the best guitar I've got - I'll bin the rest".

Just relax, and enjoy playing them.

I think there’s something in that letting go and getting back to what it was all about in the first place. 
    There is absolutely no way that I'm going back to a Columbus LP (vague) copy.
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah fully agree @ttony, no one needs to return to a Columbus, an encore, a satellite, etc. 

I also agree that people have very different approaches and emotions around possessions. It reminds me of a conversation I had with an old flat mate once after a few pints a couple of decades ago. He pointed out how we were so different: if he earned more money, had a faster car (etc), he was happy. Whereas, if I had a guitar and enough money for a pint and the rent I was happy. 

Neither route is the right route as you rightly point out, it’s deeply personal. For me, I’m just refreshing my relationship with possessions and music. A significant part of that has been about getting back to a more visceral passion of playing (not worrying about the odd ding, etc) and just letting go again; almost like a mid-life crisis that lacks a crisis, I guess. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4146
    I regret selling my neon pink Jackson sl3x and my Kramer tiger , and my CIJ malmsteen , malmsteen got bank balance in the black though 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    TTony said:
    I think there’s something in that letting go and getting back to what it was all about in the first place. 
    There is absolutely no way that I'm going back to a Columbus LP (vague) copy.
    :D
    I would love to go back to my Woolies Audition. Or wait, maybe not...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I’ve never sold a guitar, only 1 amp & a multi FX unit so I’m probably not the best person to ask!

• HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    At the start of lockdown I realised I had too much stuff and that most of it was sitting there unused.  What brought me to this realisation was twofold:

1.) my job will probably be affected by the consequences of coronavirus so it made no sense holding onto stuff that I could liquidise and it would probably be wise to do so in case I needed to fall back on that liquidity.

2.) values of gear will likely be affected by coronavirus too so I was ruthless with myself and didn't allow emotion to get in the way of pragmatic decision making.  I took a big hit on some pieces of gear but was satisfied that selling now would probably be better than selling in six, twelve or 18 months from now when values of non essential gear might be worth much less than they are currently.

The side effect of selling quite a few guitars and an amp rig (among other unused items) has been quite revealing.  I feel much less attached to 'things', have learned that the less I have the happier and more content I seem to feel and it's helped me prioritise what's most important to me.  

The house is much neater and has much less clutter and I've spent a small amount of what I've made from the sales of gear on redecorating the lower half of the house and making a few improvements thus resulting in a much nicer place to live.

Do I miss the gear I've sold?  In all honesty, not a bit.  Before selling I'd look at said piece of gear and the thought of parting with it would pull on the heartstrings but once the decision was made that 'this has got to go' I was resigned to the fact that I'd have to be tough with myself and since saying goodbye I don't feel any real emotional attachment to what I no longer have.  Sure they were nice things to have, and I have allowed myself to keep one nice guitar, but they don't add any value to my existence.

And, as I always tell my kids, if you can't be happy without something, you'll never be happy with.  Happiness and contentment come from within, nothing external can give you happiness.  I hope I've been a good example to them in that respect.

I'll shut up now.  Flippin' heck, some people like the look of their own type!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    edited June 2020
    Lockdown has been clearing out time. First the sheds then the loft. So it got me into a mindset of "do I use it, do I need it?". So next to look at was all my musical gear. The two cupboards I built for guitars and gear several years ago were full and quite a lot more had spilled out into spare bedrooms - not to mention the living room.

So, with 'encouragement' from my missus, I had a purge. Sold so far are one acoustic guitar, two steel guitars, one Weissenborn copy, two guitar bodies, five pedals, one power supply and one amp. Also still for sale are one resonator guitar, a rack-mount effects unit and controller, a looper and a guitar case. Net result - almost everything left over fits in the two cupboards and almost £3k in the bank. Happy missus and enough to buy another very nice guitar (that's the bit she doesn't know yet )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exactly the encouragement/thinking I wanted to hear. God, this forum is so much more civilised than almost all I have read. 
    Thank you, folks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've moved on some pedals, my HT1 and some song books. The proceeds will put a towbar on my motor.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    I've moved on some pedals, my HT1 and some song books. The proceeds will put a towbar on my motor.
    I find myself strangely excited about towbars, having fitted one myself and the possibilities it opens up for adventure.  Hope your plans work out well fella.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• I'm less excited about tow bars, but I do believe in replacing 'stock' with something else that is useful, rather than just paying the bills..  
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I do have lots of gear and its amassed slowly and things go when I'm ready. Last Christmas I realised that was the first time I used my bass for maybe one or two years. So my son has it.

Not playing is the worst for me. During lockdown I've been lusting over telecasters, jazz masters, fuzz reverb and pitch shift pedals. I've bought nothing.

If I get made redundant I know what will go. When Mrs s and I retire we are probably going to buy a flat. A while back she asked me about all my guitar gear re not fitting in a flat. I told her I'd sell it all and buy a pre war martin.

As tTony stated you own the stuff.

When it owns you then you have a problem like one of my wife's clients who met her in their kitchen because the other rooms were full of old newspapers.
  • Sell everything. All of it. Get money in the bank. Spend the money on one guitar, amp and some cool pedals. 

You first, tho.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I need to move stuff on, but I'm not very good at selling, I hate the hassle. I also have a problem in that some of my now grown up offspring are attached to instruments that I want to get rid of - but they can't afford them!