£350 for an electro acoustic - what do I want?

What's Hot
So with pretty much all gigs now cancelled, my band is looking at doing some acoustic stuff, possibly back garden/ driveway gigs. I don’t have an electro acoustic but it’s a minefield at this price point. I want it to be mainly a versatile strummer, not bothered by finger style (I have a little parlour for that). I’ll probably be running into a PA and can go through my HX effects too.

i spotted Peach doing Yamaha LL6s for £399 but they would need a preamp which is going to push the budget too high. They also have an FGX800C for £349, or an APX600 for £289. But then Sigma, Faith etc etc....

I’m pretty clueless on acoustics and will be buying blind so, well, heeeellllppppp!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    FWIW, the HX FX does a decent enough job at being the preamp for an acoustic with a passive pickup (like the K&Ks I use in my acoustics). If you don't like the pickup tone your guitar gives you, you can always try an acoustic guitar IR at the end of the chain, too! :-) 

APXs are decent and "electric guitarist" friendly. 

I use a FlyRig Acoustic when playing solo or with my mate in our little duo, not the HX FX, but that's just because it's small and light and the HX FX is velcro'd and connected to everything else on my electric guitar pedal board. If I'd had a spare HX FX I'd have happily used it. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    FWIW, the HX FX does a decent enough job at being the preamp for an acoustic with a passive pickup (like the K&Ks I use in my acoustics). If you don't like the pickup tone your guitar gives you, you can always try an acoustic guitar IR at the end of the chain, too! :-) 

I use a FlyRig Acoustic when playing solo or with my mate in our little duo, not the HX FX, but that's just because it's small and light and the HX FX is velcro'd and connected to everything else on my electric guitar pedal board. If I'd had a spare HX FX I'd have happily used it. 
    Ah ok, I didn't know I could use the HX FX as a pre amp....interesting....

I had an APX (maybe a 500? I can't remember) many years ago and you're right, it was electric guitar friendly...unplugged, it sounded like crap though, but that's not going to be the main purpose for this
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722

Ah ok, I didn't know I could use the HX FX as a pre amp....interesting....

I had an APX (maybe a 500? I can't remember) many years ago and you're right, it was electric guitar friendly...unplugged, it sounded like crap though, but that's not going to be the main purpose for this
    I don't understand the electronics too well, but my K&K pickups need to be plugged into the right impedance (1megOhm?) or they sound poor. The K&K preamp is great, the FlyRig is great and (I was surprised) the HX FX also great. Plugging straight into the desk or an audio interface (to record) was not. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    I would get the guitar you like and not worry about the electrics as long as it has a pickup. 

Almost any electric guitar pedal will have an input impedance around 1M ohm - if it’s a buffered pedal it doesn’t even have to be turned on - something like a Boss tuner will do perfectly as a basic preamp. The reason you can’t plug a passive pickup straight into a desk is because the inputs are typically 10-100K.

It’s unlikely you will need a sophisticated preamp for playing through a small PA in your driveway anyway... it’s pretty much going to sound the same no matter what you use, and no-one is going to notice too much.

Personally, I detest Yamaha APXs - the LL or FG would be a much better guitar. I also like most Tanglewood and Crafter guitars I’ve played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I'd be inclined to go for a guitar around £200- £250 ie second hand tanglewood, simon and patrick  for example.  Then I'd spend the rest on a LR baggs M1 or M80 pickup.     They are super  sounding pickups and you don't get feedback from them.

Something like this is a bit over budget, but they are superb guitars and are all solid.. I have a TW15ns and it sounds absolutely fantastic.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TANGLEWOOD-TW15NS-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-HISCOX-LITEFLITE-HARD-CASE-Excellent-Cond/274407372111?hash=item3fe3f4354f:g:PTIAAOSw6mZe82oq

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    ICBM said:

Almost any electric guitar pedal will have an input impedance around 1M ohm - if it’s a buffered pedal it doesn’t even have to be turned on - something like a Boss tuner will do perfectly as a basic preamp. 

Another gem of knowledge.  I love this forum.  Thanks  @ICBM ;)
    ICBM said:

Almost any electric guitar pedal will have an input impedance around 1M ohm - if it’s a buffered pedal it doesn’t even have to be turned on - something like a Boss tuner will do perfectly as a basic preamp. 

Agreed...never knew that!
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @markslade07 ;Eastman PCHGA-ce is worth a look - drop me a line
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3488
    @markslade07 ;Eastman PCHGA-ce is worth a look - drop me a line
    Or another Eastman PCH model eg the OM and get a K&K Pure Mini etc put it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    @markslade07 ;;Eastman PCHGA-ce is worth a look - drop me a line
    I'll have a look, though I need to be careful on your website as I keep eyeing up that Fano SP6 Std you just got in.....

Thanks for the heads up
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    @markslade07 the LPB colour is pretty special! Just shout if if you need anything
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    PRS TX20E . Project Music have them for £399. 
    I know that’s slightly over your budget but they’re great guitars.
    PRS TX20E . Project Music have them for £399. 
    I know that’s slightly over your budget but they’re great guitars.
    Hadn’t considered a PRS to be honest...will go and have a squiz!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    ICBM said:

He is very, very good - I find myself looking out for ICBM comments now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    seagull, sigma, tanglewood
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    edited June 2020
    Tanglewood can actually be very nice guitars but a) you definitely need to try before buying because QC can be variable and b) they lose a lot of money off new price if you decide to sell. That means used ones can be quite a bargain.

i sold a Tanglewood jumbo electro-acoustic last week that I wasn’t using. It was all solid woods and sounded/played really good. Originally would have cost north of £800. I let it go for £200 and after a quick play the guy was beaming from ear to ear and rushed off with it in case I changed my mind D 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I picked up one of the Faith Naked Saturn Electro on Tuesday and really like it, they're on sale at gg for £380 at the moment.
    King85 said:
    I picked up one of the Faith Naked Saturn Electro on Tuesday and really like it, they're on sale at gg for £380 at the moment.
    Ooh....I’ve already got the Faith Naked Mercury and love it....good spot...thanks!