Electro Classical.... recommend me something please

Once upon a time I was almost exclusively a classical guitarist....it was what I studied at uni (although my degree wasn't performance so I'm hardly Julian Bream!)

Fast forward to now.... I'd like a classical again, both to keep my classical standard up a bit, and also as it could be a potentially useful thing to have once we start back gigging again...my wedding band offers an acoustic trio option.

So.....a nylon string guitar with a proper classical neck, electric....ideally a cutaway too. Budget is about £500 I guess. I very rarely buy new, but open to anything really. I've looked at the Yamaha stuff....I'm thinking the NCX rather than NTX range. I'm confused by all of the model numbers of that series though! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 168
    In the Yamaha range the NCX 700 and 900 have solid tops and laminate back and sides. NCX1200 up is all solid. I have not played them, but I understand they have a reputation for being better sounding plugged in than acoustically.
    You might also consider La Patrie which seem really well made, and have a standard classical nut width. They are one of the Godin family of brands.
    Finally what about secondhand? Much more value for money here as they don’t seem to hold their value anywhere near as well as steel strung acoustics.
  • Yeah I mentioned in my OP that I rarely buy new....well up for secondhand....I know very little about what to look for though! Cheers for the info above though.... I'll have a gander at La Pattie
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Would also recommend La Patrie - and there are usually some second-hand bargains around.

I've also decided to take a chance on a new hollow-bodied electro-acoustic classical made by a Turkish luthier - with standard classical dimensions. Here's the e-bay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRO-CLASSICAL-GUITAR-BY-SANDI-DIRECT-SALE-FROM-LUTHIER/303552386812

There are links to demos and the luthier's website on the listing. They are very responsive and mine is halfway through build - they are doing a left-handed version for me. It is probably about 3-4 weeks away but they have been very good in keeping me updated.
  • Ah, there's a mega looking La Pattie deal on eBay....6.5 hour round trip from me though
    There's some La Patries on Reverb. For just over £500 there's a new Etude model with Godin Q1T electronics at Project Music in Exeter. There is also the higher spec Presentation model for about £100 more. Project Music are a good company to deal with.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Buying used, usually you will get more for your money without a cutaway, there are more good traditional classicals for sale

However, trad ones are very prone to feedback, alternative is fusion ones that sound ropey when unplugged (since normal acoustic bracing is very light)
  • GTC said:
    There's some La Patries on Reverb. For just over £500 there's a new Etude model with Godin Q1T electronics at Project Music in Exeter. There is also the higher spec Presentation model for about £100 more. Project Music are a good company to deal with.
    Exeter is another hour each way. Maybe I need to just bite the bullet, drive down south, buy a guitar, then go and serenade everyone at the beach in Bournemouth! 

On a serious note, I feel like I've used Project Music in the past for something and received great service.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The godin classical is awesome, if somewhat unconventional looking. 
    Second hand prices are very favourable. 

Failing that the yamaha NCX range mentioned above are a good shout, that's what Rodriguez and Gabriela use
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I saw this new La Patrie Arena with Godin Q1T electronics in Huntingdon on Reverb - https://reverb.com/item/16684598-la-patrie-arena-mahogany-cw-qit-natural . It is a bit above your budget but seems to meet the requirements you stated - and they are open to offers.  They haven't got a beach in Huntingon though  =)
    The godin classical is awesome, if somewhat unconventional looking. 
    Second hand prices are very favourable. 

Failing that the yamaha NCX range mentioned above are a good shout, that's what Rodriguez and Gabriela use
    The Godin classical is nice  - but not if you are looking for a normal classical neck. The acoustic sound is also poor. I've had two in the past.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    GTC said:

I've also decided to take a chance on a new hollow-bodied electro-acoustic classical made by a Turkish luthier - with standard classical dimensions. Here's the e-bay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRO-CLASSICAL-GUITAR-BY-SANDI-DIRECT-SALE-FROM-LUTHIER/303552386812

@GTC ;

Thanks for sharing that.

I'd be very interested in what you make of the guitar when it arrives.  Please post your thoughts here, and tag me in the post (otherwise I'll probably miss it!).

Thanks
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    GTC said:
    Exeter is another hour each way. Maybe I need to just bite the bullet, drive down south, buy a guitar, then go and serenade everyone at the beach in Bournemouth! 

On a serious note, I feel like I've used Project Music in the past for something and received great service.
    I bought my Brook at Project Music. Very happy with the way they help the customer make a decision and no pressure selling. 
    edited June 2020
    TTony said:
    GTC said:

@GTC ;;

Thanks for sharing that.

I'd be very interested in what you make of the guitar when it arrives.  Please post your thoughts here, and tag me in the post (otherwise I'll probably miss it!).

Thanks
    The luthiers have been incredibly helpful and responsive. They are making a special left-handed version for me ($50 USD extra). They have kept me posted with build photos along the way. I got a bit concerned when I noticed that, like many traditional Spanish guitars, the neck didn't have a truss rod or other form of reinforcement. I like extra high tension strings on thin-bodied classicals. 

I mentioned this to them this morning when they confirmed it hadn't any additional form of neck reinforcement. They said they it should be OK but they were happy to put one in. I asked how much - and they said nothing - it was their gift!
    TTony said:
    GTC said:

@GTC ;;

Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks
    The guitar arrived last week. Overall - very impressed. A very responsive instrument with excellent acoustic tone and volume  for a thin body. Very light in weight - probably mainly due to the use of Ayous for the back and sides. Very nice to play out of the case but could be improved with some simple set-up work. 

The only real downside were some minor imperfections in the finishing (such as light surface scratches) in the back and sides which should easily rub out and do not impact in any way on the guitar's overall appearance or performance.

A few points to note (1) side fretboard markers were not included. They said they don't usually put these in on their guitars but would consider doing so in the future (2) the back, sides and neck are painted (mine in a very dark maroon colour - they also do black) (3) I had to pay a £28 customs charge on top of the sale price.

I'll try and do an NGD when I get a moment and I'll include a few photos. The helpfulness and responsiveness of the Turkish luthiers was excellent.

• m0rtm0rt Frets: 21
    Just a note for the OP, albeit a little late.  Cordoba do a GK Studio which seems to get used as a gigging guitar since it is cheaper than than the GK Pro by a large margin. I have never played the Studio but I have the Pro which is a real pleasure to play and it sounds fantastic.