Bowie at Glastonbury On BBC

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
These re-runs are fantastic. That bloke and his band were just on fire. And Earl Slick showing you can make a Peavey Tele through and Ampeg sound fantastic. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I was there, not that I can remember a great deal! will give this a watch
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
    edited June 2020
    dindude said:
    I was there, not that I can remember a great deal! will give this a watch
    Same here. There but remember f all. I learnt tonight that I saw NIN there but it’s news to me I remember nothing!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    You lucky bastards!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I saw the last twenty minutes. It was brilliant!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2282
    I watched it too. Seen it before.  What a band utterly top notch everything and a great mix too. Bowie barely missed a note all night. And Gail Anne Dorsey’s beautiful soulful vocals on Under Pressure were brilliant let alone her faultless bass playing.  What a star she is. 
    I saw Earl Slick a few months ago in a tiny venue in a London playing guitar for Glenn Matlock. Simple upfront raw rock n roll. He was pure star class. Firebird with P90s into a cranked Supro combo. I was about 6 feet away. What a blast that was.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    The star of the show for me was Sterling Campbell. Bloke is a machine.

Useless trivia- that was the first Bowie show for 10 yrs without Gabrels on guitar- he was bitten in the woods by his home by a tick and cried off - turned out he'd got Lymes Disease. Slick answered an SOS from DB and then never really left until he died.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Must take a look at that ...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    If you enjoyed that check out The Reality Tour DVD from 2003
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    edited June 2020
    rze99 said:
    I saw Earl Slick a few months ago in a tiny venue in a London playing guitar for Glenn Matlock. Simple upfront raw rock n roll. He was pure star class. Firebird with P90s into a cranked Supro combo. I was about 6 feet away. What a blast that was.
    By strange coincidence I'm currently listening to David Coverdale's Into The Light solo album for the first time in years, featuring one Earl Slick on guitar, terrific playing and demonstrates what a versatile player he is.

I caught a bit of the Bowie performance last night, and enjoyed watching that sideman documentary Slick presented a couple of years back too.
    Earl Slick @229 Club London 10th Aug 2019 phone pics

IMG_00204070jpg
    IMG_00214092jpg
    IMG_00234082jpg
    IMG_00184068jpg

IMG_00244084jpg

IMG_00224088jpg
    chatting after the show
    IMG_00294078jpg

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6902
    rze99 said:
    I watched it too. Seen it before.  What a band utterly top notch everything and a great mix too. Bowie barely missed a note all night. And Gail Anne Dorsey’s beautiful soulful vocals on Under Pressure were brilliant let alone her faultless bass playing.  What a star she is. 
    Last night was the first time it’s been broadcast in its entirety. Previously it was a cut down 1 hour show that had been on the bbc.

This is an interesting read on the background...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/25/david-bowie-lost-glastonbury-headline-set-bbc

Previously known as stevebrum
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I was there, a long way back... the crowd was huge, one of the biggest I'd ever seen (my first year was 1985]... Bowie was fab. 

I wonder why GAD backed out of the slap part on Ashes and swapped to guitar... did she always do that? 

2000 was a brilliant festival if extremely mad. Friday night I saw Elliott Smith with full band in front of about 120 people in the BBC tent, possibly my all time fave Glastonbury moment. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    KKJale said:
    I was there, a long way back... the crowd was huge, one of the biggest I'd ever seen (my first year was 1985]... Bowie was fab. 

I wonder why GAD backed out of the slap part on Ashes and swapped to guitar... did she always do that? 

Yes they always did that, but no idea why 

https://youtu.be/WmiXjoknHDA
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Still amazed by how cohesively brilliant the whole band were. Every member was just killing it. But the songs - oh, the songs. Wonderful musical structures ( the Bm to A7+ in Absolute Beginners is possibly the most satisfying chord progression ever) and lyrics you can get lost in. 
    I hate that I only really go it into DB’s stuff when he died. I’d always liked it, but never properly listened.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    KKJale said:

Yes they always did that, but no idea why 

https://youtu.be/WmiXjoknHDA
    Mark Plati plays bass, IIRC, for Bowie in the studio but guitar on stage. Perhaps they swapped because they’re clever bastards and they could 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Mark Plati plays bass, IIRC, for Bowie in the studio but guitar on stage. Perhaps they swapped because they’re clever bastards and they could 
    You're right: from markplati.com...

"Gail and I first decided to swap in Milan while we were doing one of those TV shows where you only get to play one song. We were playing 'Thursday's Child' for the umpteenth time, so we decided to make it interesting and switch off. We decided that we'd do it in concert after that, and we chose 'Ashes' as it has both a great guitar and bass part, and the band were then in the process of learning it. We later swapped on 'Seven', and also on 'London Boys' when Gail plays clarinet."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    KKJale said:
    You're right: from markplati.com...

"Gail and I first decided to swap in Milan while we were doing one of those TV shows where you only get to play one song. We were playing 'Thursday's Child' for the umpteenth time, so we decided to make it interesting and switch off. We decided that we'd do it in concert after that, and we chose 'Ashes' as it has both a great guitar and bass part, and the band were then in the process of learning it. We later swapped on 'Seven', and also on 'London Boys' when Gail plays clarinet."
    Ha! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Bowie was just uncontrollably cool - he couldn't help it. You could've walked into a bathroom where he was taking a dump with his trousers round his ankles and you would have thought to yourself "this guy is cool". Also, he was like Zappa in that he knew who would be good musicians to play with him on stage and when they were up there playing he really enjoyed seeing them doing what they did best. And in turn those musicians knew that and enjoyed playing with him and therefore gave their best. Put all that together and you get killer live performances. One of the stupidest things I ever did in my life was not go with my friend to see Bowie in Preston on the Ziggy Stardust tour.  :s
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    David Bowie was 53 at the Glastonbury 2000 show, same age as I am now. He looks agile, sexy and cool.

I don't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom