SORTED - Which matched pair of condenser microphones for recording acoustic guitar?

CastroCastro Frets: 514
edited July 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hello guitar worshippers

I am in the market for a matched pair of condenser microphones to record my own acoustic guitar based songs.

I have been reading about AKG C414s, Shure SM81s, Neumann KM184s and several others. 

Do I choose small or large diaphragm? Or do I perhaps get a pair of Neumann TLM 102s?

I would appreciate any pointers, experiences and recommendations for a budget up to £1,200 and a need for top-end sparkle.

Thank you people.

Update - I am going to try a mixture of small and large diaphragm condensers. An Aston Spirit plus an SE RN17
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2430
    A pair of Austrian Audio OC18s would just about be within your budget. Those are nice if you want to go the large-diaphragm route. TLM102s are quite nice.

There are tons of decent small-diaphragm models in that price range. Are you after something with a bit of added sparkle and zing in the top end, or something a bit warmer-sounding?

I'd probably go for the Shure KSM141 ahead of the SM81. And unless resale value is a factor I'd probably go for MBHO or maybe Gefell ahead of the KM184s.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496
    I generally used a small one near the 12th fret and a larger one for the body sound. Normally an SM81 and an SE 

I'm not sure 2 identical ones would be a good thing but I'm no expert on recording acoustics 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    It really depends on your taste, and the context the guitar'll be in. Honestly, I usually prefer monoon acoustic - even with more than one mic.

I've got a limited mic collection, when I had a few to chose from I remember liking the Oktava-012 a lot on acoustic. These days I use a at4050 most often because... that's the only condenser I have. And it's fine. A bit less detailed, but good. In denser rock mixes, the SM7b works well. Denser still, and an SM57 can be just the ticket.

If I could magically have any mic to record acoustic, I'd get a KM84.

Truthfully, there are so many decent mics, it's a matter of taste, and the bigger factors are the playing, the source, the room, the song and the mic placement.
  • CastroCastro Frets: 514
    Thank you @Cirrus I really appreciate your time.
    edited July 2020
    @Stuckfast I do lean towards brightness and sparkle. Your rcommendations are added to my long-list. Thank you for your input.
    edited July 2020
    Cheers @Danny1969 I have the Shure SM81 on my list so knowing that others like it is helpful.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7847
    edited June 2020
    Neumanns are a bit pricey. The Shures sm81's are well regarded and on a budget I've read good things about these: http://www.lineaudio.se/CM4.html

Thanks @Winny_Pooh, I wasn't aware of Line Audio so that's tonight's research.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4209
    Stereo matched pair of Rode M5’s excellent vfmand performance 
    @sweepy thanks for your input. They're on my list now.
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    I have two line audio CM4 and they are excellent. Not hyped at high frequencies for obvious immediate ‘sparkle’, but takes eq well so that can be dialled in at your preference. 
    They’re also small, so easy to place and don’t get in the way
    Thank you @Siejen, I was reading about them last night and they seem excellent for the money.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    Josephson C42's are my go-to SDC's.

KM84's are excellent if you can find some for non-stupid money but I'd be careful with KM184's- they have too much treble for many situations.
    Gefell M300's would be a good shout- a bit out of budget but you might be able to find a deal.

Also have a look at some ribbon microphones.
    My currently favoured AEA R84a's are out of budget but Beyer do some affordable ribbons, as do Royer.

What preamps are you using?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4854
    sweepy said:
    Stereo matched pair of Rode M5’s excellent vfmand performance 
    I've got a pair of these, too, and I'm happy with them for what I'm doing. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2430
    A lot of people like the old AKG C451 / CK1 combination on acoustics. There's millions of them around second-hand and they might be perfect if you want a bright sound (they tend to be too bright for my tastes). Don't pay silly money though, you can get them for £100 or so if you wait.

The Calrec 1050 and 2050 are nice mics too and much more natural-sounding. They are still made under the name Hebden Sound. Not what I'd call bright or zingy though.

The other thing you might find if you're lucky is a Neumann KM85. That's the version of the KM84 with a built-in low-frequency cut. Because this can't be switched off or bypassed (it's built into the capsule) they're not considered as valuable or as useful as the 84 and tend to go for less, but if you're close miking an acoustic guitar you'll want to cut those low frequencies anyway.
    @Stuckfast your input is much appreciated. 
    Thank you @TheBigDipper ;
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I've got a pair of rode m5's which are excellent.
    @Rich210 thank you.
    Update - I am going to try a mixture of small and large diaphragm condensers. An Aston Spirit plus an SE RN17