Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your most disappointing pedal experience versus your most pleasing pedal experience

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited June 2020
    Most disappointing EQD Erupter, ZVex Fuzzolo, Marshall GV2....

Most pleasing Hudson Sidecar, I now have two my board...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Disappointing, D & M Drive. It was utterly average and uninspiring. 

Pleasing, RevivalTrem. Gorgeous drive, stunning trem.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1024
    Disappointing. Pelican Noiseworks Pelitaur.. just pure shite. 

Pleasing. Hudson Broadcast 24v. EQD Palisades. Mr Black Supermoon. 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Disappointing - TC Electronic Dark Matter; I was using a Blackstar HT-5 at the time and the pedal was voiced exactly the same as the overdrive channel on the amp. I could swap between the clean channel with the pedal, and the overdrive channel and there was literally no difference.

Pleasing - Mosky Silver/Golden Horses; I was foolish and blew my Golden Horse with 18V so I bit the bullet and shelled out another £20 for the Silver Horse. I've used them for many applications, always on for a little warmth, clean boost and a volume/gain bump for solos etc. Superb little pedals.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    Disappointing - Hotone Fury Fuzz sounded lifeless. Line 6 DL4 for its reliability issues.

Pleasing - EQD Erupter has so many good sounds in it and ended my fuzz search. Line 6 DL4 for its sounds, was an integral part of my playing for a few years.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    Disappointing - Easy this one, TS-808. Dont get it. I obviously dont play the way you need to to make this sound anything other than dull, and neither one thing nor the other. Muddy and mushy you say? - NAILED IT. 

Pleasing - far trickier, as there are so many I've truly loved, so I'll just go for the most recent one rather than the all time greats. Mr. Black Bloodmoon - i've had a Supermoon before and never hesitate to recommend them, so I finally bought another, opting for the slightly re-voiced Bloodmoon. WOW. It's absolutely spectacular and manages to make even the most mundane sound galactic. Utterly beautiful; I think Mr. Black pedals are probably the most underrated of the boutique gentry - I can think of a number of his pedals that sit at the very top end of my favourite pedals of all time. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Most disappointing - about the half dozen Big Muffs I've had over the years. Just can't get them to work for me. Give me a fuzz face or tonebender every time.

Most pleasing - Pork Loin. Works with everything.
    AMT F1 preamp. Fantastic, versatile, clean Fender in a box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Most disappointing - Boss SD. Just couldn't get it to work for me. Boss distortion pedal. Couldn't get this to work. TC Hall of Fame 1 and 2. Had one, sold it, revisited, sold it. In theory, should have covered all the bases, but something I couldn't quite take to with it. I wouldn't *not* use it again though...

Most pleasing - Boss Blues Driver, Subdecay Spring Theory, EHX Octavia (even though I read some bad comments about it on here! It's perfect for me)

I've been through several reverbs and delays and am currently using Boss delays and reverbs, which I thought would be disappointing based on what you'd read online.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    Marshall shredmaster. I wanted to find it good and special but couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. 

The Jackhammer did everything I hoped the Shredmaster to do right away,  for 20 quid.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    Disappointing - every boutique overdrive pedal I've ever tried. They all just sound bland and boring - apart from all Klon types, which have a characteristic nasty metallic tone. I clearly don't get whatever it is that so many people rave about with any of them...

Pleasing - Boss 40th Anniversary DS-1, the black one. It actually sounds better than the original MIJ one I had, and even better than my DF-2, which was my 'perfect' drive pedal for about twenty years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Most disappointing -
    Maxon OD9 - I don't get it, it's just shades of vanilla.
    Boss MO-2 - Literally hated every sound I could find.

Most pleasing - 
    Digitech Freqout - changes the way I play. 
    Boss Tera Echo - like a dolphin call in space. 
    OCD - addictive with any guitar, any chord, any note. 

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    Most disappointing - Timmy, not particularly impressed by the sound and the tone knobs worked the wrong way round!

Most pleasing - Kingsley Page.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3013
    Most pleasing: Zoom Ultrafuzz

I found a NOS one in a small music shop in Bulgaria. I tried it and couldn’t get anything out of it other than gated self oscillating madness. I was going to give it a swerve and for some reason Mrs Fred said I should just get it. Anyway, once I got home I found it was a great sounding and extremely versatile fuzz. It’s been a mainstay on my board ever since. Thx Mrs Fred!

Most disappointing EHX USA Big Muff
    Guitar Village were having their Boss Gone Mad Sale and were selling big muffs cheap. The Black Russian Muff was £29, the USA was £49. I thought I was smart by getting the USA one but it was very gritty and totally disappeared in the mix.  I think I would have been better with the smoother Russian one.

initially underwhelmed but then very happy:

Paul Cochrane Tim
    ThorpyFX Veteran Si
    Boss dm2w

I thought these were just a bit average when I first got them and played them at home, despite the hype and love for them. Only when I got to play them loud in a live situation did I understand what all the fuss was about. Utterly superb at band volume levels.

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    One that is both disappointing and pleasing: I just picked up a clone of the Hudson Broadcast AP. I suspect it's not an absolute part-for-part identical pedal, although it certainly sounds near identical on many settings.

There's a nasty metallic clang and sag when you really dig in hard, and something cocked-wah-ish I don't especially like about the upper mids and top end when the gain is high. I hear the same thing on the genuine thing on videos, so I think it's the circuit design rather than the build.

But .. if you get the knobs just right, it's a near perfect simulation of a tube amp on the edge of melt-down with the guitar volume rolled back. I can go from sparkly clean to fuzz with just right hand attack. I can't decide if it's the best thing ever, or a heroic failure.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Pleasing - Revival Drive Compact. Pretty much every setting sounds genuinely amazing. Likewise the Strymon Deco. 

Disappointing - Strymon Timeline. It just sounded like mush to my ears and I didn't like the UI. Also OCD. I've had a clone and a real one (v2) and don't get the hype. I'd much rather have a KOT or TS or JanRay

Both at once - Jan Ray. I frickin railed against this thing from all the marketing bullshit. But it sounds absolutely amazing. I wanted to hate it but I just can't.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Most disappointing:
    MI Audio Neo Fuzz - first pedal I bought. Plugged it in, really didn't like it, and disappointed that I sounded nothing like PGS Andy's demo.

Most pleasing:
    MI Audio Neo Fuzz - stayed in its box for years, revisited and now that I know how to use it, its my "if I could only have one' pedal.  Addicted to how it works with guitar vol, and how it retains treble  at low gain. Tho I still sound nothing like PGS Andy, obviously.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Most disappointing KOT - purely down to the price; and the fact that I could match the sound with a Mooer Blues Crab.

Most Pleasing: Probably the Stone Deaf PDF 1X or the MXR Micro Amp, that thing just makes everything sound better.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited June 2020
    Bad...
    MXR Badass '76 - Had a very distinctive sound that made everything sound like Thin Lizzy.

Marshall BB2 - Pretty much impossible to get a decent drive sound out of it.

Good...
    Boss BD-2 - Nice light overdrive, not too middy. Very usable.

Boss SD-1 - Warmer, and rather more middy than the BD-2. Between them the SD-1 and BD-2 give a decent range of overdrive sounds.

MXR Phase 90 - Just adds that little something on certain songs.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Sassafras said:
    Most disappointing - about the half dozen Big Muffs I've had over the years. Just can't get them to work for me. Give me a fuzz face or tonebender every time.

I'm kind of with you with the Muff's, I have a similar thing with them myself. I occasionally take mine out for a few riffs and struggle to get a sound sound out of it then put it back in the box and away again.

I bought a Mosky Reverb pedal for not very much, less than £20. It's not spectacular by any stretch of the imagination but it's definitely useful.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:

I'm kind of with you with the Muff's, I have a similar thing with them myself. I occasionally take mine out for a few riffs and struggle to get a sound sound out of it then put it back in the box and away again.

I bought a Mosky Reverb pedal for not very much, less than £20. It's not spectacular by any stretch of the imagination but it's definitely useful.

You can try stacking them with a mid boosted overdrive like a TS or Klone