Voting for Softsynth Challenge #1

Welcome to the voting thread for the Softsynth Challenge #1!

Voting will end at midnight 8th July 2020

The aim here was to create a track centred around one softsynth. 

Feel free to have a listen and vote/comment on your top 3 entries (entrants can’t vote for themselves)

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

The top three will be announced after the voting closes.

You can listen to all the entries below....

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/synth-challenge-1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    So, just to list the synths, I think it's

@stratman3142 : All Native Instruments Massive X
    @Springywheel : Mainly Arturia CMI V
    @Snap : Mainly Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2

@Fretwired, was your synth Synthstrom based on the title of your track? 

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    So, just to list the synths, I think it's

@stratman3142 : All Native Instruments Massive X
    @Springywheel : Mainly Arturia CMI V
    @Snap : Mainly Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2

@Fretwired, was your synth Synthstrom based on the title of your track? 

No. Strom is German for electricity .. kraftwerk is a powerplant ... :-)

I used Omnisphere .. even the drum samples and funny noises were from the synth ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited July 2020
    5 points - @Snap nicely done in building up tension from the start in this carpentereqsque track (is that a vocal that comes in at 1:33? I love it...has a nice eastern vibe to it) 
    3 Points - @stratman3142 ;;;; really good structure and nice use of stereo field...wish it was longer
    1 Point - @fretmeister Catchy melodies by Last Minute Fret with this kraftwerk inspired track. 

enjoyed listening to these a lot ... thanks to stratman Pete for allowing me to host this thread.
    edited July 2020
    ...enjoyed listening to these a lot ... thanks to stratman Pete for allowing me to host this thread.
    Thanks for the thanks but I'm not part of the management. The thanks should really go to @digitalscream and the mods for providing a platform, running the site and letting us get on with these various challenges.

It's not a competition.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24204
    5 points - @Snap nicely done in building up tension from the start in this carpentereqsque track (is that a vocal that comes in at 1:33? I love it...has a nice eastern vibe to it) 
    3 Points - @stratman3142 ;;;; really good structure and nice use of stereo field...wish it was longer
    1 Point - @fretmeister Catchy melodies by Last Minute Fret with this kraftwerk inspired track. 

enjoyed listening to these a lot ... thanks to stratman Pete for allowing me to host this thread.
    Not me!

Not me!

I think it should be @Fretwired ;

It's not a competition.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    (is that a vocal that comes in at 1:33? I love it...has a nice eastern vibe to it) 

Thanks - no, it's the synth. I also love this patch, quite similar to sounds you'll hear used by a band called How To Destroy Angels. Quite an emotive atmospheric pad. 

Voting - they are all good, and there's only 3 to choose from! My winner would be the first track, by stratman. I really like some of the pads, I love the nods to Kraftwerk, and every track was done in one synth. 

I really struggle to pick between the other two. Evens for me! Yes, I know that's a bit of a cop out.....
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    Really liked all of these - some great soundscapes - difficult to choose between as well
    Stratman 5 - Shades of Thomas dolby
    Snap 3 - I'm a sucker for a massive synth pad
    Springwheel 1 - Nice and Quirky

look forward to the next one - i may even enter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Tough but my vote goes like this ..

5 points @Springywheel - lovely Tangerine Dream style soundscape - loved the way it evolved.

3 points @Snap - lovely soundscape - loved the way it slowly built up to the climax

1 point @stratman3142 - another great track - it reminded me of the 80s synthpop - you could dance to it.

In reality there wasn't a Rizla paper between them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    An excellent range of entries. Do I go for mainly sounds, atmosphere, catchiness..., as each would give a different result?

5 points : @Snap : Absolutely superb track. Epic build up. Fantastic range of quality sounds. Some real goose bump moments and an emotional impact. Brings to mind Mogwai. If there's ever another return of Les Revenants (excuse the pun) they should commission you for the sound track. As you might gather, I really, really like this one.

3 points : @Fretwired : Great, clean sounds and the most commercial and pop of the entries, which gave it the edge.

1 point : @Springywheel : Lovely pad sounds. Nice panning and reverse effects. There's a Pink Floyd character to it. Big expansive sound.

Now when can I afford Omnisphere 2 and possibly a new hard drive?

It's not a competition.
    aw, thanks mate. 
    Omnisphere 2 really is an amzing synth. It covers every base, it really does. Interface is v user friendly too. I think if I had to have only one synth, this would be it. It does everything very well, and I've not even started faffing with the audio import stuff.
    Votes   
    stratman3142 5 points
    Fretwired 3 pts
    Springywheel 1 pt

I'd give both 3 if I could

enjoyed this, cheers
    edited July 2020
    3 Points - @stratman3142 ;;;;; really good structure and nice use of stereo field...wish it was longer

Not me!

Whoops! Well, now you're here...
    Bumpage before voting ends tomorrow night