Today's little ditty

This came from reacquainting myself with an old lost friend, my legacy special. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577

Not sure if the other link works, would be great to hear some constructive feedback. I'd really like some hints on that sort of theory techniques to practice more of! 

Cheers!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    It comes up as "You have not provided a valid SoundCloud URL..." on my PC.

It's not a competition.
    Thanks for letting me know that I'll try again
    @stratman3142 ;

https://soundcloud.com/broadestdub/country-ditty

See if that one works. For some reason I couldn't do it on my phone!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited July 2020
    It sounds good for the style I assume you're going for. Nice tone and natural feel. Everything hangs together well.

I'd leave it at that but, as you asked for feedback, I can only find a couple of things - and I'm being super super picky here and going out of my way to look for things. Others will probably disagree so don't just take what I say.

There's a slight tuning issue, which is probably noticeable because there are two guitars which are so exposed. I think it's mainly the G string, but someone with better ears than me could pin it down more accurately. With other instruments that might get lost in the track.

Just personal taste but the bend at 8s sounded slightly strange on the first listen. I think it's a case of just taking a little while longer than I would expect to get there. I mainly noticed that on the first listen, because on subsequent listens it started to sound more OK (as I got used to it). But that's just me. I'm sure others would disagree.

Overall I like it.
    It's not a competition.
    @stratman ;

Thanks for the comments! I've not had lessons for years and kind of just cobble stuff together and learn my way around the fretboard through trial and error. I'll spend a bit of time on practicing those bends to make them a tighter! At times I can end up just going over the same thing again and again but yesterday I came up with something new to work with.

In honesty I was sure what I was going for! I just let things happen. The chords emerged first and having a twangy country feel just sat right, the legacy special just seemed to twang really well with my amps so why fight it - I'm not massively into country at all! Likewise with the lead, I was just thinking 'if the guitar could sing' rather than purposefully being rigid with a composition, but maybe finding something in the moment that works captures the essence - that was my second go at doing some lead so I wanted to get some feedback on it. 

I think the guitar needs to be set up properly to be honest. The tuning issue you heard is probably true as over the years I've probably done something to it and messed the intonation - you tube here I come.