Brook Cary on the way

What's Hot
GTCGTC Frets: 261
edited July 2020 in Acoustics
I've recently heard from Brook Guitars that, after six months, my new Cary classical is approaching completion. I've gone for a plainer approach than the lovely custom Taw I bought last year - with Spruce top, Macassar ebony back and sides and a nice simple solid koa soundhole rosette.

A couple of the latest photos are shown below. The only snag is I've promised Mrs. GTC that I'd finish decorating the main bedroom and bathroom before I go and pick it up!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    Well stop wasting time on here and get the brushes out! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    drofluf said:
    What  - and ruin a perfectly good excuse for procrastination  :#  (the painting bit is fine - but the preparation ..........)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    drofluf said:
    Is that a euphemism?
    Actually, I made the promise about the decorating to Mrs. GTC to deflect the inevitable "Do you really need another guitar?" discussion. I've still got a couple of weeks to go until the Cary is ready. Plenty of time  :s

Final word from another great procrastinator and part-time left-handed guitarist, the late Douglas Adams "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    GTC said:
    Actually, I made the promise about the decorating to Mrs. GTC to deflect the inevitable "Do you really need another guitar?" discussion. I've still got a couple of weeks to go until the Cary is ready. Plenty of time  :s

When I'm in the mood, I come up with the "do we really need: 2 cars, another holiday, new kitchen, more shoes,  etc"
    Usually, we don't "really" need anything, we're just getting extra stuff to make our lives nicer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    what bracing pattern has it got? and is it lightly braced?
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Nice. I’m possibly going for a custom build order soon. It’s a Brook or PJE electric. Thought call.
    The Cary is Brook's classical model -  built with classical bracing, lighter than their steel strung guitars. They will also do nylon strung versions of their main steel strung models and they sound very good too. I've tried a right-handed Tamar and Lynn. For some reason, the Cary isn't on their website - but, then again, not all their models are.

I've go them to do something similar to a La Patrie for the neck - slimline for a classical (but not excessively so), 50.8mm nut, slight 600mm fretboard radius. The La Patrie has the most comfortable classical neck I've come across., 
    GTC said:
    The Cary is Brook's classical model -  built with classical bracing, lighter than their steel strung guitars. They will also do nylon strung versions of their main steel strung models and they sound very good too. I've tried a right-handed Tamar and Lynn. For some reason, the Cary isn't on their website - but, then again, not all their models are.

I've go them to do something similar to a La Patrie for the neck - slimline for a classical (but not excessively so), 50.8mm nut, slight 600mm fretboard radius. The La Patrie has the most comfortable classical neck I've come across., 
    I meant is it fan braced (as opposed to lattice-braced), and is it built for stage use or acoustic playing?
    I meant is it fan braced (as opposed to lattice-braced), and is it built for stage use or acoustic playing?
    First bit - no idea. I'll find out soon enough. It is built for acoustic playing like any other traditional classical guitar..
    GTC said:
    First bit - no idea. I'll find out soon enough. It is built for acoustic playing like any other traditional classical guitar..
    I dropped an e-mail to Simon at Brook - he confirmed it is fan braced
    GTC said:
    GTC said:
    I dropped an e-mail to Simon at Brook - he confirmed it is fan braced
    Splendid, that gives you the chance to GAS over getting another one with lattice bracing, which is all the rage now

;-)
    Splendid, that gives you the chance to GAS over getting another one with lattice bracing, which is all the rage now

;-)
    Interesting - I came across several videos and this I thought was the best comparing the two systems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNniH1g8jo . There is certainly a difference and I am sure Mrs GTC will fully understand that I must have one of these too  :s
    GTC said:

;-)
    Interesting - I came across several videos and this I thought was the best comparing the two systems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNniH1g8jo . There is certainly a difference and I am sure Mrs GTC will fully understand that I must have one of these too  :s
    glad to be of service ;-)

I have 2 Lattice ones, a Stephen Hill 1A and a Chinese Yulong Guo (nomex double top)

John Williams plays lattice - Smallman guitars from Australia, too pricey for me
    https://classicalguitarmagazine.com/read-about-australian-luthier-greg-smallman-and-his-innovative-design-ideas/

Stephen is based on the south coast of Spain, and does courses twice a year, you can spend 3-4 weeks there building a 2A under supervision!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Looking rather classy so far!

I should be picking up my 12-string Blackwater soon (the one with the inlay on their latest newsletter) :)

Enjoy,

Adam

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491

I have 2 Lattice ones, a Stephen Hill 1A and a Chinese Yulong Guo (nomex double top)

John Williams plays lattice - Smallman guitars from Australia, too pricey for me
    https://classicalguitarmagazine.com/read-about-australian-luthier-greg-smallman-and-his-innovative-design-ideas/

Stephen is based on the south coast of Spain, and does courses twice a year, you can spend 3-4 weeks there building a 2A under supervision!
    Good to see Stephen Hill's name get a mention here, he doesn't really get much as much attention as he deserves but he's one of the finest 'Granada' style guitar makers around, quite a few of his ex students have gone onto be great guitar makers in their own right, now and again one of the students from his course becomes his assistant eg Graham Emes who's guitars I like a lot.

Smallman guitars are a weird bunch, liked by some and loathed by others not much for a mid range. Not all lattice braced guitars are like Smallmans though, aside from the lattice bracing they are characterised by having really heavy bodies and very, thin light tops.

The world of nylon string guitars has quite a bit of variation, aside from fan vs lattice, there's also flamenco vs classical, crossovers as well like the ones Lowden make.

edited July 2020

Good to see Stephen Hill's name get a mention here, he doesn't really get much as much attention as he deserves but he's one of the finest 'Granada' style guitar makers around, quite a few of his ex students have gone onto be great guitar makers in their own right, now and again one of the students from his course becomes his assistant eg Graham Emes who's guitars I like a lot.

Smallman guitars are a weird bunch, liked by some and loathed by others not much for a mid range. Not all lattice braced guitars are like Smallmans though, aside from the lattice bracing they are characterised by having really heavy bodies and very, thin light tops.

The world of nylon string guitars has quite a bit of variation, aside from fan vs lattice, there's also flamenco vs classical, crossovers as well like the ones Lowden make.

I was very lucky with my Stephen Hill 1A
    I bought it with it needing a full refinish, with the price for that already agreed with Stephen (i.e. I sent it back to him for the refinishing)
    When he played it he said it was much more responsive than usual, so I seem to have a 1A++ 
    Possibly the thrashing it got when losing its French polish helped to open it up, or Stephen hit the jackpot with that one