SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Windows or Apple laptop for recording (cheap!)

Hi all

This is a speculative post to see if anyone has anything knocking around unused that I might be able to get going on recording my own music without blowing my very small budget.

Essentially I am looking to spend £200 on a second hand laptop that will run a decent recording programme (Logic, Reaper, GarageBand) and have some life left in it. I know at this price it won't be cutting edge, but hopefully there's a few out there that will work a few years longer.

I've looked locally on Gumtree and seen a few Macbook Pros aroud this price, but I suspect that they will have been used for things other than music. As my knowedge of specs is not great I thought I would ask on here rather than a local seller who knows less than me about what I need.

I don't have an audio interface, but know I need to get one. I will sort that at a later date. I have headphones, mic etc.

To put you in the picture about my expectations I am currently getting ideas down on a Tasca Porta 02 and, more recently, i-track on my phone. I've sort of outgrown those - i-track is very fiddly indeed on the phone but I have managed to do some useful work on it. Years ago I used to put together jingles etc on CoolEdit so I am not completely useless, but I will rely on having something that doesn't require too much IT knowledge.

So, if anyone has anything that might work out drop me a line.

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't have a laptop, but I do have a desktop if thats of any interest; https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/178345/fs-i5-8gb-pc-includes-27-hp-monitor-450-wtb-macbook-pro-13-curved-widescreen-monitor-29#latest

I could do the tower alone for £200+ courier. PM me if interested :)

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    Still open to ideas and offers.

(I have replied to the offer above via PM)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399

Have you though about a 2nd hand iMac ? you can pick up older iMacs for around  £120 to £140 that will more than enough for most peoples needs. My main music recording setup is a £80 iMac and a £40 Mbox Pro running Protools. No problem at all recording 30 tracks of music and running 4  or more VI's  ... lovely machine to edit music on, especially the 24" models 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    The only problem there is space. I do t have much of it!
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 613
    I have a couple of laptops not being used. Will have a look Monday think they are hp i3 4gb ram but will check em out. Know they work fine. Does yr music software list an ideal spec to run it 
    I dont have any software yet. I will have to see what I can get my hands on machine wise. I believe, and others will be more knowledgeable than me here, that 4GB is the minimum needed.

On my phone I am running n-track. There is a desktop version but that might not be too amazing so I will be on the lookout for something.