Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Sitting in Leonard’s chair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited July 2020
    JezWynd said:
    It’s drivel, really isn’t it? Much as I like Gilmour as a player, this is the kind of thing which he should do with his family for their own amusement but not inflict on his audience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Cringeworthy. Dave's holiday video, set to dodgy duet with his daughter. There are exceptions,  but it seems that most artists are not able to write good music at this sort of age, and a bit like boxers, not knowing when to quit seems to be a very common weakness. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    JezWynd said:
    It’s drivel, really isn’t it? Much as I like Gilmour as a player, this is the kind of thing which he should do with his family for their own amusement but not inflict on his audience.

Have a wis .. sadly you are spot on.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Does he write his own lyrics since he split with Waters? On this they sound substandard- usual struggle of someone willing to sacrifice the sense just to fit a rhyme in. 

The whole thing looks and sounds like one of those adverts on daytime TV. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Redlester said:
    Does he write his own lyrics since he split with Waters? On this they sound substandard- usual struggle of someone willing to sacrifice the sense just to fit a rhyme in. 

The whole thing looks and sounds like one of those adverts on daytime TV. 

I think his wife Polly writes his lyrics. She's an author and wordsmith.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I believe she wrote the words for the post-Waters material for Pink Floyd. Not certain about the other stuff.
    I believe she wrote the words for the post-Waters material for Pink Floyd. Not certain about the other stuff.

Didn't know she wrote Floyd stuff .. I know she wrote most of the lyrics for On an island.

• Polly co-wrote most of the lyrics on "The Division Bell", as well as David's last 2 solo records. This track doesn't really hold up to Gilmour's exceptional standards but I believe it was only written as a supplement to the audiobook recording of Samson's new book " A Theatre For Dreamers" which features Leonard Cohen as a character. It's not a bad effort for a 74 year old though!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    He seems to be going the same way as Mark Knopfler - forget that you pay amazing guitar solos and turf out boring short songs instead.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    axisus said:
    He seems to be going the same way as Mark Knopfler - forget that you pay amazing guitar solos and turf out boring short songs instead.

You have never been to a DG concert I guess. Guitar solos make up for about half of the evening I guess (and that includes his newer material)  B) Personally I can do with less soloing, but that's just me.

Knopfler has always been much more song based, I think it's more the laid back nature of his solo material that has been putting off people who like the (early) Dire Straits.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Polly co-wrote most of the lyrics on "The Division Bell", as well as David's last 2 solo records. This track doesn't really hold up to Gilmour's exceptional standards but I believe it was only written as a supplement to the audiobook recording of Samson's new book " A Theatre For Dreamers" which features Leonard Cohen as a character. It's not a bad effort for a 74 year old though!
    Sounds like a Leonard Cohen pastiche to me, possibly deliberate