Stiff little fingers

What's Hot

For the past couple of months, when I wake in the mornings the third and especially the fourth fingers of my fretting hand feel very stiff and a little painful. The pain is in the knuckle, and when I flex them it feels more like flicking a sprung switch back and forth than a fluid movement. They ‘crack’ a bit, too.

Once I’ve had a shower the pain eases almost entirely to a very mild discomfort on flexing, and the flexing itself returns to normal. I hardly notice it during the day and I don’t feel any pain when playing. I don’t suffer from joint problems anywhere else apart from the usual aches and pains of age, there is no sign of swelling in the knuckles and so far as I know I don’t have arthritis or rheumatism.

Not much of a problem, then, but I’m concerned it might progress to something that could stop me playing altogether. Does anyone have experience of this and/or a remedy?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    I got so excited seeing “Stiff Little Fingers” in the acoustics section! 

Hope you get it sorted
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 358
    I've had crappy fingers and wrists like this for years, there's a bunch of warm-up exercises you can do to minimise the discomfort
    Some of them are here
    https://www.musicnotes.com/now/tips/10-essential-stretching-exercises-for-musicians/

It's not the one I used, I can't find that as it was about 10 years ago

I also used a powerball for a while, and it got a lot better

Obviously the best advice is to go and see your doctor in case it's the beginnings of something more sinister (just like I haven't as I don't want to get told I'm getting arthritis like my Grandad did)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Best advice is speak to a Dr. How much are you playing? If it was me I'd probably rest the hand for a couple days to see if it helps.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Best advice is speak to a Dr. How much are you playing? If it was me I'd probably rest the hand for a couple days to see if it helps.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    edited July 2020
    In my experience, doctors aren't too much help in this sort of situation although it is worth a try if you think it could be the start of something serious. The sort of exercises mentioned above and a powerball helped me.

Another thing to look at is your playing technique which can make a huge difference to the stress on your hands. I came across a very good book recently - "Playing with Ease" (David Leisner - available on Amazon). It is written from the perspective of a classical guitarist but much of it would be useful generally. It is not the easiest book to read through but it is the sort of book that contains incredibly practical and useful gems which leave you wondering why you hadn't thought of that before

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    viz said:
    I got so excited seeing “Stiff Little Fingers” in the acoustics section! 
    Yep, but quickly realised that this was a medical discussion. It sounds like swelling in the joints. It could be arthritis. It could be triggered by an infection. It could be a long list of things. Get a doctor’s opinion.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • @viz: clickbait!
    @Dave_Vader: I'll be trying that, thanks. I'm a paperwork guy, so don't have the strongest fingers.
    @LastMantra: yes, it did coincide with no football on the telly! So hard to be sensible not to pick up an instrument though.
    @GTC: cheers, I'll check that out; got free Amazon prime at the mo
    @Roland: I'll keep my fingers crossed while I still can, then!
    Thanks, all
  • fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 103
    Unless you're ancient, or there's a strong family history of it, arthritis in your fingers is unlikely. If you've been playing lots then it is probably an overuse issue. I suggest taking a break, and doing some gentle hand exercises for a week, then if you feel it's improved, resume playing gradually
  • Unless you're ancient, or there's a strong family history of it, arthritis in your fingers is unlikely. If you've been playing lots then it is probably an overuse issue. I suggest taking a break, and doing some gentle hand exercises for a week, then if you feel it's improved, resume playing gradually

Not quite as ancient as I feel sometimes :) Thanks for the suggestion.