Guitar pickups capturing bleed from monitors during recording or poor cable routing???

fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
edited July 2020 in Studio & Recording
A weird one for me.

I've recorded and mixed stuff since probably 2005 via Cubase and in recent years Reaper.

However on my last recording I noticed that when I solo guitar tracks I can hear another track muffled and faintly in the background.  Even after turning off all the insert fx so its just plain clean guitar I can hear it.  There's only 1 track, 1 take, no comps and the waveform is normal looking.  I can only assume that my guitar pickups captured the bleed of the monitor speakers whilst recording.  Weird how I've never come across this before despite 1000s of recording sessions.

On that particular session the rig was simply:

Guitar
Cable
Interface
Reaper
Some BiasFX2 inserts

and whilst recording I play the backing track playing through my monitors as i often do.  

I used 2 different guitars and both tracks have the same issue.

It's entirely possible that I had the monitors louder than normal for the 1st time ever, however I'm wondering if there is something else that could contribute?  e.g. failing cable, poor cable routing, ?

Set up is:
Simple table/desk + 2 monitors (1m XLR cables) + 1 interface + 1 laptop + 1 guitar cable

Specifically haven't listed full spec/brands as this issue is probably technique related :-)

Just plain old audio leak into pickups or something else easily fixable?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I've since read it could be cable coils interfering. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom