We've not had a Mourinho-out thread ...

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
edited July 2020 in Off Topic
... for a while.

But that's what a Covid19-inspired break from football does for you.

Please, oh please, let Levy have put a break clause in his contract if we've not made it into the Champions League at the end of the season (because there's - deservedly - not a snowflake's chance in hell of that happening).

And a clause that (a) breaks the contract and (b) requires him to repay any salary received, ever, if we get into the Europa league.

Be handy if he can also take the blame for signing Ndombele last summer too - but that might be stretching things a bit far.
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    what on earth was going on with Son and Lloris?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Part of football'
    Apparently.

I think Mourinho's time has been and gone. This will be the third squad he's lost the trust of (after Chelsea and ManU).

I liked Poch at Spurs, they seemed to play for him.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Mourinho is the archetypal pass the pain manager. Thankfully he won't be heading to Accrington Stanley any time soon. Come on the Stanley!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435

I liked Poch at Spurs, they seemed to play for him.
    Best manager we've had in years.  I think he probably wound Levy up with some of his comments last season, and that's never a wise career move.

But photo from last week, at the training ground, when Poch jr signed a new contract at Spurs ...

Poch Sr back at the training ground, in his Spurs kit, finger pointing at the badge.

Imagine what Mourinho thought when he saw that ...
    :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14184
    tFB Trader
    With somewhat of a rejuvenated Man U, it will be a fair guess that next seasons top 4 will be Liverpool, Man City, Man U and probably Chelsea, so don't currently see Arsenal and/or Spurs joining that slot next year either 

Both Arsenal and Spurs are 40 points behind Liverpool - That is some statement 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    With somewhat of a rejuvenated Man U, it will be a fair guess that next seasons top 4 will be Liverpool, Man City, Man U and probably Chelsea, so don't currently see Arsenal and/or Spurs joining that slot next year either 

Wiz.

Mourinho was great when he first went to Chelsea (hate to admit it!) but he is a relic of the past now. I HATED him at Man U, absolutely detested him, I turned the radio off every time he spoke. Needless to say, I am quite happy for him to drag any other big team downwards in the Prem.

I still can't believe that Spurs got rid of Poch, that seemed insane to me. Levy is one of those owners that I like to fail, he's such an annoying bloke. At least the Glazers are 100% in the background.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Mourinho needs a full pre-season and a devenr shot at the transfer market before being fully evaluated.

That might take years. Next season will start fairly soon after this one ends. Our transfers are going to be limited to replacements rather than additions as money is now very tight. I am reasonably certain that the covenants in the stadium loans will cripple us given the lack of match-day revenue, and the fact that we still don't have a stadium sponsor isn't something you'd be happy about.

I looked at the team yesterday and saw a group of players who individually and collectively are playing at a lower level than they were up to the beginning of last year. That started under Poch and has continued under Jose. 

Part of me hopes that we don't qualify for the Eurinal League so that we can have the time to rebuild rather than patch up. 
  • Football needs the bigger clubs playing great football, what's the point in anyone winning anything when all they've beaten are journeymen. 

Rivalry is a big part of the game, I want Spurs playing well, it makes it all the sweeter when we wipe the floor with em....
  • With somewhat of a rejuvenated Man U, it will be a fair guess that next seasons top 4 will be Liverpool, Man City, Man U and probably Chelsea, so don't currently see Arsenal and/or Spurs joining that slot next year either 

MUFC V LUFC.

Now there's a fixture guaranteed to get the heart pumping.

In recent years it appeared, apart from being drawn in the cup, that the fixture would be unlikely again.

Well done to your crew Mark, I'll be first to congratulate a brilliant effort. 

Welcome back. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14184
    tFB Trader

MUFC V LUFC.

Now there's a fixture guaranteed to get the heart pumping.

In recent years it appeared, apart from being drawn in the cup, that the fixture would be unlikely again.

Well done to your crew Mark, I'll be first to congratulate a brilliant effort. 

Welcome back. 
    not there yet - will be happier as and when Brentford slip up a few games/points - Might need to hope that Derby beat them and that is not something I ask for very often - Exciting game on Sat against Bournemouth - When Bournemouth went 1 nil up I said 'don't pee off the locals as it will come back to haunt you' - 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    edited July 2020
    (Arsenal fan here) 
    Was speaking to a work colleague (Spurs Season ticket holder) last week & he said it’s time for him to go. Not playing with a balance in the team. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    Old Moanie lost his mojo years ago and neither the players nor fans believe in him. He needs to go to a different country and change the vibe. He's properly outclassed in the Premiership now.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9696
    It's a difficult one I think,. in the Premier League generally, for small and big clubs alike in some respects.

Once a team reaches a certain level, that's their glass ceiling and there's nowhere to go. When the team I support finished 8th, that was literally as high up as we could get - massive investment is required merely to maintain that position, and if you get it wrong (as we did) you're then in the gutter because you're fighting relegation and have a roster of overpriced players you can't sell to replace, then you get relegated and again are still stuck with the players who got you there. To improve on that position would have taken Man City levels of spending, and then we'd have an entirely new team who might not gel and the same could have happened. We are on course to maybe be promoted back to the Premier again but in reality, what's the point? Our best players will get sold and then we'll just trudge through the season trying to finish 15th, maybe win a couple of matches in a cup, avoid losing to Wolves.

Maybe similar for Tottingham? To keep in the top 4 when there are about 8 teams vying for it requires massive investment, their experiment of not spending much didn't work and by the time they found that out it was too late. I don't think it's your manager that's the problem, but Levy - can't stand him (subjectively of course), but even objectively he seems to hold them back when other clubs are going for it. Had it come off, well he'd be considered very clever - but it didn't, so he isn't
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Mourinho's typical man management style is to create an us and them split in the room which has the purpose of getting rid of more powerful characters. Let's see who moves on next season. It's going to be a very different spurs team I think. I'd personally be surprised if there werent plenty of offers for Kane, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to spend the cash on his wages...and instead opt for youthful potential to bring through. Mourinho doesn't bring through players, any more at least, which is another reason I'd doubt Kane leaving white heart lane, but anything can happen in football. 

I'm not a United fan, but as someone from Manchester I'm glad the city has got a couple decent managers in charge. Although mourinho's psychodrama at utd was entertaining at times. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    TTony said:
    But photo from last week, at the training ground, when Poch jr signed a new contract at Spurs ...

Poch Sr back at the training ground, in his Spurs kit, finger pointing at the badge.

Do you think he'd come back?  Do you think they'd have him back?  Would both sides admit they made a massive mistake?  I seem to recall him making some comments about unfinished business (in a positive-sounding way, not in a go back and shoot Daniel Levy in the head kind of way).
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    scrumhalf said:
    Mourinho needs a full pre-season and a devenr shot at the transfer market before being fully evaluated.

That might take years. Next season will start fairly soon after this one ends. Our transfers are going to be limited to replacements rather than additions as money is now very tight. I am reasonably certain that the covenants in the stadium loans will cripple us given the lack of match-day revenue, and the fact that we still don't have a stadium sponsor isn't something you'd be happy about.

I looked at the team yesterday and saw a group of players who individually and collectively are playing at a lower level than they were up to the beginning of last year. That started under Poch and has continued under Jose. 

Part of me hopes that we don't qualify for the Eurinal League so that we can have the time to rebuild rather than patch up. 
    I don’t know about that.  That would make sense for most managers but he usually does his best work in the first 2 seasons.  He tends to come, his team then wins and wins. Trophies galore and then he gets irritated and buggers off.  Whether it’s England, Spain or Italy.  All his trophies comes in the first 2 seasons.  There’s always a downturn after that.

If he doesn’t do well at the half way point by the next season he won’t at Spurs at all, that’s just his career talking.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    The thing is though apart from the Champions League run (which it has to be said  was achieved with a large amount of good fortune against City and Ajax) the last year under Poch was dreadful. I love the man and the football played in his first few seasons was outstanding. However it had gone sour, the players didn't seem to be on board with him anymore so I'm not sure getting him back would be the right move for Spurs.

On the other hand anything would be better than Mourinho. The Everton game was one of the worst games of football I've sat through, even winning didn't make it enjoyable. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:

Do you think he'd come back?  Do you think they'd have him back?  Would both sides admit they made a massive mistake?  I seem to recall him making some comments about unfinished business (in a positive-sounding way, not in a go back and shoot Daniel Levy in the head kind of way).
    I like to think so.

He'd be hugely popular - he was hugely popular with 95% of the fans, and I believe that he & Levy had (and still have, apparently) a fundamentally good relationship.

Levy would have to admit he was wrong to fire Poch, but Levy is first (second, and last) a businessman.  He's also heavily invested personally in THFC Ltd, so  he will also feel the pain of this season.  If he believes that Poch coming back would be the right thing to do for the business, I think he'd do it.

Poch got a bit ahead of himself with some of the comments in the lead up to the CL final, hinting about his future (etc).  I'm guessing that was an attempt at a negotiating position, but you really don't negotiate with Levy.    A little contrition from Poch, and a welcome back from Levy could see it happen.

The whole world can see that Mourinho was a bad move.  There was a chance that it would have worked, but probably less than a 25% chance.    Recognise that now, cut losses, and bring Poch back.  

Kane (and some others, but primarily Kane) may have a role to play too.  He's irreplaceable in the team in the short-run (our big buys never work out - Ndombele), and the fans wouldn't forgive Levy if he essentially chose Mourinho over Kane.  

Anyways ... hence me hoping that there's a break clause in Mourinho's contract.  The only thing worse than not qualifying for the CL is qualifying for the Europa League.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    We weren't exactly wowing people in Poch's early days, it took him time to offload those he didn't want and bring in players who imporved the team.

You have to give Jose the same chance.