New Klon on eBay.

What's Hot

Comments

• That is a pass for me. The only time i could spend that kind of dollar on a pedal is, for an original mint condition, amazing sounding nkt 275 arbiter fuzz face.  Good luck to him though. Seeing as he is the original maker, and everyone has copied his design.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Pricewise, it's considerably less stupid than a 10k hanbag or a 2k bottle of champers. That's brand marketing for you. Take it or leave it. (I think it's indeed stupid)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    He is either very charitable, or this friend really sucks at finances or he has a lot of really bad decision making friends to a point that they keep coming up to him for money.
    Or he’s banging her and this is a way of keeping her sweet. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • micamusedmicamused Frets: 19
    althy said:
    the one question is who wants to pay 3 grands for a klon when you can get a perfect replica for an average of 200 quid?
    To be hoenst as of this day, I haven't heard any clone sounding as good as the original, i have tried several and talk to many people owning original and clones...

I would love to sell my original and get a clone but nothing equals the original for me so far.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
    micamused said:
    althy said:
    the one question is who wants to pay 3 grands for a klon when you can get a perfect replica for an average of 200 quid?
    To be hoenst as of this day, I haven't heard any clone sounding as good as the original, i have tried several and talk to many people owning original and clones...

I would love to sell my original and get a clone but nothing equals the original for me so far.
    Let's keep the myth alive. 

We can send a rocket to space carrying people to a space station and then land it back on earth.... but no one could ever copy a circuit of off the self components. 

Bill has even said the KTR is an identical pedal, so that £2,200 in your pocket. 

Just messing. I think a lot of it is people listening with their eyes, and not their ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Magic diodes
    What is the history of the Klon anyway? Those board did it end up on, that shot it in to mythical status?
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 682
    Barnezy said:
    What is the history of the Klon anyway? Those board did it end up on, that shot it in to mythical status?
    Nels Cline, basically.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Barnezy said:
    micamused said:
    althy said:

Let's keep the myth alive. 

We can send a rocket to space carrying people to a space station and then land it back on earth.... but no one could ever copy a circuit of off the self components. 

Bill has even said the KTR is an identical pedal, so that £2,200 in your pocket. 

Just messing. I think a lot of it is people listening with their eyes, and not their ears.
    Messing @Barnezy ? I think you may have a valid point. Emperors new clothing etc ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • micamusedmicamused Frets: 19
    @Barnezy, I thought also it was a myth and that a lot of clones were good enough...

UNTIL I tried clones and compared also the youtube vs videos and talked to various builders who can't reproduce the klon even with the supposedly circuit...

The other day I read somewhere Bill saying one of the component was not built anymore and so he had to use one close enough to continue building them. About the KTR, I still have to test it to know if it is at the same level or not.

So, as i said, i'd love to find a perfect clone for less than $300 but I have not find it yet... we'll see.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All the boutique builders seem to have these limited supply components in their pedals. They'd be silly to design a circuit with readily avaliable ones really. 

Either way buying a Klon isn't a bad move as the lure of an original will still exist for sometime to come, I'm sure. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    If it inspires greatness then who cares :)
    edited August 2020
    This is just getting silly. Love the fact he's said it's in "Excellent" condition. 

Centaur Klon professional overdrive (horse) https://reverb.com/item/32949753-centaur-klon-professional-overdrive-horse?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=32949753
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    There's always seemed to be a polarising aspect to the Klon. Around 2006/7 there were a number of posters on harmony central who said that it sounded rubbish and was overpriced. This was at £279 new and £200 used in the UK. In the us it was 279 USD new and slightly more used.

Sometime around 2007/8 they went out of production. Prices rose. Then suddenly it was a great pedal and people who complained about paying for a klon paid nearly as much for a copy.

I bought mine used in 2007 and there's no way I'd sell mine or pay the going price. Its an overdrive pedal, its cheaper than a plexi and you won't get arrested for being too loud.

slacker said:
    There's always seemed to be a polarising aspect to the Klon. Around 2006/7 there were a number of posters on harmony central who said that it sounded rubbish and was overpriced. This was at £279 new and £200 used in the UK. In the us it was 279 USD new and slightly more used.

Sometime around 2007/8 they went out of production. Prices rose. Then suddenly it was a great pedal and people who complained about paying for a klon paid nearly as much for a copy.

I bought mine used in 2007 and there's no way I'd sell mine or pay the going price. Its an overdrive pedal, its cheaper than a plexi and you won't get arrested for being too loud.

Personally I doubt people really buy them for their function anymore, we all know there are many alternative which sound just as "good" and very simular. It's a collectors item now. I'd buy one at the right price, just to own it. I reckon they've probably peaked in price now though. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Barnezy said:
    slacker said:

Personally I doubt people really buy them for their function anymore, we all know there are many alternative which sound just as "good" and very simular. It's a collectors item now. I'd buy one at the right price, just to own it. I reckon they've probably peaked in price now though. 
    The problem is that I'm getting to the point that when live music comes back I'll buy a copy to use live which almost negates having a real one. 
    slacker said:
    Barnezy said:
    slacker said:

The problem is that I'm getting to the point that when live music comes back I'll buy a copy to use live which almost negates having a real one. 
    And why not? Many pedals sound exactly the same. Bill even says the KTR is identical including the "magic" components. It's a collectors item now, not a tool. You wouldn't wash your car using a Ming vase as a bucket. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    All these high priced overdrive pedals seem crazy to me. From an electronics point of view if you copy the circuit using the same components then it will sound the same. The Klon uses 2 dual opamps and a charge pump IC  .... all 3 of these chips are generic cheap IC's used in millions of devices. There are the famous germanium diodes which will vary in voltage drop and thus clipping but then that will vary slightly in real Klons as well. Not to the point it will sound radically different but the drive knob might need to be in a slightly different position to be exactly the same as another one. So the key to holding the value is restrict supply. 
    If your keeping one as an investment though it's value is totally dependent on how many other people decide to sell. 

I really admire the design of the Klon, it's a clever circuit the way the 1044 is used and I really like the sound of the pedal into a Fender amp. The Soul Food is a great copy in terms of the circuit and sounds almost identical. It's just a same they made it using such cheap nasty pots. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Cols said:
    Whatever.  The point is that making a handful of any product and selling at a high price is not an effective way of making money compared to high volume, low cost mass production.  

Look at the car industry; expensive brands like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin and Bentley aren’t the big earners.  It’s Toyota, Volkswagen and GM.

Assuming this is no longer for the periodic benefit of his mysterious and financially bedevilled friend, the hand-crafted Klons are a ‘halo model’ to add prestige to the mass-produced Klon KTRs.  And why shouldn’t he make some money from it?  He produced a classic design; I’d be happier for him to make some cash from it than some Chinese knock-off firm.

The difference is that Lambo, Ferrari etc. have to keep coming out with new models. That's a lot of effort in development and retooling.  Their costs would be a lot lower if they could still keep churning out the same cars as they made 25 years ago, and didn't need to invest in development.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    I don't believe personally that there is anyone who could pick out a genuine Klon from a sample of say 10 decent klones. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis