Please suggest a Suzi Quatro CD

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
I discovered that I have no Suzi Quatro CDs in my collection. I am very impressed by the video, posted on this site, of her discussing bass and music. So what CD should I order to get a flavour of her music?  Thanks. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    She used to have a radio show, Rockin' With Susie Q, where I thought she came across really brilliantly: warm, likeable, very knowledgeable and with excellent taste.  Worth digging those out.

As for her own material I can't say I was ever a fan.  She was sexy, had an image that worked well for the time, and could deliver a rocker, but she got the chance to be a manufactured glam rock star in the Chinn/Chapman stable and (perfectly understandably) went for it.  Whether she would have had a more substantial creative career if that hadn't happened who knows: some of what she recorded isn't terrible by any means but I wouldn't call it great either.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I've got this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suzi-Quatro-Gold-Collection/dp/B00000734R

I don't know if it's the best, but it's got most or all of the songs you would want as a starter, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    She used to live up the road from me in the early 80s and drink in my local country pub. Very normal person with a great personality and loved a pint and a game of darts. No diva that one ...great lady - altho very short haha amazing the way she threw that prec. bass around
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Just buy a greatest hits album.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    I have her first 2 albums which feature all the Mike Chapman written hits alongside a number of covers and the occasional self penned songs which aren't brilliant. That's enough, never felt the need to delve any deeper.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The one I’d associate with her is the first self titled one so that or a greatest hits I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783

Seems like one of those cases where a greatest hits - and/or maybe a live album - is the way to go.

Maybe it's an unfair assumption, but I'd imagine the "proper" albums are mostly filler, very little killer.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Greatest hits would be the way to go. The wife got us tickets to see her in concert about ten years ago and there was too much of the middle-of-the-road-type splitting the audience into section. s and getting them to do backing-vocals crap.

She did unfamiliar material and did stints on piano and drums on occasion. She claimed to be wearing the same leather suits that she wore in the seventies but looked like an old woman in a spacesuit TBH.

I remember seeing her on Crackerjack and thinking she was a boy (everybody had long hair in those days). I was in Primary School in those days so somewhat innocent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    I remember seeing her on Crackerjack and thinking she was a boy (everybody had long hair in those days). I was in Primary School in those days so somewhat innocent.

That reminds me, on the first couple of Rick Derringer albums he looks a lot like Suzi Quatro.  I wonder if they ever met?

Rick Derringer - Joy Ride Solo Albums 1973-1980 2017 review

Rick Derringer - Spring Fever 1975 Vinyl  Discogs

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    I think Mojo or Classic Rock did a best albums thing a few months ago. Someone might have a copy. 
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    A Greatest Hits compilation would have most of the essential stuff on it, from the glam rock stuff to the later 70s soft-rock material. Not even sure she released that much in the 80s and 90s
    She did do an album a few years ago with Andy Scott of The Sweet & Don Powell of Slade called QSP that's worth a listen
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    There's a good documentary about her on SkyArts (I think). She has an interesting story that goes well beyond the Chinn and Chapman era. She's sold 55 million albums worldwide!
    Link to my trading feedback