SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Tentative enquiry about a good baritone 6-string acoustic

What's Hot
Last year I bought a PRS electric baritone, and I like it.  I was wondering whether TFB members might have good quality 6-string acoustic baritones they have for sale.

As I said, just a tentative enquiry at the moment, but something may come of it.

Cheers!

Clive
Oxfordshire.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pluckedoutpluckedout Frets: 146
    I haven't got one for sale anymore so apologies if this isn't helpful but I had an amazing Alvarez AV2 that I sold earlier this year, if you can find one of them they are superb. Not played any of the newer Alvarez baritones but they have the same design so might be worth checking out.
  • MooseAbootMooseAboot Frets: 10
    edited July 2020
    Another recommendation, for the furch blue baritone.  Occasionally see these on reverb for 850-900.  Great instrument that I bought a few years ago, thinking it might be a fad for me.  But it has stayed in open D tuning (bflat) and just keeps giving.  I think they usually retail around 1100.
  • gibbo666gibbo666 Frets: 24
    Thank you both for your interesting responses.  I was tending towards a Taylor (the 6-string, rather than the 8-string).  Does anyone have one of those for sale?  Or simple experience of one that might help me?

• Take a look at the Auden Edgar. 

I have two Audens (though not one of these) and they are great VFM

https://audenguitars.com/product/artist-rosewood-edgar-baritone-cedar-fullbody/
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893
    I have an Alan Arnold one that I rarely play not sure if I want to sell, but worth looking at his specs, this one is 29 inch
    http://www.alanarnoldguitars.co.uk/guitar_baritone.htm

what budget do you have anyway?

I have a really nice Avalon too, not sure if I could sell that

I have a baritone Larrivee too - probably the most likely one for your purpose, it has a wide nut too, which is very helpful with baritone

Personally I don't rate Taylors very highly, and I would also avoid the 8 string, unless you only play with a pick

What do you want to tune it to? I think you need 29 inch to get down to B-B or lower
    Many people tune B-B on the 27 inch ones, but I think that sounds wrong, for the same reason that short scale basses don't sound as good as long scale basses
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    I'm currently in the process of buying an Ibanez AELBT1NT baritone from Ebay, however, a shop near me has an Ibanez AE255BT baritone in stock which I've tried. It sounds nice acoustically, but I didn't get a chance to try it plugged in. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

Also, Faith do a Neptune baritone now which could be interesting. 

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

Larrivee BT60
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    I played an Auden which I though was quite nice, but only baritone I’ve ever played. 
    Many thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming!

To answer a couple of questions raised, my budget would, I guess, be in the region of £1,000, though if an exceptional vintage baritone came up for sale at a higher price I would consider it.

I have never used a plectrum.  My acoustic styles are mainly fingerpicking or flatpicking, with a lot of thumb wrapped around the bass string.  For lead, I use my carefully-manicured (ho ho!) nails. 

The Faith is around the £899 mark, all solid wood. The few demos I've watched it sounds good.

To be honest, I don't care for buying new guitars.  They depreciate too quickly, and I prefer a 'worn in' sort of vibe.  I was hoping to find a Gibson or Martin, but after a cursory look on t'internet, I can't find any.  Did either of these companies make acoustic baritones?  I was pretty sure I had seen vintage Martin baritones before, but, as I say, there's no sign of them at the moment, so maybe I just imagined it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    gibbo666 said:
    To be honest, I don't care for buying new guitars.  They depreciate too quickly, and I prefer a 'worn in' sort of vibe.  I was hoping to find a Gibson or Martin, but after a cursory look on t'internet, I can't find any.  Did either of these companies make acoustic baritones?  I was pretty sure I had seen vintage Martin baritones before, but, as I say, there's no sign of them at the moment, so maybe I just imagined it.
    I looked hard and long for my 3 baritones,  2 made in the UK and one in the USA

I'd sell the Larrivee for £1400

It looks like this one

This is the same body as the SD60, which was the only Larrivee I kept from 5 of them 10 years ago, the tone is exceptional for a Larrivee

the nut is wider than usual, which makes things great for fingerpicking
  • tone control's looks lovely.  can only imagine the whomp from a 12 fret Bari!
    glenns guitars has a furch SW baritone in just now for 1199.
    tone control's looks lovely.  can only imagine the whomp from a 12 fret Bari!
    glenns guitars has a furch SW baritone in just now for 1199.
    2 of my baritones are 12 fret
    they sound much fuller than the 14 fret one, very big difference
    I've finally got my Ibanez baritone, the AELBT1NT, it's a lovely thing.