Rules for the return to live Music

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
Here we go, does appear if you want to perform to an audience it must be work ie paid !
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-5-1
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Here we go, does appear if you want to perform to an audience it must be work ie paid !
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-5-1
    I really don’t think that it’s going to be as easy as some pubs imagine to host an outdoor gig. There are lots of hidden land mines within this government guidance...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Those guidelines are rather pointless as who in their right minds would want to go to a concert or a show?

Time for us musos to show some leadership and refuse to play such venues, venues that don't give a two penny damn about the health and wellbeing of its patrons, all in the pursuit of profit.

There will be time enough and loads of opportunity to play when the current crisis is over and/or a vaccine has been developed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
    That's not quite correct - according to that link, if you are not being paid you have to abide by the normal "meeting people from outside your household" rules. 
    These state that: "you can continue to meet in any outdoor space in a group of up to 6 people from different households"

So even if you're not being paid, then you can play anywhere you like so long as it's outdoors, and your band has less than six people in it.
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    Rocker said:
    Time for us musos to show some leadership and refuse to play such venues, venues that don't give a two penny damn about the health and wellbeing of its patrons, all in the pursuit of profit.

There will be time enough and loads of opportunity to play when the current crisis is over and/or a vaccine has been developed
    That’s really easy to say as a hobbyist musician, where gigs are your leisure, and you don’t rely on them for your income. Or as someone who doesn’t have bills to pay on a music venue premises. Or isn’t part of the supply chain that makes gigs happen. 

All of which have seen their income stream utterly decimated, with the bills and fixed costs still due. 

For those of us who are part of those industries - whilst this guidance isn’t brilliant, it opens the doors to start going back to work, to start generating some income again after four months of zero or virtually zero income. 

It’s not a case of profit for our industry. We’ve been haemorrhaging cash for months, eating into reserves or debt for some. Anyone putting gigs on now is simply trying to get closer balance the books. 

So perhaps consider that the entire supply chain of live music - from professional bands themselves, through to venues, sound and lighting companies, security companies etc etc - are actually in dire straits, and trying to do anything we can, within the government guidelines, to keep people employed, to keep out of bankruptcy, and to keep live music alive..

Sadly for many in that supply chain - when a vaccine comes will be too late. The venues will have shut doors and be sold off. The bands will be working in other industries. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    @bob21 you are right. If I can explain my situation, I’ve invested a load of capital into noise boxes which I rent out along with myself to make bands hopefully sound better so people can enjoy them. Between March and September I make 80% of my income also giving work and pay to 3 or 4 freelancers. My last gig was the 1st March the next god knows. This is my only source of income. 

Any help from the government is conditional on my continuing what I do. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @maltingsaudio Yeah, absolutely bang on. I’m lucky enough to be full time employed by one of the large-ish players in sound and video - and furlough has been a lifeline in terms of retaining staff.. but the fixed costs are very much still there draining the minimal income! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    https://youtu.be/19ouFYvw6-c

That’s a socially distanced gig! 
    No audience probably helps but interesting how they’ve set the stage up, don’t know how possible that’s going to be for belting out Mustang Sally down the local. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited July 2020
    bob21 said:
    @maltingsaudio Yeah, absolutely bang on. I’m lucky enough to be full time employed by one of the large-ish players in sound and video - and furlough has been a lifeline in terms of retaining staff.. but the fixed costs are very much still there draining the minimal income! 
    I'm a single director limited company - not eligible for SEISS, and still got to carry out business related activities to keep things ticking over so can't furlough myself either, I've been eligible for nothing. Picked up a couple of little live streamed gigs but aside from that, nothing. Had to give up my unit and cut whatever costs I can. Worried for the big companies (I'm only up the road from the Adlib guys) who've got huge fixed costs. Think there's going to be some big casualties across the industry before things get back to normal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    It's most shocking of all to me that someone has actually been paid to produce that turgid nonsense. Utterly ridiculous from start to finish and clearly written by someone who has a) never played a musical instrument and b) probably never even attended a gig.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    'Paid'   .....that rules out half our gigs.  We had a couple of 50th birthdays  booked this month would've been fun.  I mainly miss getting together and learning new songs.  In a business where about 5% of bands actually cover their expenses has anyone ventured  into getting income tax refunds on their 'main' job?  In the past year I've probably spent £8k on equipment and earned around £150 from playing.  I'm sure if the figures were the other way round, the Inland Revenue would be sending me bills.
  • @bob21 and @mike257 This was me last night in Bristol in support of all of us https://www.facebook.com/673281015/posts/10157436779556016/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    uncledick said:
    'Paid'   .....that rules out half our gigs.  We had a couple of 50th birthdays  booked this month would've been fun.  I mainly miss getting together and learning new songs.  In a business where about 5% of bands actually cover their expenses has anyone ventured  into getting income tax refunds on their 'main' job?  In the past year I've probably spent £8k on equipment and earned around £150 from playing.  I'm sure if the figures were the other way round, the Inland Revenue would be sending me bills.
    It doesn't work that way I'm afraid.  If you are not earning a significant portion of your income from music then it's a hobby and you can earn, from memory, up to £1k pa before you need to pay tax.  You can't claim for your gear.

If you could claim then I could call myself a proffesional athlete and claim my gym membership (that is if HMRC could stop laughing long enough to process the claim).

@bob21 and @mike257 This was me last night in Bristol in support of all of us https://www.facebook.com/673281015/posts/10157436779556016/
    Nice work! We took 22 of our guys down to the southbank last night. Was a great sight with several thousand people!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    @bob21 and @mike257 This was me last night in Bristol in support of all of us https://www.facebook.com/673281015/posts/10157436779556016/
    bob21 said:
    Nice work! We took 22 of our guys down to the southbank last night. Was a great sight with several thousand people!
    Great work guys - I was down at the Arena in Liverpool, a good few hundred of us along on the night. Not sure it's made much difference, it's a start though!
  • Are the rules for live music in bars and working men’s clubs any clearer yet? I’ve been offered a solo gig at a local WMC on 19th Sept and just want to clarify whether it’s ok to go ahead.
  • DNHDNH Frets: 15
    Are the rules for live music in bars and working men’s clubs any clearer yet? I’ve been offered a solo gig at a local WMC on 19th Sept and just want to clarify whether it’s ok to go ahead.
    Interested in this too. I play in a 5 piece and we have been offered an indoors gig in a large local pub in Oct. 
  • DNH said:
    Are the rules for live music in bars and working men’s clubs any clearer yet? I’ve been offered a solo gig at a local WMC on 19th Sept and just want to clarify whether it’s ok to go ahead.
    Interested in this too. I play in a 5 piece and we have been offered an indoors gig in a large local pub in Oct. 
    There must be widespread confusion or someone would have come back with some clear guidance by now...
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Indoor live music is permitted with “socially distanced audiences”.  With yesterday’s announcement though, it’s an absolute bloody minefield.

My understanding is that you can still have more than 6 people in a pub, but groups together within the pub can’t be larger than 6 people.  God only knows how they’re proposing to police that one.

Coronavirus: Social gatherings above six banned in England from 14 September https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131
  • Cols said:
    Indoor live music is permitted with “socially distanced audiences”.  
    This is how I currently understand it too, however I have seen some venues cancel gigs as they say the performers can't be 'socially distanced'. I suspect there are very few venues where all band members could be 2m+ apart.

As it happens, we have an indoor gig booked for October in a large venue, and as of yesterday (just before the announcement) the venue owner was still wanting to go ahead with it...I wonder if today's news will have changed this.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    uncledick said:
    Paid. Charge the birthday boy or girl £1. Or charge them £200 and give them a birthday present. Say £200?