Ibanez srtn1 preamp problems. No output

What's Hot

Has anyone got any experience with the ibanez srtn1 preamp system on their Electro Acoustic guitars.  

Bought a 12 string Ibanez yesterday but am unable to get it to work through an amp. 

When plugged in with fresh batteries all I get is a green flashes on the the eq section,  the on-board tuner seems to turn on but doesn't pickup the strings.  

There is no output unless I really crank the amp and even then it's barely audible mostly high pitch hissing noise.  

I've got until Tuesday to take it back for a refund so have the weekend to try and get it sorted.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited July 2020
    Check that the pickup is connected properly - they're often plugged into the preamp with a mini-jack, which can sometimes come loose.

Even if it's not that, it sounds more like a pickup issue than the preamp itself, although almost any fault is possible with this sort of system...

(Edit) just checked and it appears to be a B-Band system. The pickup strip is plugged in with a jumper connector rather than a mini-jack, but it's still the first thing to check. B-Band systems are not among the most reliable though, so if you have any doubts then send it back.

Electro-acoustics... the work of Satan.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6915
    tFB Trader
    It's probably the pickup element. In my experience the B-Band transducers are prone to failure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for taking the time out to reply.  

Just checked all the connections and all seems OK  ,  when I move the controls the " hiss "  sound does vary in keeping in with their movements.. 
    Would this make it more likely the pickup?  Strangely when I loosened the strings and strummed the sound increased through the amp ( it's a 12 string)  .  .  

Here is a photo of how the pickup attaches to the eq. 

Https://i.imgur.com/ngzKYZU.jpg
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited July 2020
    Strangely, when I loosened the strings and strummed, the sound increased through the amp
    This is what would be expected to happen if the physical contact between the bridge saddle and the piezo transducer strip were inconsistent.

In this instance, slackening the string tension reduces the lean on the saddle towards the nut. As the saddle returns to vertical, it makes fuller contact with the piezo transducer strip.

It might be worth slackening the strings enough to take the saddle out. Inspect the underside edge of the saddle. Check that the transducer strip sits flat in the bottom of the bridge slot.
    Be seeing you.
  • Thanks...took off the bridge saddle but the Static / hiss still remains at the same volume .

I was hoping for an easy fix but might be best to take it back for a refund

took off the bridge saddle but the Static / hiss still remains at the same volume.
    It will.

This indicates that the pre-amp module is fully operational.

when I loosened the strings and strummed, the sound increased through the amp
    This suggests that the piezo is capable of yielding some signal if/when sufficient downward pressure is applied through the saddle. In short, a physical/mechanical problem rather than an electrical one.

easy fix … take it back for a refund
    The shop might offer to repair the guitar instead or replace it under warranty. 
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    That does sound like a failed pickup. As SteveRobinson said it’s common with B-Band.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@musicalstash If you like everything about your guitar expect the defective piezo transducer, it might be worth angling for a partial refund, then, investing in a better quality transducer system. e.g. L.R. Baggs, Fishman, K&K et cetera. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Took the bridge out again and sanded it flat to make sure it made ull contact with the strip but still no joy.  

Will take it back on Monday as I know from past experience when you try to haggle on the price on a used guitar after you have bought it it gets complicated. 

To be honest got fed-up after the fifth time of restringing the guitar ( it's a 12 string)  and broke a couple of strings in the process which I've had to replace. 

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestion. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6915
    tFB Trader
    @musicalstash If you like everything about your guitar expect the defective piezo transducer, 

The B-Band system isn't piezo BTW, I think it's an electret capacitance-based transducer.
    The B-Band system isn't piezo BTW, I think it's an electret capacitance-based transducer.
    ICBM said:
    Electro-acoustics ... the work of Satan.
    /thread
    Be seeing you.