tweed champ speakers

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15927
Does the addition of a 12" speaker make much of a difference to the tone of this baby over the 8" speaker?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    Yeah! A Rocket 50 will make it sound ***t!!

Dave.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited July 2020
    Huge. Not a tweed but I have a 8" silverface champ, was alright, now has a 12" cab and a carefully selected speaker, brilliant now.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    When i ordered my Rift 5f1 amp i went for a 10 inch speaker. After i had ordered it i read some negative / positive comments on 10/12 inch speaker size that had me worried. I have nothing to compare it to but it sounds fantastic 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    It effectively turns it into a different amp, which may be a good or bad thing. 

I run mine into various cabs and a 12" can definitely make it a more usable, general purpose amp, but you also lose a little magic along the way. 

I would only consider building a Champ into a 12" combo permanently if it were my only amp, but quite frankly almost any regular large valve combo is better at sounding big and deep, so it seems a shame to ditch the Champ-ness in search of a more "normal" amp tone. 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2175
    @Hootsmon is that my old Champ your referring too? 

Get a Twwed Deluxe if you want a 12" speaker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Enormously different.

I much prefer a 5F1 with a 12” speaker - it’s full and natural-sounding, and extremely responsive to the guitar and playing technique, whereas with the 8” it’s the opposite - a very specific sound which dominates everything you do with it.

I prefer a 5F1 with a 12” to a 5E3 as well, for the same reason - although the difference is less drastic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15927
    edited July 2020
    ^John.....I don't think the Fender champ cab (as is) takes a 12"...that about right?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    ^John.....I don't think the Fender champ cab (as is) takes a 12"...that about right?
    No, I don't think you can get one in - the depth is likely to be as much of an issue as the diameter - and even if you could I probably wouldn't try anyway... you don't want the speaker too big for the cab, that can end up sounding boxy and odd.

You need a 12" 5E3-size cab designed for a 5F1 chassis. Someone like @Modulus_Amps can probably build one if you can't find one easily - or this chap, a customer of mine had a couple of Blues Juniors which we put in 5E3-size pine cabs from him, which are superb... https://afcustomcabinets.weebly.com

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Thanks John and guys  ;)
    tae be or not tae be
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I really like the dry sound at 8 inch gives! My wet goes through a 10inch at home to capture more dynamics. Love that 8 inch tweedie punch to accentuate the notes. It's horses for courses though. If I had one amp it would probably be a 10 or 12 inch. But for pure tonal discovery an eq'd 8 inch through a champ is fantastic alongside something else to pick up the fullness. The pair can get decently loud too
    all things considered.....resale value and 8" v 12" and tone and stuff......what amp would you rather have  @ICBM ; ....the Fender 5f1 or the Victoria 5112?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    all things considered.....resale value and 8" v 12" and tone and stuff......what amp would you rather have  @ICBM ; ....the Fender 5f1 or the Victoria 5112?
    For a proper Champ with an 8" speaker I'd rather have the Fender, for a 5F1 with a 12" I'd rather have the Victoria - although I think it needs a better speaker than the stock Eminence Legend really.

^ What would be your ideal 12" speaker then?
    tae be or not tae be
    It actually sounded great with a Celestion G12H-30 Heritage, but I'd probably pick some sort of Jensen for my own purposes- maybe a P12N - I think they suit big, open-sounding speakers.

On the other hand my old '59 Champ sounded fantastic through a Marshall 4x12" with G12M-25s... but that may have been more to do with the cab than the speakers.

FYI if you ever see a Mk 1 HT-5 combo going silly cheap you can just fit a 12" in that. Cannot say what other chassis might also fit of course.

Dave.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I’ve got a ht5 combo (with a 12” speaker) that I’m planning to use for a 5f1 build. Just need to get around to getting a chassis made up for it. 
    nick79 said:
    I’ve got a ht5 combo (with a 12” speaker) that I’m planning to use for a 5f1 build. Just need to get around to getting a chassis made up for it. 

Right well it is a bit of a squeeze you might have to change the transformer layout a bit to miss the magnet. The Five had a small mains transformer and really wee OPT.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Noted, cheers Dave