Any lighting experts out there? Need some DMX advice

TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
I do the lights for our three-piece pub band and I need some DMX advice.

We used to use 4 x slimline par cans (QTX SPSW models) which I connected together using the QTX FC2 footswitch.  

We have now purchased an additional 2 x QTX slimline par cans ....... but the newer (and slimmer) SL-SW models.  They're virtually identical, other than a slight change to the casing.  However, I notice that that FC2 footswitch doesn't seem to be compatible with the new SL-SW units.  I see there is a new FC3 footswitch out ...... I guess that would be compatible.

However, I would like one controller to control them all.  Is it a case that the new SL-SW models are just not compatible with the older SP-SW units, despite being so similar looking?  Or is there some controller I could get (doesn't have to be foot operated) which would control them all together.

Also, I may like to add some more lights ..... from other manufacturers.  Is it possible for one controller to control units from more than one manufacturer?

Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

With DMX you normally have your DMX  controller desk and that can control pretty much any DMX protocol device, although some cheaper desks won't have the correct controls for moving head lights and such. The stripped down floor switch controllers are generally just simple remotes for use when you don't have a DMX desk.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom