Flare Audio: Fact or fiction?

What's Hot
This thing feels far too simple to be real, can someone please explain the pseudo-science to me please?

It’s been spamming my instagram feed, I’d normally ignore it but my wife suffers from tinnitus so if there’s any merit I’ll get a set for her to try. I suspect it’s bull though.

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/calmer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Spammed my Facebook feed too, with misspelt and ungrammatical tributes. Gave it a miss :-)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Hmmm, the idea that sticking something in your ear can help with tinnitus, sounded far fetched.
    It would be great if it were true, but when I tried searching for any reproducible medical reviews or trials it came up empty apart from anecdotes.
    https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/flare-audio-calmer-%E2%80%94-does-it-help-tinnitus.41689/

I can't avoid tinnitus but can avoid 'social media'  :#
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Mrs Paganskins was looking at those too, big spammy push going on currently. 

Interestingly my tinnitus has been better since lockdown and working from home, spent an hour or so driving yesterday and it’s come back. Not sure if that’s road noise or an air pressure thing?
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940

Interestingly my tinnitus has been better since lockdown and working from home, spent an hour or so driving yesterday and it’s come back. Not sure if that’s road noise or an air pressure thing?
    Road noise sets my tinnitus off like crazy. I hate it.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276

Road noise sets my tinnitus off like crazy. I hate it.
    I’ve never made the connection but apparently according to Mrs P it is know to aggravate it. Stereo wasn’t really on as the kid had fun kids on and there wasn’t any reception. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited July 2020
    I bought some.  Ive worn then for a few days and they do make day to day stuff a bit...er....calmer.  They certainly take out some of the higher frequencies and I found that listening to podcasts via bluetooth in the car on the way to work was a bit clearer and the road noise was certainly less intrusive.  One fits perfectly to the point that I can almost forget its there, the other however is just a touch loose and I find a need to readjust it every 20-30 minutes or so.  

As for helping with tinnitus.  No difference at all.

Comments on their website and F-book page do make it clear that its only by accident that some people are claiming they help and they are not marketing them as such - but I bet they have sold shit loads on that basis.

Ill keep them as on long journeys - the train and even on plane trips I can see them taking a few db of the overall sound without any noticeable reduction in the quality.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    Intriguing, thanks @Thumpingrug, just what I needed to hear*! Guess I’ll pass :+1: 

*See what I did there ;)
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I did look at these but decided against it.  My tinnitus is only really noticeable when it’s really quiet - hence sleeping with a desk fan on, even in winter.  

I’ve heard my high-ish blood pressure probably doesn’t help, either.... any opinions?
  • It's nonsense.

Another pseudo bollocks thing I've seen a lot of recently is grounded sleeping - as in, they sell you an expensive bed sheet that plugs into the mains to ground it. This apparently helps sleep and loads of maladies. 

They say it's backed by science, but the papers are all in unknown open-source journals I've never heard of. Digging further, the funding seems to have come from companies that would have an interest in a positive result. 

Such nonsense. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    @ThePrettyDamned - I’ve not seen those but that’s properly hilarious!
  • @ThePrettyDamned - I’ve not seen those but that’s properly hilarious!

It's proper weird. They claim that, by grounding, you allow electrons to flow back to earth. 

Technically, I believe the potential will change if you ground yourself - you'll go from a standing potential to about nothing - but the idea that this will benefit you is insane. 

People buy into it though! 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    Late to the party but I just got some of these, partly as I was curious re: tinnitus but because I’m realising more and more how ADHD and easily distracted I am. Within ten minutes, I could tell already that the reduction in certain frequencies has definitely relaxed me. So, for me, total win so far. I’ve also got the sleep ones, which I’ll try tonight, as I’ve had sleep issues for around 15 years. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    They're perfect for focused bass, haunting mids and smooth treble.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom