Stupid question but here goes

What's Hot
After struggling trying to get a battery into a sound hole mount by neck block is there an easier method. I am new to aucostics and have not had to change strings yet so know little about bridge pins. As I am likely to have to change a battery before I change strings I assume simply loosening the strings and pushing the bass E to D strings out of the way will not actually damage the bridge or pins. I assume the bridge and pins are designed to take a pulling force the usual way but what about when strings are pushed out of the way by the sound hole. Told you it was a stupid question

Alternatively is it easier to simply pop the bridge pins out. Again I have not done that before etc

I have my tin hat on so let me have it 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    If I need to get the strings away from the sound hole to stick a whole hand/forearm in, a capo on 1st, loosen all strings by some degree then pop the pins out carefully not to scratch the bridge usually does it.
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited July 2020
    Cheers makes sense your method. Why the capo though 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Cheers makes sense your method. Why the capo though 
    So the strings don’t pop off the machine heads when they’re loose and go all over the place
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    I am likely to have to change a battery before I change strings
    The owner’s manual for your guitar’s electronics should quote a battery life expectancy. For light domestic use, that could be over twelve months.

If you will be gigging regularly, the strings and the PP3 will want changing more frequently. Just coordinate both tasks into one pitstop.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Cheers the other query was I assume there is nothing wrong in pushing the strings to the side ie it won't cause damage to pins or bridge etc. I assume not but good to know for the future 
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Cheers the other query was I assume there is nothing wrong in pushing the strings to the side ie it won't cause damage to pins or bridge etc. I assume not but good to know for the future 
    Shouldn’t be a problem, just be careful as you go and don’t use excessive force. I think you’d have to pretty heavy handed, or actually trying, to damage the bridge this way. 

Agree with the other poster that your battery should outlast your strings, make sure you’re unplugging it when not in use etc. 

By the way changing strings is pretty straightforward, and rewarding as it will sound nicer with fresh strings on. There are approx 1869338 tutorial videos on YouTube on how to do it :)
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    This came up a few weeks ago and someone recommended string spreaders like these. https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/string-spreader.html  I picked some up on evilBay for a bit less. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    edited July 2020
    Just loosen the strings far enough to get your hand in, there's nothing more to it than that. If the strings are fitted properly they won't come off the machineheads, and the bridge pins won't pop out.

It's not a stupid question, by the way - you just don't need to over-think the answer :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers everyone