Online playing

LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
Pretty sure there have been several topics about this but I can't find them right now so apologies! 

We're getting the band back together. Ish. 
We're all in different locations at the moment, so we can't really get back together together, so we planned on an online jam type to see where we are after the several year hiatus..

What software have people used and has any of it actually worked well? Latency issues?

We're a 3 piece, 1 guitar, one drums, 1bass+vocals. 
Drummer has e-kit setup, all have interfaces etc. 
Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    I tried a couple of jams with the (now ex) other guitarist in our band, using a few different clients. It was pretty painful, with a combination of latency plus issues with "intelligent muting" on some platforms. it was OK for a laugh and to keep in touch, but totally useless for any kind of meaningful rehearsal or collaboration.

That said, we didn't look into it massively, as the drummer and the bassist don't even have computers as far as I'm aware, so there could well be solutions that work better than Skype/Teams/Zoom etc.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I  wouldn't bother unless you try a paid service...there is one that got good reviews that worked well....trying to think who it was??....anything free will be troublesome and frustrating.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    The more I read into it the less convinced I am.. it's either a hell of a lot of faff, paid or shit. Most of the good reviews comes from ones who are in close proximity to each other.. our drummer is in Poland at the moment :/