Those unfinished projects . . .

What's Hot
I’m a bit of a sucker for lame ducks, and have rescued a couple of unfinished guitar projects in the past.  I can’t be the only one - does anyone have a once-promising project guitar that they gave up on, for whatever reason?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Too many to count :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Several, sometimes Ill get one out and have another go, or just raid them for parts for something else
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I've still got to do my Rebel Bass.

But I've done loads of other projects in the interim.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    I've a RG I've been meaning to strip from its painted black finish to wood and oil it. I've got a set of p90s from algree to put in it for something different
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    By meaning to strip, I mean I've started and gotten bored over a series of months/year
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    I've been meaning to repaint my first guitar, I foolishly sanded off the black finish to reveal a plywood body, I thought it looked cool at the time.
    It's just a hardtail strat by Artist :D but it will be 30 years in my possession next year
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659

The blue one is a Madbean Pork Barrel CE-2 Clone (sounds just like my Dad's - only mods are ne5532 for the LFO, 100nF rate cap swapped for a 39nF cap (goes a little bit faster is all) and a 220k resistor on the diffused LED (220k?!).

The Black one is a rare Madbean copy of a Wampler 65 - this and a Peavey Rage 158 (of all things) sounded like I imagined the 74 Fender Twin would... but at sensible volumes.

The grey one is to be a Ross compressor that is currently being modded - I fancied an SP Comp, so took a tonepad DynaRoss I had for over a decade and swapped pots for switches and I'm making the blender this evening ;) - hoping to house it this weekend.

... so that's my bedroom board ... 

This is my main board that I use for live sets, gigs and session work ... in my imagination when I'm playing in my bedroom.

the tiny bright onion pedal is a momentary switch that goes to the underside and is split to go to the floral expression pedal (driving the Timefactor) and an on-off to the dry-bell. So with the timefactor pretending to be the top-horn of a leslie and the dry-bell pretending to be the bass cab - I select fast/slow and the dry-bell ramps up or down and it sounds okay... 

Here's the splitter to send the stereo signal to the dry-bell (and fuzz and onto the timefactor) and directly to the timefactor... and the handwired momentary-to-latching-flip-flop preset switcher. 

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited July 2020
    i keep trying to convince myself i'll either finish or rebuild these (amongst the 'others' in the shed too)
     one day .. theres always another project & theres always ebay for the leftovers :)

https://imgur.com/a/TYzSiqY
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader

Do minor cockups count, where I haven't made the guitar exactly to the customers requirement and put it on a shelf to be sorted a later date, some of these later dates could go back ten years or more.

I have several LPJ SC’s that didn't quite make the grade but will most likely make excellent guitars when I get round to sorting them out.

I also have quite a few Thunderbirds bodies that have been sitting on the shelf for years, cannot remember why now. I could finish these off as Fenderbirds as they seem to be quite popular now.

I've got a couple of Rosewood necks that I kind of got wrong drilling the holes too adjust the trust rods, just a little bit too deep into the face of the headstock. I very much doubt if it would affect the strength of the neck. I really should finish these off.

Maybe I should have one day a week allocated to finishing off some of the above.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/