SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: 1967 Fender Telecaster, trades invited

What's Hot
gibbo666gibbo666 Frets: 24
edited August 2020 in Guitars £

Hi y’all,

Sorry to bother you.  I’ve been selling this on Reverb for ages for £3,500, and there’s a guy – I’m pretty sure he’s on TFB - who keeps telling me to bring the price down, but I can’t remember his name.  I’ve decided today to reduce it to £3,200.  So, if you’re there, let me know, if you’re still interested.

For anyone else who has just pricked up their ears at the sound of a 1967 Telecaster going for a bargain, I still have trouble getting photos up onto TFB, but if you’re interested, I can send you photos (and if there’s enough interest I may even try again).  Just reply to this message.

This is the blurb I wrote on Reverb:

“A wonderful Telecaster that feels, plays, and looks sublime. It has a slim ‘B’ profile maple neck and rare slab board. Serial number is 207834. At some point it was fitted with a Gibson humbucker in the neck position, but this was later restored with a genuine 1960s Fender pickup. The routing has been very professionally plugged with well-seasoned ash and reworked to the original specification, as you can see in the photos. The hardware, bridge pickup, and electronics all appear to be period correct, though the jack socket is a modern Switchcraft, and the pickguard is a more recent Fender one. I can include the original pickguard, modified for the humbucker, at no additional charge. The neck has been re-fretted and over-sprayed, while the body has been stripped, and won’t require much prepping before a respray, though I think the way it looks right now is fine, and full of mojo. I have no idea if the case is original, but it certainly looks the part.

My guitar techy has set the guitar up with a lovely low action. He added the following comments: “Bridge pickup is totally original and possibly pre 1967 as it has the waxed black cotton wrapped around the coils. White cotton was also used but usually appears on later ones. Neck pickup is genuine 60’s too with the black and white fabric covered leads. Volume and tone pots might be original but are more likely 70s replacements. They have plastic shafts which were very common on Fender Jaguars and Tele Deluxes of the 70s but rarely used in the 60s. Switch is original. There’s been routing for a humbucker in the bridge position and it looks like a big Tele Deluxe style scratchplate was on at some point. Little filled screw holes on the front. All the work on the wood has been done beautifully. Everything is filled and sanded to a high standard.”

Cheers!

Clive

Oxfordshire.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 284
    Here you go. 

And here is the folder with the rest of them, as not to clog the thread up with pictures: https://imgur.com/a/h0Z4MYG
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gibbo666gibbo666 Frets: 24
    Thank you, Jack, you're a star!

Clive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    edited July 2020
    Birth year for me! Sadly I was born poor! 

Absolute beauty! 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • glitterjetglitterjet Frets: 69
    Hi, I actually owned this guitar maybe 25 years ago and did most of the work to it, I pretty much know its full history.  Still looks good although it looked better with the Keef style humbucker I installed. lol
    Be careful out there.....
    2reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi, Glitterjet!

What a wonderful coincidence.  But maybe you're a huge rock star who's owned most of the vintage guitars that we all crave after.  Have you anything nice to sell/trade?

Cheers!

Clive.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Here you go. 

And here is the folder with the rest of them, as not to clog the thread up with pictures: https://imgur.com/a/h0Z4MYG
    Fuck me that’s lovely 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    @gibbo666   You should ask glitterjet nicely to send you over all the history of the guitar he/she has, with dates etc. Always cool to have some history travel along with a nice old guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9515
    I’d love to own this - birth year Guitar !!
  • glitterjetglitterjet Frets: 69
    Clive, I was just letting you know.   I have a few guitars I would love to know the history of but there you go.
    Be careful out there.....
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    That is absolutely stunning!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    I’d love to own this - birth year Guitar !!
    Warren, you are not normally a man that needs any encouragement, but here goes. DO IT!!!  =)
    Just an update.
    Since this is proving quite popular on TFB - a forum I'd far rather sell it on - I have increased the asking price on Reverb to £3,400.  The reasoning is that Reverb charges a 3.5% selling fee (and I got an email yesterday telling me the exciting news that that will soon be increased to 5%), and then PayPal charges 2.9%.  Which I make a total of 6.4%, and so if someone does press the button on Reverb to buy it at the advertized price of £3,400 (after which I can't legally stop the deal) I will at least get £3,182 or thereabouts into my account.
    I can't remember what Gumtree charges, but I'll put the price on that site up to £3,400, too, which should cover their and PayPal's charges.
    So - hopefully someone on TFB will snap it up at £3,200.

Cheers!
    Clive.

p.s. the main reason for selling this guitar is to build up a war chest so that I can buy a really, really good Strat, a keeper.  There was a beauty on TFB about a year ago, but I couldn't raise the £7-8,000 asking price, and he wasn't interested in my guitars as partial trades.  So, I need a cash pile ready for the next one!
    Bump

I should perhaps have mentioned that I may be interested in trades, though I am rather conservative (definitely with a small ‘c’) in my tastes.

I’m now 62, and was always a devout Les Paul man.  I only bought my first Strat about 5 years ago.  But now I’d like a ‘keeper’ of a Strat.  Preferably, I guess pre-CBS, though I’d be looking for a ‘players’ grade guitar.  Sound structure (no neck breaks, for example), playability, sound, and feel are the important points.  Superficial marks don’t bother me.  If such a Strat is out there I have cash (within reason) to supplement the Tele for a trade.

My second choice would be a Custom Shop Strat.  I have read many people on this forum and others saying that they are, pound for pound, as good or even better than the originals.  I instinctively prefer three-tone-sunburst and a maple fingerboard, but I’m not absolutely set in my ways.  Given the price difference I would in most cases be expecting the CS Strat + cash.

Of the Strats I’ve tried, I prefer the ‘C’ neck shape, though I might go for a ‘V’ shape.  I don’t think I’d be interested in a ‘U’ shape.

My third choice would be an acoustic.  I adore my 1965 Gibson J-45, and use it for everything.  But I do have a hankering for a nice, preferably aged (i.e. pre-1970), Martin D-28.  Beyond that, I might well be interested in quality acoustic baritones, or top end Martin/Gibson 12-strings.

As I said earlier, I am ‘conservative’ in my tastes, but if anyone would like to enter into discussions about a trade I’m more than happy to entertain their suggestions.

Changed title to indicate trades might be welcome.