Buying an amp from the US

What's Hot
designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
HI, 

I'm potentially going to purchase an amp from the US. I'm a bit of amateur when it comes to the actual basics of amps so wondered what i would need to be able to use it over here in the UK. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it's 110v you just need a good quality step down Transformer.   I have a few 60''s fender amps that i use all the time, with a step down transformer.       Or if it's 110v you cab swap the power transformer for a 240v one.  But that's your choice.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    And you'll need to assume you'll be paying import duty of about 4%, and VAT at 20% on the item AND on the shipping cost.
    And the handling fee.

So whatever the price is, make sure you allow for another 25% or so when deciding whether it's worth the hassle.

Be aware that some makes don't like to make it easy to get spare parts from the grey import market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    personally I would not buy a large item from the US if there is a problem and you need to send it back you can loose a lot of money in shipping costs. As fretmaster pointed out add 25% to the total for taxes and charges. It is rarely worth buying from the US unless you really can buy it from anywhere else and even then expect to pay a premium

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    What's the amp? And is there seriously not an equivalent that you can buy in this country?

Delivery costs will be mental and personally, I would expect it to be broken upon arrival.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    I wouldn't personally.  The power would be a problem, especially if you want to sell it on, then there is the cost on top.  Expect 25-30% for tax and duty when it lands.

Also, if gets damaged in transit, it's a pain in the neck.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Unless it's something you can't get at all in the UK, don't. There are a lot of potential pitfalls as well as costs, and it isn't worth it just to save a bit on the UK price - although Mesa are really trying to stretch that logic...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I saved a lot of money buying my VH4 from a guy in Europe. But I wouldn't bother with an amp from the USA personally.

Bye!

• ColsCols Frets: 6953
    More importantly, if the amp’s coming from the States it may not actually conform to UK safety standards.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Cols said:
    More importantly, if the amp’s coming from the States it may not actually conform to UK safety standards.
    If it's from any large and/or reputable builder it will, but I have indeed seen some US-made pieces of equipment which don't, and although perhaps not 'dangerous', I wouldn't describe as completely safe either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Looks like i might knock this one on the head then. I'll wait for something from the UK to pop up. thanks guys, You've probably saved me a lot of hassle. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    ICBM said:
    Cols said:
    If it's from any large and/or reputable builder it will, but I have indeed seen some US-made pieces of equipment which don't, and although perhaps not 'dangerous', I wouldn't describe as completely safe either.
    I would have to wonder why a manufacturer would go to to the time, effort and expense of CE marking an amp specification never intended to be sold in Europe.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    This recently happened to me accidentally. I bought an EVH 5150 EL34 off eBay advertised as 'as new in box, never used'. It was a good price, but not excessively cheap as to ring alarm bells at the time. What arrived was a brand new in box 120V EVH 5150 EL34 with a USA kettle lead. Granted the advert didn't state it was a 240V/230V model, but you would have expected them to mention a USA spec....

I contemplated getting the transformer swapped over but in the end decided to just explain to the seller what the issue was and return it. He happily obliged and sent a refund, and proceeded to relist the item with the caveat "has a USA lead so needs an adaptor".

I can only think that seller tried the same as you were planning and imported a US spec amp as it was cheaper and didn't realise about the voltage difference; then decided to shift it on eBay rather than send it back to the US.