Acoustic into P.A. support - Behringer AD121 and or TC Bodyrez

JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
Taking my Faith Venus to a band rehearsal - no experience with acoustic sound reinforcement and will be using a rudimentary rehearsal room desk => powered cabs.
Understand Behringer is a SansAmp clone  - Bodyrez appeals as it may give a polished sound to an ok ish piezo in the Faith .
Appreciate thoughts 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    edited July 2020
    TC Bodyrez does make an undersaddle sound better.  I find it makes less difference with a pickup that sounds more natural in the first place like a K&K Pure Mini.

I bought my Bodyrez about a month before Boss released the AD-2 - which has the Boss/Roland "Acoustic Resonance" digital trickery.  My TC hasn't broken yet, but given my experience with the reliability of other TC products, I'd buy the Boss if I was buying now.
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    I own both and use neither live. The Behringer seemed to scoop the upper mids and the TC scoops the mid-mids as far as I remember; instead I use a multi band EQ. I use the TC and a mic when recording and it seems a nice sound, but very trebly. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    danowens said:
    I own both and use neither live. The Behringer seemed to scoop the upper mids and the TC scoops the mid-mids as far as I remember; instead I use a multi band EQ. I use the TC and a mic when recording and it seems a nice sound, but very trebly. 
    when you say multiband eq for live  are you talking about a std eq pedal or graphic eq rack or parametric setup ?
    edited July 2020
    crunchman said:
    TC Bodyrez does make an undersaddle sound better.  I find it makes less difference with a pickup that sounds more natural in the first place like a K&K Pure Mini.

I bought my Bodyrez about a month before Boss released the AD-2 - which has the Boss/Roland "Acoustic Resonance" digital trickery.  My TC hasn't broken yet, but given my experience with the reliability of other TC products, I'd buy the Boss if I was buying now.
    appreciate gold std is an internal mic and probably a Martin or similar  but in absence of both ,  how useful has the bodyrez been in a live setting ?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    edited July 2020
    JMP220478 said:
    crunchman said:

appreciate gold std is an internal mic and probably a Martin or similar  but in absence of both ,  how useful has the bodyrez been in a live setting ?

With a straight undersaddle piezo, very useful.  Makes a noticeable improvement to the sound.

With the guitar with a K&K Pure Mini, the pickup sounds a  lot more natural, so less of a difference.

With the one with a blender pickup, with a goose neck mic to blend with the piezo, you are best off just using the pickup on it's own.
    @crunchman ;  - cheers appreciated ..
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I once had a TC Play Acoustic which has BodyRez. My K&K-equipped guitars sounded different and it certainly changed the tone, but it was difficult to drive and I stopped using it in favour of a Fly Rig Acoustic - which is fab and more my speed. Unless you're playing the Wigmore Hall, I doubt too many people in the audience can tell one from the other. If you're playing in a band context with electric instruments, then totally unnecessary - IMHO. 
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    JMP220478 said:
    danowens said:
    when you say multiband eq for live  are you talking about a std eq pedal or graphic eq rack or parametric setup ?
    The Parametric built into the XR18 mixer we use. 
    @danowens  -  I have access to an xr series mixer , Im going to try this tomorrow with a mates son who is a sound engineer ... was hoping not to rock up with my own mixer but if it works then maybe its the answer .. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    The digital pedals can give a nice sort of 'finished' sound which can sit well in a band mix, but to my ear they don't stand solo or real acoustic scrutiny.
    I spent my dough on a Mesa Rossetta pedal, a very classy analogue unit that is like a quality mixer chanel. It made my Epiphone and under saddle piezo sound huge and full. When used with a quality pickup and guitar it is class unit imho.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Before I got my Helix I used an old Zoom 504II. The 'air' setting made my guitar sound a lot more natural. Then I used a Radial PZ-PRE. I think it's worth considering a Zoom AC2. That is if your guitar doesn't have a built-in preamp?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31366
    Here's my Faith Venus recorded direct from the undersaddle piezo, via a Zoom AC-3 pedal. I'm just noodling around, but you get the idea. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    p90fool said:

Zoom AC-3 pedal.
    Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow have a second hand one of these, if it's of interest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

p90fool said:
    Here's my Faith Venus recorded direct from the undersaddle piezo, via a Zoom AC-3 pedal. I'm just noodling around, but you get the idea. 

Does sound rather good 

working with a sound engineer and whats available in the XR series mixer software atm .

Is tempting - though maybe a better pickup would be  the answer ..   

ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

Zoom AC-3 pedal.
    Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow have a second hand one of these, if it's of interest.
    Cheers for shout and its well priced based on eBay current listings - checked out the ad online - suggest description needs a revisit as its currently up as a Line6 AC-3.

I’ll stick with mixer atm n see how far we can get with it .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    JMP220478 said:

Cheers for shout and its well priced based on eBay current listings - checked out the ad online - suggest description needs a revisit as its currently up as a Line6 AC-3.
    That’s not unusual for Strung Out ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5325
    If you want to throw substantial (in my book) money at the problem, there's the Audio Sprockets ToneDexter gizmo - recent demo/review/promo of it on the Anderton's acoustic videos section.