Films with great soundtracks

What's Hot

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    Yeah like some others hinted at above, most anything with John Cusack or Jack Black has a good soundtrack.

I think The Fog of War has a great soundtrack with the Philip Glass instrumentals.

And like every Wes Anderson movie.  They combine catchy Mark Mothersborough instrumentals with some undeniably great pop music from various periods and genres.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Forbidden Planet- No soundtrack at all, but a 'soundscape' done with whatever tech they had in the 50s. 

I like the Pixar films because they're top quality all round.  Thomas Newman did a lovely score for Wall E- such a varied soundtrack that of course takes centre stage to help convey mood in the first 15 or so mins- especially for youngsters-  because there's no dialogue. Randy Newman does the Monsters films, and of course Toy Story, which always has a nice song thrown in along with the orchestral stuff. 

I like silent films a lot, and with modern restorations they often commission new soundtracks. I have the BFI DVD of the Epic Of Everest, which is the film of the 1925 expedition where Mallory and Irvine lost their lives. It comes with a choice of original soundtrack- which isn't bad- and the new orchestral score done for the restoration, which is superb.

I've got a DVD version of Nosferatu from about 18 years ago which is basically a bloke with a bank of keyboards, and it's very good.

Special screenings of silent films can be real fun, where a pianist (or sometimes an organist) is playing in real time to what you see. It's a very different kind of experience- quite a lot more vivid in some respects.   

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I think I’ve only ever bought two soundtrack albums - O Brother and Iron Man 2 ( which bears little resemblance to the music used in the film). 

I'm slightly embarrassed to say I had the soundtrack album for Saturday Night Fever.  Although thinking about it now, there are some really good tracks on there.

I've also got AC/DC's Who Made Who, which I think is technically the soundtrack of Maximum Overdrive.

I think the only other soundtrack i have (apart from Star Wars many years ago) is Michael Nyman's The Piano.  I really liked the main theme from the film and thought it would be 40 minutes of that, but it isn't.  The rest of the album is rubbish (subjective opinion), as far as I can remember.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    A lot of my favourites have already been mentioned:

Goodfellas
    Easy Rider
    Quadrophenia
    Pulp Fiction

But there’s also:

Singles
    Beavis and Butthead 
    Clerks
    Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Also, not a film, but watching Stranger Things at the moment. It has a really great soundtrack. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3613
    Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Suspiria
    Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    I've noticed that quite a lot of Adam Sandler's films use some quality music.

One that immediately comes to mind is Grown Ups - we like Grown Ups.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    this sort of qualifies... I absolutely love it, so thought it should be mentioned. This was the soundtrack that never was; Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow for the Judge Dredd remake - in the end it wasnt used, but it certainly should have been. So So good.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6THIvyQ5RwtZQm3cYMLwOl

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Redlester said:
    Forbidden Planet- No soundtrack at all, but a 'soundscape' done with whatever tech they had in the 50s. 

I was about to say the first recorded use of electric bass but that’s rubbish, that’s on the soundtrack to The Day the Earth Stood Still. Just listening to bits of it - the mix of traditional and electronic instruments quite amazing for 1951. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2020
    I think the scene in Lost in Translation where he didn't do the deed made the movie, and the choice of music in the lead up to that moment is quite interesting. It also had a great karaoke scene, and the movie ends with The Jesus and Mary Chain's Just Like Honey.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • RomainRomain Frets: 15
    Once upon a time in america - one of my favorite works from Morricone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5Xczethmw
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    No mention yet for 2001: A Space Odyssey? 

I love the sequence where the shuttle is lining up to dock with the space station, accompanied by "The Blue Danube" waltz.

The main theme (Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathrustra) is fantastic, too.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited July 2020
    Freebird said:
    I think the scene in Lost in Translation where he didn't do the deed made the movie, and the choice of music in the lead up to that moment is quite interesting. It also had a great karaoke scene, and the movie ends with The Jesus and Mary Chain's Just Like Honey.

My favourite musical moment in that film is Alone In Kyoto by Air, quite gorgeous.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 584
    Radio On.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Paris Texas.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Highlander
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

And Dusk til Dawn I really liked the music too at the time ( Jimmie Vaughan, ZZ Top, etc) - unfortunately attached to the nonsense that is a Tarantino film. 
    It's a Roberto Rodriguez film ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Jalapeno said:

And Dusk til Dawn I really liked the music too at the time ( Jimmie Vaughan, ZZ Top, etc) - unfortunately attached to the nonsense that is a Tarantino film. 
    It's a Roberto Rodriguez film ;)

Ahh, it is. Although Tarantino wrote the screenplay and acts in it so I’ll forgive myself. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Nothing wrong with Sat Night Fever

Ray - Ray Charles movie

Some good tracks on Dirty Dancin' - apart from the main well known track