NAD Yamaha THR10X - Hurray I have a home amp - but need a power supply

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746
I'm bored of waiting for the spark to actually be available to try and wanted a home amp i could actually have sat on a shelf that the wife wouldn't moan about. 

Like the rest of us who want a desktop amp I have a couple of nice valve amps but just want a plug in and go amp for when i want to have a quick five minute noodle rather than lugging out the big amps, pedalboard etc.

the music shop in Salisbury had one of these sat in their clearance section (well a number of them boxed in the stockroom too) and it was only £120 ! Turns out they are so cheap because they don't have the power supply for them, but they run on batteries and i'm sure i cna find a power supply.....

I like it - sounds huge, plenty loud enough. It doesn't just do the heavier sounds, looks great on the shelf. I totally get it now.

Anyone have any ideas where i can get a PSU for one from?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    You need 15 volts DC at 3.3.amps (but 4,5,6A would be fine) Centre positive. Try CPC the downside might be the DC connector might not fit but you can get adaptors for that.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited July 2020
    As a recent acquirer of one of these, they're great, aren't they? However, that's a helluva good, bargainistic price and did you say the shop still has some at that price and can you share the shop name?

As to the power supply, be careful if buying a used Yamaha power supply as I believe the first run of THR amps had a very noisy power supply that Yamaha acknowledged and offered to change, but I'm not sure how you distinguish.
    @rossyamaha?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Kebabkid said:
    As a recent acquirer of one of these, they're great, aren't they? However, that's a helluva good, bargainistic price and did you say the shop still has some at that price and can you share the shop name?

Yes it was Music Room in Salisbury
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    edited July 2020
    Kebabkid said:

As to the power supply, be careful if buying a used Yamaha power supply as I believe the first run of THR amps had a very noisy power supply that Yamaha offered to change but I'm not sure how you distinguish.
    @rossyamaha?

Should have added..Don't cheap out on the supply! CPC stuff is good and only a £ or two above cheapies. You want a Switch Mode Power Supply.

Dave.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I have repaired a few THR Yamaha amps and the ones I’ve repaired have a different design of DC socket very similar to a Panasonic laptop type

If your amp has that type socket then a normal barrel type won’t be any good to you
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Here's the type I normally encounter ..... it;s s centre pin socket rather than a barrel type like a normal power supply 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Power-Jack-Yamaha-THR5-THR5A-Portable-Guitar-Amplifier-Amp-Socket-Connector/273936442052?hash=item3fc7e262c4:g:gi0AAOxyHQlSDcrm

Yours might be different but check first ... you can buy the right kind but it is about £28 from Anderton's or similar 
    www.2020studios.co.uk