USA Princeton 112 plus conversion

What's Hot
Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1930
I've got USA Princeton 112 plus amplifier that has a 120v input transformer and to use it I have to lug a big heavy step down 240 to 120v transformer along with it. Is there anywhere in the UK that could supply the export 240v input transformer to swap out the 120v transformer so I can just plug it straight into the mains? I presume it's fairly straightforward to just change it and put a 13 amp plug power lead to it. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3139
    tFB Trader
    You need Fender part no. 039357 but I can't see any for sale at the usual suppliers.

Unless you can find one from a broken UK model, then your only option is to have one made for you.

Specs would be:

0-240v Primary

32v-0-32v secondary

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    RiftAmps said:
    You need Fender part no. 039357 but I can't see any for sale at the usual suppliers.

Unless you can find one from a broken UK model, then your only option is to have one made for you.

Specs would be:

0-240v Primary

32v-0-32v secondary

So it is a solid state amp Rift? If so a good search for a meaty toroid should turn something up. I would bet 30-0-30V would be close enough, the tiny drop in power not noticeable and in any case it will almost certainly get 240V +

Dave.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Serious overkill at 160VA I would guess but all I could find quickly.

Dave.

• yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    edited July 2020
    There's a broken Princeton 112 Plus on my local North East FB ads - drop me a line if you want the details.

Hold on, here's the link…

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/108326215855310
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    If that's no good I think I've got the PT from a Fender Performer or Roc Pro - the spec won't be very far away, I'll have a look later if you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1930
    yorkio said:
    There's a broken Princeton 112 Plus on my local North East FB ads - drop me a line if you want the details.

Hold on, here's the link…

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/108326215855310
    Cheers. 
    ICBM said:
    If that's no good I think I've got the PT from a Fender Performer or Roc Pro - the spec won't be very far away, I'll have a look later if you want.
    That would be great if you could ICBM. The amp is in great nick and it would be good to get it sorted. Pretty loud too. Good back up and a bit more robust that my Fender blues junior tube amp that is starting to make noises like the tubes are on the way out. They are very similar in size and weight and quite easy to lug around, unlike my Blues deluxe re-issue.

Ian

Ian

I think that broken Princeton would cost me about £125 to get it to me and no saying the PT transformer would be any good as he doesn't know what the fault is so could be and expensive gamble. I wouldn't think a second hand Princeton 112 plus would be worth £125. I think I bought it second hand in Fort Worth, Texas for $40 in 1999 and for a long while it was my only amp. It one of the Corona built ones and not Mexican like a lot of them were. 

Ian

And here's another one from my local Gumtree, except this time it's thirty quid and he's also willing to break it up for spares for you!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/fender-deluxe-112-plus-guitar-combo/1378753534
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    yorkio said:
    And here's another one from my local Gumtree, except this time it's thirty quid and he's also willing to break it up for spares for you!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/fender-deluxe-112-plus-guitar-combo/1378753534
    Thanks for posting that. However, the only bit I was after is the bit that he says in knackered. As it happens I got an UK PSU to replace the US PSU from @ICBM for £20 and it's now converted from 120v to 230v so I no longer require the big heavy lump step down transformer I used to have to power it on. Consequently I never used it very much. All my other amps except a Marshall acoustic amp are valves so with this one I can just plug it in and play straight away without warming it up. For a SS amp it sounds great. 

Ian

Glad to hear there was a happy (and cheap!) ending.