Router bit size explanation??

I was going to order a couple of router bits from Toolstation, but I haven't bought any before and the terminology is a bit confusing for dunces like me.

so ....Router Bit Straight Imperial 1/4" : 1/8 x 1/2"

the first 1/4" is presumably the part that goes into the router, what are the other measurements?

Also, what router bit do you use for a truss rod channel? I seem to have lost my one somewhere.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I’d suggest it’s got a 1/4” shaft that as you say goes into the router then the cutting diameter is 1/8” and the length or indeed depth of the Two blades is 1/2”
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I say that reading it again 1/2” length bits only have a single cutting blade in this instance but it would still cut a 1/8” diameter hole
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    If you’re going to order bits then why not buy better quality than Toolstation can supply?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Roland said:
    If you’re going to order bits then why not buy better quality than Toolstation can supply?
    Sometimes I have, but other times I've grabbed something quick for a rout or two. I am literally right next to toolstation tomorrow. Watching the cash a bit at the moment ...