Poorly Bogner

What's Hot
spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
Urgh, 20th Ecstasy cut out during practice last night...here’s hoping it’s just one of the 6L6s:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That looks suspicious. One tube completely burnt out and the others fine .... hopefully it is just the power tube, but you might want to monitor the biases for each socket a lot longer post retubing.

Bye!

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Thanks - yeah, it’s going to a tech!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2132
    Every Bogner I’ve owned has been unreliable. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    That *should* be just the valve, since if it was a bias problem it would have taken out the other one on the same side as well... assuming it was running at full power and/or it’s not the inner pair which remains on at half.

But it may not be that straightforward - with such a severe valve short it could have burned out a resistor or damaged the valve socket, so I would be wary about just changing the valve(s) and the fuse - I would want a full internal check and to power it up while monitoring what’s going on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Wouldn't hurt to get the duster out too!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nerine- I've had the amp for 10 years and it’s never had a fault.

I agree. It’s going to Dickinson amps tomorrow!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Nerine said:
    Every Bogner I’ve owned has been unreliable. 
    I haven’t heard that before - I thought they had a good rep for being reliable.  

Is that certain models or the way you’re pushing them?
    My mojado has done hundreds or gigs and rehearsals and never skipped an beat.    Added a shiva a fee weeks ago that I’m hoping to get years of gigs out of.    Aside from the usual maintenance and careful handling any valve amp needs is there anything g else to be aware of?
    Yeah, Nerine has obviously been unlucky!
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 339
    spirit7 said:
    Yeah, Nerine has obviously been unlucky!
    This...i have had multiple bogner amps, gigged them hard and a lot and zero issues
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:

Aside from the usual maintenance and careful handling any valve amp needs is there anything g else to be aware of?
    Some of the models operate the valves at unusually high voltages, which can make them prone to failing - both because the high voltage inherently does that, and because if you bias them to 'typical' idle currents then they will be running hotter than in amps with lower voltages.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    ICBM said:
    John_P said:

Aside from the usual maintenance and careful handling any valve amp needs is there anything g else to be aware of?
    Some of the models operate the valves at unusually high voltages, which can make them prone to failing - both because the high voltage inherently does that, and because if you bias them to 'typical' idle currents then they will be running hotter than in amps with lower voltages.
    ^ This in spades - they are fussy on output valves due to high Plate Voltages.

You need someone who really knows how these amps work to get them biased correctly.
  • 19831983 Frets: 21
    That 3rd valve looks gone to me, but should be an easy fix! 

does it cut out on the half power mode too? might be a way to trouble shoot the fault as that mode cuts out 2 of the power valves out of the circuit.

+1 vote on reliability tho, I've had a Bogner close to 10 years now and its going strong. Love these amps.

Good luck! 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2132
    To clarify, I had two Shivas, a Barcelona, a Goldfinger 45 and an Ecstasy 101b 

The Shiva head I did gig hard for years but eventually the OT went and it wasn’t the same afterwards after having it replaced. It was also notoriously difficult for the tech to get hold of a replacement from Bogner. 

The Goldfinger, I got it home and the presence pot just failed internally. Brand new. The chassis was also a thin, weedy folded bit of steel or aluminium. No ends on it. Not a 3 sided box type thing. The pot was just disintegrated for some reason. 

The Shiva combo overheated a lot I.e. the front panel was too hot to actually touch and just didn’t sound right. Again brand new. 

The Ecstasy kept lunching preamp valves. Again brand new. 

The Barcelona blew the speaker or had a weird cabinet rattle from the get go. Couldn’t get rid of it. Again brand new. 

I really like Bogners, but Friedmans are where it’s at for me for the modded Marshall tone. I’ve had issues with all 5 Bogners I’ve had without exception. 
    Well, it is with the mighty Jon Dickinson @ Dickinson amps.  Will let you all know what happens!
    Update: 3 power amp tubes blown, taking some resistors with them.  It’s on the mend, with Tung-Sol 6L6s instead of JJs!
    edited July 2020
    spirit7 said:
    Update: 3 power amp tubes blown, taking some resistors with them.  It’s on the mend, with Tung-Sol 6L6s instead of JJs!
    Make sure the Tung-Sols are Man enough for the High Plate Voltages otherwise they'll get eaten alive...

Charlie at Bogner actually recommended the Ruby Tubes brand for my Shiva over anything else and they did last longer than anything else "premium" I'd had in there.
    welshboyo said:
    spirit7 said:
    Make sure the Tung-Sols are Man enough for the High Plate Voltages otherwise they'll get eaten alive...
    I wouldn't do that. Tung-Sols are not good with high voltages, whereas JJs (usually) are.

Thanks all - I've asked him to check.  JJs are so unreliable though!
    spirit7 said:
    They're the most reliable of modern 6L6s in my experience. I know that may not be saying much...

spirit7 said:
    Since When? 

I’ve never had issues with JJ’s in fairness - a lot depends on where you buy them - our own Karltone testing process seems pretty good and has never caused me issues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom