Your favourite guitar work from someone hired as guitar player for an album?

What's Hot

Comments

• yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    I was thinking Fripp, not someone who interests me in terms of his own projects but with Bowie and David Sylvian some of my favourite sounds. 

His guitar on The Roches' Hammond Song is one of my favourite things ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited July 2020
    Eddie Van Halen did an alright job of his 40-odd seconds on Michael Jackson's Thriller album...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    * Marc Ribot on various Tom Waits things, and with John Zorn (Electric Masada, Bar Kokhba, etc).
    * Joe Gore, with Waits. He only plays on a few tracks on Bone Machine, but his parts are among the best on the album.
    * Carlos Alomar and Earl Slick with Bowie.
    *John McLaughlin with Miles Davis

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Always enjoyed the tasteful & neat playing of Chalmers “Spanky” Alford on Al Greens Lay It Down album (from 2008)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Willy DeVille, his album 'Miracle' features Mark Knopfler (guitar and producer), Chet Atkins (guitar) and Guy Fletcher ( keyboards).

More details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_(Willy_DeVille_album)

Phil Lynott
    , his song 'King's Call' features Mark Knopfler on guitar.

Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F5lmCQX32g
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Id have to go with Allan Holdsworths tracks on Level42's "Guaranteed" Album

Standout's are

A kinder eye

And If you were mine

I also think this albums has some of holdsworth best sounding guitar on record,the tone on the intro and outro solo's of kinder eye is perfect.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    cm01 said:
    Robert Quine on Lloyd Cole’s ‘X’ ... lovely shimmering tones and some beautiful playing ...
    Pretty much what I came on to say. Robert Quine was also great with Lou Reed, even if he did get buried in the mix.

Also this, which I'm 99 percent certain is Nic Jones on guitar:

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Robert Quine dominates Lou Reed’s The Blue Mask album, and the solo on `Waves of Fear is one of the greatest of all time. 

Vai is great on PiL’s Album, but he’s mainly doing the solos/ stunt guitar stuff. A lot of the rhythm parts are another player. Interstingly, Bill Laswell and Lyndon were in talks to get Vai to join full time for the tour but didn’t happen. 

Vini Reilly on VIva Hate is a fabulous call. Reilly actually spoke to Morrissey about a follow up, but Mozz ended up ditching both Vini and producer Stephen Street after a while. Result? Career stall. 

Jimmy Page’s playing on Roy Harper’s Jugula album is fabulous. 

If he’s not playing on it, then Nile Rogers’ spirit and influence is all over the INXS track ‘Original SIn’ which he produced. He effectively put the rocket boosters on their career with that one riff and beat. 

Bryan Ferry’s solo records are full of name players. Gilmour’s a famous example: Some lovely playing on the ‘Boys and Girls’ album and ‘Bete Noir’. On ‘Bete Noir’ Ferry famously took a Smiths B side (Money Changes Everything), gave it lyrics and made “The Right Stuff” with Johnny Marr. What a track! Yers later Johnny inspired and played on a track called “Soldier of Fortune” off Ferry’s “Avonmore” album. Another killer song. 

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    First thought was Johnny Marr on The The's 'Mind Bomb'...but his involvement ended up going a little deeper than a one album hired gun B)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9662
    Clapton on The Beatles' While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    A short cameo, but Mick Ronson's slide guitar solo on The Wildhearts My Baby Is A Headfu@k is a favourite. One of his last recordings too, I believe.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Redlester said:
    Bryan Ferry’s solo records are full of name players. Gilmour’s a famous example: Some lovely playing on the ‘Boys and Girls’ album and ‘Bete Noir’. On ‘Bete Noir’ Ferry famously took a Smiths B side (Money Changes Everything), gave it lyrics and made “The Right Stuff” with Johnny Marr. What a track! Yers later Johnny inspired and played on a track called “Soldier of Fortune” off Ferry’s “Avonmore” album. Another killer song. 

I believe Robin Trower's on a couple of Bryan Ferry albums too?  I've never heard them but I did see a clip of him playing with Ferry on some US talk show.
    @Philly_Q Robin Trower is on at least a couple. He actually co-produced Mamouna but I think he’s only playing on one or two tracks. 

Honestly, when it comes to studio albums Bryan Ferry believes in a big squad and lots of rotation. If he was a football manager he’d be a chairman’s worst nightmare. Thankfully music is different and he’s made some great records.  

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    My first thought when I read the OP was Robert Quine on Lloyd Cole's first solo album.. I can see I'm not the only one. Great record.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• LightB4soundLightB4sound Frets: 161
    Guthrie on Steven Wilson's hand cannot erase
    RIchard Thompson on a few tracks on NIck Drake’s “Five Leaves Left” and ‘Bryter Later”. Plays some lovely fills. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Duane Allman on Boz Scaggs 2nd solo LP. (One of my fave LPs of all time)
    Waddy Watchel on Bryan Ferry’s The Bride Stripped Bare
    Tim Renwick on Al Stewart’s Modern Times
    Jimmy Page on Al Stewart’s Love Chronicles
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited July 2020
    EC on Roger Waters’s The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Mark Knopfler of Joan Armatrading’s The Shouting Stage.   
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I Love Gary. Moore’s work on Greg Lakes debut solo album, also features Steve Lukather.

Speaking of Luke, I also love his work on The Tubes, Completion Backward Principle.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Robbed Ford on Cool Cat Blues by Georgie Fame.

I think this track features the definitive Dumble Overdrive Special tone. Steve Gadds on it as well. 
    https://youtu.be/7ZuUb32dmuY