Does Poplar/Tulipwood need grain filling?

I've been faffing around with Google for a while and not come up with an answer thus far.

Anyone??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    not grainfilling, but a good sealer coat is needed as it can be pretty fuzzy
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    edited July 2020
    WezV said:
    not grainfilling, but a good sealer coat is needed as it can be pretty fuzzy
    OK, ta! What would you use for that?
    what finish are you planning.   To be honest , its not so much which type to use, just make sure you base coats are perfect before applying any colour or clear
    Wait, was this figured poplar?

Some of the poplar burls will need filler in some areas of figure.. plain poplar is quite close grained though so shouldn't need grainfiller.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    WezV said:
    Wait, was this figured poplar?

Some of the poplar burls will need filler in some areas of figure.. plain poplar is quite close grained though so shouldn't need grainfiller.
    No not figured, just a plain old hunk of wood (ordered but not arrived yet).

I'm planning to hand paint a design on it - maybe acrylic paints - then try for some kind of glossy finish over the top.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    For me, it's a question of “do I want to see the grain in the paint?” I do, so have never grain filled, for painting an acrylic design I would seal it first, probably a couple of coats of lacquer, do the design and seal it again with the same lacquer...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• StephenBStephenB Frets: 75
    I'm working on a poplar body at the moment, I think a sealing coat is a good idea as the paint seems to sink into it. I'm relatively new to all this though so this is more of a personal observation. Hope it helps!