Critique my band practice

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7286
edited July 2020 in Live
Played about with recording band practice last night. There's a few performance wobbles with it only being 2nd session back after a 4 month break but I reckon it turned out pretty well.

With that said I want to get these recordings sounding even better so please feel free to offer me thoughts on recording, performance, balance, tone choice and whatever else you fancy.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Link?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7286
    Haha what a fail. Will uodate once kids have finished being mental.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Link?
    Updated!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Not really my style of music, but the performance and recording are both very good considering that it's a recorded rehearsal. Maybe a little "dry" sounding, but other than that, good job!
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Agree with above. Very good already for a recorded rehearsal.

How did you record? 1 mic in room? Multi mic into DAW? What processing have you already done?
  • I listened to it all the way through. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2399
    Guitars sound great, and the mix I'd say is good overall - although the bass sounds a bit weedy to me?

How did you record it, out of interest?
    Thanks for the feedback, we mic up rehearsals anyway so we can use IEMs and for that I ran each signal through my soundcard then back into the behringer air (which can record but only as a stereo mix). This means I get individual tracks and everyone cans till tweak their own IEM mix.

So for this we had the following channels:

kick D112
    kick superlux boundary mic inside drum
    2x behringer SM57 clones overheads
    "kam" no model drum mic on the snare
    superlux e609 clones on both guitars
    genuine SM57 on the vocals
    bass was taken from the DI out of a mark bass mini-head

It has fairly minimal processing, low and high pass filters and the guitars have a tilt to bring up the mids and highs. The kick drum has a bit of a low boost with a corresponding cut in the bass. All the drums are sent to a bus compressor (JST bus glue) and the snare and vocals are sent to reverb.

I did the mix in about 30 mins just looping a couple of representative sections so could def be polished a bit more, the solos could be brought up with automation for example. 

I agree the bass is prob the weakest point, Im kind of tempted next time to put the bass straight in to the interface and get a DI then put it back out through the amp then take the DI to the PA. That was I can use parallax on the bass and its basically impossible to make that plugin sound bad 

:)

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ