tFB Trader
    Whole or parted out? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whole.

'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    lysander said:
    My first thought was that it looked like a cheap chinese knockoff - so clearly I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Fender  =)
    Honestly I thought the same. Very specific spec - big headstock but not bullet truss rod, and some of the jankiest-looking tort I've seen 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    lysander said:
    My first thought was that it looked like a cheap chinese knockoff - so clearly I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Fender  =)
    Honestly I thought the same. Very specific spec - big headstock but not bullet truss rod, and some of the jankiest-looking tort I've seen 
    The Wayne Kramer strat I had was supposedly based on a 69, big headstock but no bullet, 4-bolt plate.

FWIW I think this is real, just because there's literally nothing about it that seems off. We just have a hard time imagining speccing up that feature set.

There's another thread on here about Fender producing insufficient vintage-radius models, where I pointed out more or less that the majority of guitarists aren't cork-sniffers like us. I think the reason this raises alarm bells is it's a non-relic, it's based on a not very desirable year and its appointments are closer to "random 80s hot-rod" than they are to "pre-CBS golden age".

Accordingly it is probably a replica of someone's first guitar that they stupidly traded for some pointy Washburn or similar back in the 80s. Or maybe it's just some dude whose tastes are wildly misaligned with what gear geeks consider classic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    The question is... what sale value would you give it?
    I reckon less than £2k. I imagine that the number of people interested in that particular spec of guitar would not be huge. Possibly only one bloke in fact!  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • @fretfinder Does he look a little like you? ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited July 2020
    Tex Mexico said:

FWIW I think this is real, just because there's literally nothing about it that seems off. We just have a hard time imagining speccing up that feature set.

There's another thread on here about Fender producing insufficient vintage-radius models, where I pointed out more or less that the majority of guitarists aren't cork-sniffers like us. I think the reason this raises alarm bells is it's a non-relic, it's based on a not very desirable year and its appointments are closer to "random 80s hot-rod" than they are to "pre-CBS golden age".

Accordingly it is probably a replica of someone's first guitar that they stupidly traded for some pointy Washburn or similar back in the 80s. Or maybe it's just some dude whose tastes are wildly misaligned with what gear geeks consider classic.
    I don't see anything odd about the spec at all - it's not quite what I would choose, but there are some things about it that I would.

The best Strat I've ever played was a '69.
    I prefer the big headstock.
    I like a hotter bridge pickup (although not that one).
    I dislike the Strat volume control position and prefer a single tone control (but I would want a proper pickguard with no spare hole).
    I wouldn't want a coil split but I do like to have the bridge and neck together option.
    I dislike relics.

OK, I could get pretty much that if I bought a Mexican 70s reissue and modded it... but if I was going to go to the expense of ordering a special CS Strat, why would I want yet another boring relic 'classic' Strat? You can easily find those second hand for half the price.

... and anyway, I'm of an age where a random 80s hot-rod is much closer to my ideal guitar than a pre-CBS Strat is :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    edited July 2020
    As the eternal pessimist, I thinks its a fake . . . I have just three reasons for this assumption . . .

1. One of the screw heads on the neck plate looks slightly worn so the neck may have been off once or twice . . . Its not a road worn or "aged" guitar so why would the screw look "worn"  . . 
    2. The spec sheet looks like one of my shitty spreadsheets  . .  
    3. The printing on the previously mentioned spec sheet looks very much like one of my shitty spreadsheets in that some of the text isn't fully printed . . .   

That's the one that did it . . . . Obviously the work of an amateur . . . 

I'd also like to point out that I'm addicted to Miss Marple and Poirot :-)  

If it helps, I think the Butler did it ! ! !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Geezer Butler?
  • looks real to me - as pointed out here why would someone fake such an unusual  guitar. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    maw4neu said:
    As the eternal pessimist, I thinks its a fake . . . I have just three reasons for this assumption . . .

1. One of the screw heads on the neck plate looks slightly worn so the neck may have been off once or twice . . . Its not a road worn or "aged" guitar so why would the screw look "worn"  . . 
    2. The spec sheet looks like one of my shitty spreadsheets  . .  
    3. The printing on the previously mentioned spec sheet looks very much like one of my shitty spreadsheets in that some of the text isn't fully printed . . .   

That's the one that did it . . . . Obviously the work of an amateur . . . 

I'd also like to point out that I'm addicted to Miss Marple and Poirot :-)  

If it helps, I think the Butler did it ! ! !
    1) the same reason it looks worn on an aged guitar.  They get worn through normal use, the fake wear on other models is replicating normal use.

2+3) shitty spreadsheets are common throughout all levels of most businesses
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    @fretfinder Does he look a little like you? ;)
    No, not in the slightest, I can’t stand big headstock Strats. I thought it might be you!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited July 2020
    lysander said:
    My first thought was that it looked like a cheap chinese knockoff - so clearly I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Fender 
    Most Custom Shop Strats with big headstocks don't have the bullet truss rod, they're based on the 1966 to 1970 spec - they're usually designated as 1969 Strats with the 1969 U profile neck.

I had to base mine on 1971 spec because I wanted the bullet truss rod.

I'm sure this guitar isn't fake but I really dislike the colour, which goes very badly with the tortoise scratchplate.