SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Danplifier Jimmini - upcycled Marshall Lead 12 and mini 1 watt head

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
edited October 2020 in Amps £ tFB Trader
Picked up a tatty lead 12 combo a while ago, just got round to converting it. 

Innards have been gutted and replaced with an improved version of the Marshall Class 5 all-valve amp. 2x 12ax7 preamp valves, 1x 6v6 output. TMB tone controls, gain and master volume. 

I've also added an excellent zero-loss FX loop with bypass.

Not high gain, just lots of the vintage Marshall crunch and attack, works very well with a booster in front to push it a little. 

10" Celestion VTJR 50 watt speaker complements the tone very nicely. 

There is a small amount of yellow spray on the tolex at the bottom of the amp, it's how it was when I bought it. Tolex is understandably tatty in a few places too. Adds to the character and upcycled nature though.

Too many amps in my workshop so a bargainous £350 or nearest offer, trades also welcome. 

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    That’s a very neat conversion. Did you keep the original PCB?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d have been all over this if it was a hand wired version of the lead 12 circuit 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That’s a very neat conversion. Did you keep the original PCB?
    sadly not, somebody had butchered it beyond recognition. 
    tFB Trader
    I’d have been all over this if it was a hand wired version of the lead 12 circuit 
    Isn't that solid state though?

I’d have been all over this if it was a hand wired version of the lead 12 circuit 
    What could possibly be the advantage of that? You could easily do it if you wanted to - it's a simple IC and discrete transistor circuit - but the IC contains more individual components than the rest of the preamp put together, so it would still not be "hand wired" even if it made the slightest difference to the sound, which it wouldn't.

4114Effects said:

sadly not, somebody had butchered it beyond recognition. 
    :(

Damn, I was looking for ideas to improve my dead TSL100 combo :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17554
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    What could possibly be the advantage of that? You could easily do it if you wanted to - it's a simple IC and discrete transistor circuit - but the IC contains more individual components than the rest of the preamp put together, so it would still not be "hand wired" even if it made the slightest difference to the sound, which it wouldn't.

Because it's hand wired man

Everyone knows handwired is where you get the tones.

I'm going to build a handwired SHARC for my Helix.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    Very nice, I did something similar with a Park G10 combo which now has an AX84 P1 inside but my fascia plates are nowhere near as elegant.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885

Too many amps in my workshop so a bargainous £350 or nearest offer, trades also welcome. 

Sorely tempted but I'm a Fender/Vox man at heart, don't suppose you have anything Vox flavoured in that overflowing workshop? 
    tFB Trader

Sorely tempted but I'm a Fender/Vox man at heart, don't suppose you have anything Vox flavoured in that overflowing workshop? 
    Planning a stripped down AC4, sans tremelo with 10" speaker as my next build, have all the parts in stock ready to go. Can be head or combo :-)
  • I’d have been all over this if it was a hand wired version of the lead 12 circuit 
    Isn't that solid state though?

I meant a hand wired valve conversion

I meant a hand wired valve conversion
    It wouldn’t work - at least not as an exact copy. The Lead 12 only has two IC gain stages, which isn’t enough to give Marshall levels of overdrive if you replaced them with valves.

You could build a mini 2203 circuit in one though... I’ve wondered about doing that to one of the heads, but it’s a huge amount of work.

This one will be in the same ballpark though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Bump, any offers on this little beast? 
    tFB Trader
    Here's a lovely little one I've just finished. Will be putting on ebay to take advantage of the £1 fees, but thought I'd list it here too.

It's an all valve 1 watt Marshall type head. Very diminutive, fits in the palm of your hand. 

2x 12ax7 preamps, one 12au7 output valve for 1watt max power. Ideal for rocking that Marshall crunch at bedroom-ish levels. 

Simple controls - Volume and Tone make it a fun plug and play head. 

Finished in black paisely fabric with custom laser-etched brushed gold control panels. 

£300 or trades for this unique little thing?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Bump
    tFB Trader
    Bump, still here :-)
    tFB Trader
    Bump, still here. :-)