Wanted - Your Explorer Thoughts

What's Hot
RebarRebar Frets: 134

Hi,

I’m starting to GAS for an explorer and have begun to look around for information on them before I decide (at some point in the future) on making a purchase. I really like the look of the korina models although I wouldn’t rule out others where the wood grain can be seen (e.g. flamed tops, etc). Plain painted tops are out.

I know that Gibson is the obvious choice, but what other recommendations do forum members have? I have had several Tokai LPs and a strat which are great, so their EX105 is a possibility. Hamers (if they can be found) have beautiful flamed tops too. But what other manufacturers or builders can people recommend? Are there any UK builders who have made great replicas? What are the preferred specs, etc?

At this stage, I have no firm ideas on specs or prices. I’m just gathering my thoughts. So, if anyone can point me in the direction of useful info and guidance, I’d be very grateful.

Cheers Guys.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Take a look at Edwards, they've done flame tops and natural finishes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    had a korina epiphone for years, loved the sound really grunty humbuckers, and they are surprisingly ergonomic guitars, lovely axe it was, really well made too, can't imagine a gibbo would be much of a step up but then I've never played a gibbo explorer
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    edited July 2020
    Was it this that sparked your GAS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzla5UqL25U

Tokai prices seem to have rocketed recently. Not much between their copy and a Gibson.
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    @oh_pollo I had the GAS before this one came out. I really enjoyed it and the other one on the Flying V, but I don't think I'll be stretching to tens of thousands on anything vintage (although I wish I could!). Five Watt World is one of the best channels on YouTube simply because they're not trying to sell me stuff. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Dean Z if you can stand the headstock - personally I love it, and I don't like the original Explorer one, but I know it's very Marmite.

They do both plainer wood and flame top (or veneer, I think) models, both cheap and expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26963
    I love an Explorer, but bear in mind they're heavy, they're a pain to play sitting down, and the case is HUGE. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

My only suggestion would be - don't get a "Clapton cut" Explorer with a sawn-off body. 

I had a Bacchus one which looked really nice, but I hated it.  The balance was all wrong, it felt like it weighed a ton although it can't have been much heavier than a slightly portly SG.  I sold it almost immediately.

Bacchus Korina Explorer with Clapton Cut  My Les Paul Forum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    I love an Explorer, but bear in mind they're heavy, they're a pain to play sitting down, and the case is HUGE. 
    I don't agree about the first two. They're not always heavy - in fact I would say slightly lighter than a Les Paul, on average - and I find them comfortable to play sitting down.

But the case is certainly like carrying a decorator's table, and if it's even slightly windy it easily becomes a sail... with a risk of a wrist injury if it tries to get away from you.

You can get form-fit gig bags for them - which make it amusingly obvious what type of guitar you've got :)https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_explorer.htm (Won't fit a Dean, though.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Shackleton for me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If you want a nice top have a look for the explorer pro model they did - slightly reduced body size as well. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26963
    ICBM said:
    I don't agree about the first two. They're not always heavy - in fact I would say slightly lighter than a Les Paul, on average - and I find them comfortable to play sitting down.

But the case is certainly like carrying a decorator's table, and if it's even slightly windy it easily becomes a sail... with a risk of a wrist injury if it tries to get away from you.

You can get form-fit gig bags for them - which make it amusingly obvious what type of guitar you've got :)https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag1_explorer.htm (Won't fit a Dean, though.)
    Les Pauls are heavy too! :P 

As for sitting down, obviously it depends where your sitting. If you’re on a stool they actually balance really nicely, but if you’re on anything with arms the pointy bit gets in the way.

I would LOVE to have one again but as a home player these days it ain’t happening. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I've always fancied an Explorer and a Flying V.

I would consider a Hamer Explorer, but they're not so cheap; otherwise it's Gibson for me.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

I think it's one of the few guitars Gibson haven't really bolloxed up over the years with weird finishes or robot tuners or ugly scratchplates (I am including the E2 in my thoughts, it looks fine).

Now someone will come up with some hideous misguided limited edition to prove me wrong.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Do Ibanez still do the Dstroyer model? Guitar of choice for Phil Collen among others at one time, I seem to recall. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    John_P said:
    If you want a nice top have a look for the explorer pro model they did - slightly reduced body size as well. 
    They were lovely! I think they were sold under the X-plorer moniker though, might help with search alerts etc.

After seeing the one in the classifieds the other day I’d be hitting up @GSPBasses for a korina model, his one was an absolute beaut!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4168
    *cough* Jackson Kelly *cough* :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited July 2020
    How about the Chapman Ghost Fret?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    John_P said:
    They were lovely! I think they were sold under the X-plorer moniker though, might help with search alerts etc.

After seeing the one in the classifieds the other day I’d be hitting up @GSPBasses for a korina model, his one was an absolute beaut!
    That was a beauty and if I had space I would have snapped that up, nothing looks cooler than an explorer  but after having the pleasure of carrying one in a hard case for nearly 3 miles in a wind I would make you aware that the case is the size of San Marino and is about the weight of a small semi detached house 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    In the 80's I had a Jaydee Explorer and a Datsun 280ZX.  The case fit only becasue there were no back seats in the car, but when I upgraded to a 2.8i Capri [not a great upgrade tbh], it wouldn't fit and so I traded it for a used Hamer Sunburst (which I still have).

Moving them in a case isn't good at all.  The only thing that is worse is my Gibson Thunderbird, but since I have an SUV now, I don't worry.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom