Should I get an Axe FX III or an amp-switcher and loadbox+IR loader combo?

What's Hot
Backstory. Twatty backstory, but backstory all the same.

I've owned the Kemper 3 times. I've owned the Axe FX II twice.

I've owned several Helices, and still own one. I'm very happy with it. It'll never replace my valve amps, but I use it a lot live for effects (fat chance of that for the rest of the year though!) and I use it a fair amount at home for recording.

Valve amps-wise, I've got an Orange Rockerverb MKIII 100-watt, Diezel D-Moll, Diezel VH4, and VHT Sig:X. 

I've got a loadbox that @randomhandclaps made for me a few years back. It's lovely but doesn't have IR loading built into it or anything like that. So I don't use it as much as I'd like. I like to monitor in real-time and use lots of plugins in the DAW, so I tend to run my buffers reasonably high... so... no monitoring through an IR plugin. Could certainly use the Helix for it though.

Suffice to say - got a bit of money coming up. Wondering if I should give the Axe III a spin, or if I should just get one of these new sexy loadboxes with impulse responses built in, plus an amp switcher so I can flick between all 4 amps at the touch of a button.

When I had the Axe II, I spent a lot of time tweaking parameters all the time, and I was never quite satisfied with the delays. But I hear they've addressed both of those things with the Axe III and that it's much more instant gratification these days.

I was gonna get a Kemper Stage tail end of last year, but my interest in that has waned a little bit. Can't explain why really, but the constant quality issues might have something to do with it.

Thoughts?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Axe FX prices in the UK are so ridiculous you can genuinely get a Kemper + an Ox Box + switcher for the same dough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Axe FX prices in the UK are so ridiculous you can genuinely get a Kemper + an Ox Box + switcher for the same dough. 
    Axe III is about £2300 from g66.eu, so yeah I know what you mean.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303

Suffice to say - got a bit of money coming up.

Thoughts?
    Pay down the mortgage a bit?  </oldmistersensible>

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:

Thoughts?

Noooooooo!!! 

Bye!

• kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited July 2020
    An Amp with a Load box and IR loader sounds better than any modeller I’ve used.

For me in the end it was a no brainier. I only ever used one sometimes 2 amps on any modeller. So they were always overkill for my needs. So I took a gamble on the Revv G20.

It just sounds and feels better. I don’t feel like I’m fighting it or tweaking the whole time. It just sounds right. A big part of that I’m sure is down to the Two Notes IR’s. They are excellent.

Ive been through various Fractal products, Kempers and Helix. There is always something missing in the mids with them, that magic element that a valve amp has. I don’t feel like I’m missing that any more.

I run my Revv with the Helix (For effects only) so I can still get all my stereo effects etc. 

There is something to be said for keeping the front end of the chain analogue and playing through valves, and utilising the advantages of digital at the back end with IR’s / effects etc. It’s utilising the best parts of both worlds to get the ultimate result.

• Why not just use your Helix as an IR loader with your existing load box? Or if you want to experiment with better load boxes you could replace your existing load box with a captor or Suhr RL (non-IR versions)?

I have a few load boxes so used to run a Helix with different amps in the Helix loops. A different approach to amp switch I guess. 
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17579
    tFB Trader
    Amp switcher.

That actually makes your life better and improves your workflow.

If you get the Axe FX you will just waste a load of time farting about with it and then sell it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not just use your Helix as an IR loader with your existing load box? Or if you want to experiment with better load boxes you could replace your existing load box with a captor or Suhr RL (non-IR versions)?

I have a few load boxes so used to run a Helix with different amps in the Helix loops. A different approach to amp switch I guess. 
    What I'm thinking is:
    One of these jobbies: https://www.khe-audioelectronics.com/
    Plus a CaptorX or Suhr IR.

That would allow me to switch all four amps to either a loadbox with IR's built in, or a real cab.

Bye!

What I'm thinking is:
    One of these jobbies: https://www.khe-audioelectronics.com/
    Plus a CaptorX or Suhr IR.

That would allow me to switch all four amps to either a loadbox with IR's built in, or a real cab.
    That looks pretty useful. Probably better than messing around with the AxeFx again if you've had one before and sold it. 
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited July 2020
    I've got the Axe FX III and the Kemper power rack.

The Axe FX III gets 3 times the use of the Kemper at least.

I'm actually considering selling the Kemper, I just think I'm more of an Axe FX type of guy.
    The Kemper's UI is not my cup of tea.
  • octatonic said:
    I've got the Axe FX II and the Kemper power rack.

I'm actually considering selling the Kemper, I just think I'm more of an Axe FX type of guy.
    huh... perhaps I could buy my 2nd modeler from you!

Bye!

• Amp switcher.

That actually makes your life better and improves your workflow.

If you get the Axe FX you will just waste a load of time farting about with it and then sell it.
    This captures 70% of my feelings on the matter.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited July 2020
    octatonic said:
    I've got the Axe FX II and the Kemper power rack.

huh... perhaps I could buy my 2nd modeler from you!
    Perhaps- it is the most expensive config though- power rack plus foot switch and I want to sell them as a system.
    I think it retails at £2200, so you are up at Axe FX III money there.
    If you are interested the grab me on FB or PM.

IMHO The AFX is a better unit, I don't mess about endlessly like some people seem to, the UI is excellent, Axe Edit is brilliant and they have the best looper from any modeller.

The Kemper feels a tad unfinished in comparison.
    Yes, the modelling the the Kemper is slightly better but I prefer the AFX all day long for what I do.

• Toe_KneeToe_Knee Frets: 47
    Backstory. Twatty backstory, but backstory all the same.

I've owned the Kemper 3 times. I've owned the Axe FX II twice.

I've owned several Helices, and still own one. I'm very happy with it. It'll never replace my valve amps, but I use it a lot live for effects (fat chance of that for the rest of the year though!) and I use it a fair amount at home for recording.

Valve amps-wise, I've got an Orange Rockerverb MKIII 100-watt, Diezel D-Moll, Diezel VH4, and VHT Sig:X. 

I've got a loadbox that @randomhandclaps made for me a few years back. It's lovely but doesn't have IR loading built into it or anything like that. So I don't use it as much as I'd like. I like to monitor in real-time and use lots of plugins in the DAW, so I tend to run my buffers reasonably high... so... no monitoring through an IR plugin. Could certainly use the Helix for it though.

Suffice to say - got a bit of money coming up. Wondering if I should give the Axe III a spin, or if I should just get one of these new sexy loadboxes with impulse responses built in, plus an amp switcher so I can flick between all 4 amps at the touch of a button.

When I had the Axe II, I spent a lot of time tweaking parameters all the time, and I was never quite satisfied with the delays. But I hear they've addressed both of those things with the Axe III and that it's much more instant gratification these days.

I was gonna get a Kemper Stage tail end of last year, but my interest in that has waned a little bit. Can't explain why really, but the constant quality issues might have something to do with it.

Thoughts?
    How about using something like the amt pangaea or nux ir loader pedal with your existing load? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    hywelg said:

Thoughts?

As boring as this is... Depending on how much the money coming up is - this might be a really wise choice.

But then again I would really like to try an Axe3 as well! :D 
  • Ehhh it's not a lot. About £1000-£2000 I'd expect. Enough to cover some gear, not enough to get all panty-wet about paying off part of the mortgage.

I'd rather have some fun wi' it! :smile: 

Bye!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Fair enough!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Get a switcher and a loadbox or I’ll be forced to tell you you should’ve bought a switcher and a loadbox six months from now when you’re contemplating selling your Axe FX
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KHE all day long. I'm gassing for one and think it'll be a game-changer for me. Kemper and Axe are great, I've missed them at times, but nothing beats my current amp/loadbox setup, I'm absolutely loving it.

I am gonna tap you up about the high buffer thingy though, that interests me!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Yes you should def buy all that stuff (cos lets face it you prob will at some point anyways) :)

If it was me Id prob go for the axe-fx III. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ