Peavey Floyd Rose Trem Advice Anyone ?

Right, in a bid to stop this descending into a ramble I’m going to break it down into sections.

1.Background

Currently in the process of renovating/repairing a Korean Peavey Wolfgang Special for a friend. 
The key problem is his sweat is particularly corrosive. To the point that it ate through the Poly finish on the neck and began staining the wood underneath and the frets were screwed. 
Anyway I’ve removed the finish, pull the frets, re-fretted and am about to apply a new finish.

Now moving onto the hardware 

https://i.imgur.com/hIPqZdN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/omlpbuf.jpg

I’m guessing that for neck screws and plate screws I could probably just look for the closest stainless equivalent it’s the Floyd that worries me.

As you can see the trem posts in particular are rusty but so are the locking Allen keys at the front and the long Allen keys to the rear.

First issue is that the pivot screws are not standard Floyd sized, and the shape of the knife edge bevel looks different too.
Some Internet trawling suggests that Peavey uses M6 thread screws which are the same as the “coarse” thread ones used on the Jackson JT580 trem BUT would it be foolish to just change the posts (even if I can get some). Should I look to replace all the other Allen keys as well rather than have them further corrode/fail ? And if we’re being honest the plating is starting to go a bit as well so is it a better idea to replace the whole trem ?
But then that’s going to get pricey as cheap Floyds are a waste of money.

So what are the questions I’m really asking 

1. Anyone got a line on some M6 thread pivot posts that I can use ? Bonus points if you can offer stainless/titanium 

2. is it worth refreshing the bits on the existing trem ? And again if so decent stainless/titanium bits anyone ?

3. New trem ? Decent option that would fit ?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    edited July 2020
    I haven't got any experience of the Korean one, but I have a USA Peavey and a Japanese EVH, I think they are pretty good trems, seeing as it is what Ed plays, obviously the Korean one might be slightly inferior, it looks like it has inserts for the knife edges, which you could probably sharpen-it will be a short term solution. The posts look pretty corroded-but maybe you can refurbish them as well. I ordered an almost full set of stainless allen parts from FU Tone, it was not too expensive, but it wasn't cheap either, they actually threw in some parts I hadn't ordered for free to complete the set, I didn't bother with the bigger brass block.
    I know a real Floyd fits on a cheaper Kramer, cos I did it, but I couldn't guarantee it would be ok for a Korean Peavey, It would almost be worth trying to find a second hand Wolfgang really.
    In fact, I have some  stainless stuff you might be able to use for the neck plate and cavity covers as well, drop me a line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Replace. (Ideally, with something made in the Schaller factory.) This will probably involve removing the stock threaded pivot inserts.

The FR Special or 2000 is an affordable alternative but the knife edges will eventually wear out.

I want to recommend the Kahler Spyder but its arm latching mechanism might foul the Peavey vibrato cavity.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom