Transposing this teen spirit arrangemnent

What's Hot
King85King85 Frets: 631
edited July 2020 in Technique
If anyone follows Norms on youtube you may have already heard this:

TS starts at 3:40

I love this arrangement of teen spirit but I've never tried to transpose anything really before so thought I'd have a go but besides just trying to watch/listen to what he's playing I feel I may be making it harder than it needs to be and I may be missing some obvious stuff so does anyone have any advice on transposing something like this for a beginner?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DoodlegameDoodlegame Frets: 28
    Do you mean you'd like to transcribe it or that you actually want to transpose it from how it is being played here?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    It seems my grasp of English has let me down here and you're correct it was transcribe I meant, I've been looking into it a bit more since posting it and I think it's just a combo of the bass and melody that has infact been transposed to a different key?

Looking into how to play the original a bit more has helped it make more sense.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Buy the software "Transcribe!". Download the audio from YouTube and put it in a multitrack recording DAW (Audacity for free will do). Slow it down, loop bits. Listen. Watch his fingers.

Pay someone else to do it if you like, or to check your own work. Or accept that the stuff you mishear will become part of your style, as things were before it all went digital...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I don't have a guitar at hand so am unable to check. At first I thought he may be using an altered tuning, but I think it may be performed a semi-tone down from the original (F, Bb, G#, C#), so is E, A, G, C.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Yeah he's definitely playing it half a step down, thanks!
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited July 2020
    Nirvana tuned their instruments to pitch, standard tuning, and played this in F minor (all barre chords)

F Bb Ab Db

This guy’s playing as though it’s in E minor (so fingering differently from Cobain) AND he’s got his guitar tuned down a semitone so he’s playing it in Eb minor - actually D# minor - which is a whole tone below the original. 

So it looks like E A G C

But it actually sounds like D# G# F# B
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DoodlegameDoodlegame Frets: 28
    Yeah that's it then he's adding the melody on the high strings...  Good ear training but it begins 0-3-5 on e to 1 on B :)
    Should be easy enough to get down, good luck!