Steve Wright must be stopped.

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
I listened to the start of his show by accident yesterday, he introduced the song "Jack and Diane" spoke through the first third of it and played sound effects if cheering and clapping let the middle play and then talked through the last third of it, Not my favourite song, but what's wrong with this bastard? 

He should have been put into the 3am slot on local radio years ago or even better, drowned.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Yes, and by all accounts he is a bit of an arse in real life.

It's the singing along with songs that really gets on my wick though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I’m sure the BBC think it’ll collapse if he leaves...just like the Tower of London if the crows disappear....Or he knows where the bodies are buried....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    tone1 said:
    I’m sure the BBC think it’ll collapse if he leaves...just like the Tower of London if the crows disappear....Or he knows where the bodies are buried....

I know most of the people who have to work with him will probably have a party.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I can't say I listen to him often although he was never as annoying as Chris Evans was ( although no one was ever as annoying as Evans) but I have one soft spot for him: maybe a couple of years ago he had an interview with Robert Cray about his new album, I thought OMG what an embarrassing car crash of an interview this is going to be but Wright seemed to really know Cray's stuff, asked him sensible questions and played whole Cray songs. I thought Wright must be more bored of himself  than we are but once in a while he gets to do something he actually likes.   
    Who's the chap in his 'crew?' Is it Tim something? He sounds like a 14 year old, I saw him once on TV and he's older than me, his entire shtick sounding like a daft boy. 
    I wouldn't miss them.   

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    For balance, I'm a big Steve Wright fan and thoroughly enjoy his afternoon show.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Steve Wright is what the off button is put on radios for.  

But on balance his listening figures must still be very good, otherwise the BBC would have got shot of him years ago. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    RiftAmps said:
    For balance, I'm a big Steve Wright fan and thoroughly enjoy his afternoon show.
    Me too. Sort of. Wouldn't say I'm a fan but I do have a soft spot for him. I think it's a nostalgia thing: he reminds me of a simpler time (pre kids, pre-mortgage, pre-health woes, etc). Plus he often has Jamie Lee Grace in with him and she has a beautifully sexy voice. 

That said, his Friday afternoon thing 'Serious Jockin' can fuck right off. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    I used to like his characters when he was on Radio 1, Arnie would turn up occasionally and shoot the place up "uzi 9mm arsehole"

Elvis was good as well.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    He's 'not my cup of tea', but as a radio personna trying to be cheerful everyday can't be easy. The shows do seem to be fairly packed with 'features' or repeated in jokes. I guess if the listener works alone or with a bunch of half witts, listening to someone being cheerful is marginally better than some other presenters on the BBC wireless set.
    I do recall listening to him a bit when he was on R1, probably late 80s early 90s once in a while. Never made it a habit because of working in an office. I tend to go R4 now if I'm in the car and he comes on.

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I used to like his characters when he was on Radio 1, Arnie would turn up occasionally and shoot the place up "uzi 9mm arsehole"

Elvis was good as well.
    Wis.  And the chap that did the Keef and Mick voices - they were fab. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849

I don't mind him.  His show is traditional DJ fodder, oldies, new stuff, (very short) interviews with current 'stars' and passes a drive or an afternoon working at home quite well.  Sometimes I miss his show as I flip to Virgin as soon as I hear Jeremy Vine's voice and forget to change back.

I think his style of DJ has a place and I see the likes of Dermot O'Leary and Zoe Ball as carrying on in a similar style.  Anything is better than some of the 'Hey, look at me, I'm wacky', garbage that some stations seem to favour.

Still think the best two guys on radio are Bob Harris and Johnnie Walker

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    ESBlonde said:
    He's 'not my cup of tea', but as a radio personna trying to be cheerful everyday can't be easy. The shows do seem to be fairly packed with 'features' or repeated in jokes. I guess if the listener works alone or with a bunch of half witts, listening to someone being cheerful is marginally better than some other presenters on the BBC wireless set.
    I do recall listening to him a bit when he was on R1, probably late 80s early 90s once in a while. Never made it a habit because of working in an office. I tend to go R4 now if I'm in the car and he comes on.

If the BBC hand you a  wedge as hefty  as Steve Wright’s, I’d have thought being cheerful everyday is a bloody piece of cake, no trying involved. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396

It's the singing along with songs that really gets on my wick though.
    This. A thousand times this.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Let me put it this way if I was in a room with a gun with one bullet and had to choose between Steve Wright or Adolf Hitler, Hitler would be having tea at home that night.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    8reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    McToot said:

Elvis was good as well.
    Wis.  And the chap that did the Keef and Mick voices - they were fab. 
    I think it was Phil Cornwell that did some of the characters, not sure who did Arnie

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Benefits of lockdown and working from home is I haven't been subjected to Radio 2 whilst having a crap at work (they have it playing in our canteen and loos)

Can't stand him, or his fawning co-hosts.
    Ask Elvis:

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I can't say I listen to him much these days but I've got nothing against the guy.

He came up with the whole anarchic 'zoo' format. A combination of music, interviews, comedy and contributions from the 'posse'.

In his prime he made people like DLT, Blackburn and the other Smashie and Niceys look like geriatric dinosaurs.

The 'zoo' format has been very successful. Moyles, Evans, etc. In fact Evans pretty much used the format for TFI Friday. 

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited July 2020
    He obviously loves what he does, and now there’s so much radio choice to satisfy everyone...He has got great taste in music I think too.... but he does drive me to distraction at times... but I rarely have radio 2 on these days since Wogan departed the airwaves...maybe Popmaster if i remember...
    Steve Wright didn't invent the Zoo radio format, he pinched it from the USA radio shows

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom